Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to mgianetto
Mein Auto: 2003 540 Sport
Exclamation Alarm goes off for no reason

I am not sure why this is happening but my alarm goes off out of the blue. I have been near the car and the siren and lights flash with out anything touching it. The windows are up and the sunroof is closed so nothing is moving in the car. Could a shadow cause this?

How do you lock without the alarm being set?

It seems that this started just after I installed the new battery.

DABEARS

I have learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others..
they are more screwed up than you think.

RIP: 2000 540 Sport
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgianetto View Post
I am not sure why this is happening but my alarm goes off out of the blue. I have been near the car and the siren and lights flash with out anything touching it. The windows are up and the sunroof is closed so nothing is moving in the car. Could a shadow cause this?

How do you lock without the alarm being set?

It seems that this started just after I installed the new battery.
This usually ends up being the hood alarm sensor, but theres 2 things id try. When locking the car hit the lock button twice (disables interior motion sensor and tilt sensor) if you still get random alarms disconect the hood sensor (its on top in the engine compartment, to the left of the right interior air filter). If that solves your problem then leave it disconnected or buy a new one. As far as i know you cant lock the doors without arming the alarm because even if you use the key to lock the doors it arms, however any bmw dealership can disable that feature for you (for a fee )
Old 10-06-2008, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: BMW '08 535i
dannyc9997 pretty much nailed the answers. Not sure if it will work on your car but on my '08 535i through iDrive I set it to re-lock after unlocking if no door is opened after a short period of time. This way no alarm is set.

dj
Dark Poplar
6 Sp Manual
Sport
Premium
Rear Shades

BMW CCA #392316
Old 10-06-2008, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i (01/2000 mfg.)
I'm with dannyc9997, usually it's the hood alarm switch that is the old design. Replacing it with the newer one fixes the problem but since you have a 2003 e39 I'm sure the updated switch is supplied already.

As for locking the car without arming the alarm you need to exit the car, close the front driver's door, enter the car through the rear driver's door and keep it open while you hit the central lock button to lock the three other doors, then pull the rear driver interior door handle out while pushing the lock down on the door to lock the final door. Close the door and your e39 is locked without the alarm engaged. Hit the regular unlock button on the key fob to unlock it. Obviously this should be used only as a temporary workaround.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB. View Post
I'm with dannyc9997, usually it's the hood alarm switch that is the old design. Replacing it with the newer one fixes the problem but since you have a 2003 e39 I'm sure the updated switch is supplied already.

As for locking the car without arming the alarm you need to exit the car, close the front driver's door, enter the car through the rear driver's door and keep it open while you hit the central lock button to lock the three other doors, then pull the rear driver interior door handle out while pushing the lock down on the door to lock the final door. Close the door and your e39 is locked without the alarm engaged. Hit the regular unlock button on the key fob to unlock it. Obviously this should be used only as a temporary workaround.
Ok that is crazy to do. I was told that the Indy shop can run the fault code to find the culprit.
Thanks guys.

DABEARS

Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: '10 Genesis V8 Tech
Just unplug the hood alarm switch. If the alarm stops acting, you know that you only need to spend $25 on a new hood switch.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJB. View Post

Wow thats a crazy way to lock your doors I think it would be easyer to lock all the doors, open the drivers door (it will unlock) hold in the door press switch and push down drivers lock then (make sure you have your keys ) close the door.

Edit: Nevermind I just tried that and it doesnt work....played with it for awhile and ended up with my door unable to close because I moved that locking mechanism (I have no idea what it is but I always seem to get in trouble when I play with them, also on the trunk lol) took me a few scary moments but pulled the door handle and it opened again

Last edited by dannyc9997; 10-06-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:54 AM

Mein Auto: E39 525 TDS
My alarm also goes off for no reason at all. So i've gotten used to always 'doubleclick' the lock button on the remote. Doubleclick = click it twice within 3 seconds to disable motion, tilt and electronics sensors.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:05 AM

Fixed.. Spare Fog light???

Ok it was the bonnet switch. It was the only code that was tripped. Getting it today.

Now another weird thing was the alarm sensor was sensing the rear windows were open when the were closed. Well I hope this is the last of the annoying alarm going off for no reasons.

Anybody have a right side fog light laying around? The housing is broken on mine and need to fix it.

DABEARS