Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-27-2008, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 528i
Buzzing noise behind Temp controls

Hi,

I have a slight buzzing sound behind the temperature contols on my 98 528i. The noise is constant even without the key in the ignition. At first I thought it was the fan but it is'nt. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2008, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 540i
I have this as well! haven't been able to find anything on it though, it's annoying.

If i park the car overnight for example, i'll hear it in the morning. After the car warms up it seems to go away.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:06 AM
VA makes me miss WA

Mein Auto: 2001 ///M5
Hows your battery? Could be your aux fan continuing to run even without the car running eventually killing your battery. Could be the good ol' FSR/FSU problem. IF it is, 75$ or so to fix, less than 30 mins to replace.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:51 PM

Mein Auto: 540i
it's not a fan noise, it's sounds like static buzzing sound. Sounds like a bee is trapped inside And i have replaced my FSU which fixed the A/C issue, but this buzz was there before and is still there after the replacement.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:57 PM

Thanks guys. I have had a closer look this morning and have noticed that the buzzing noise begins when I open the door with the keyless entry. It goes away after 10 minutes if
i dont put the key in the ignition. It may be linked to the transmission illumination on the console because the illuminated red dot stays on for quite a while and when it goes out the buzzing sound behind the temp control stops.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cars
It indeed is a fan - the one that draws in air to check the temp so your HVAC system can work properly.

If it gets clogged, it buzzes, check this board and bmwtips.com for how to clean it.

Bill
'71 2002 Green/Black - GONE
Old 09-28-2008, 05:17 AM

Hi Bill,

I have searched the forum and all I could find was a post that said to vacum the left side grille. I sthis correct? If not , do you know how to clean it?

Thanks,
Damian
Old 09-28-2008, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
It indeed is a fan - the one that draws in air to check the temp so your HVAC system can work properly.

If it gets clogged, it buzzes, check this board and bmwtips.com for how to clean it.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramuta View Post
Hi Bill,

I have searched the forum and all I could find was a post that said to vacum the left side grille. I sthis correct? If not , do you know how to clean it?

Thanks,
Damian
Bill is correct. There is a small fan inside the HVAC control unit that draws the cabin's air inside across some kinda thermo-sensor reading thing-a-ma-bob which prepares the auto-climate control to adjust the cabin's interior temperature that is set.

Here's an image of it taken by "Mario" from Bimmerboard.com's e38 forum:

And yes, it is tied into the P-Bus along with the little orange light on the gear shift panel...which comes on as soon as the door handle is lifted, or the key fob is activated and remains on for 16 minutes after the ignition is shut off. That is why it always seems to be on whenever you are in the car.

If you look at the left "grid" on the HVAC control panel...you'll probably see that it is clogged with dust. Over the years dust accumulates on the grid and on the little fan. The HVAC control panel can be removed from the dash and opened up to access the little fan which sits on a little pin sticking up off the circuit board...and it's held there by a magnet...so all you have to do is lift it off to clean it.

To make the little fan a bit "quieter" some have lubricated it with some 3-and-1 oil...if you just clean the dust off of it...it may still make a little noise but will be somewhat quieter.

Mario (from Bimmerboard.com) did a write-up on how to remove the HVAC control unit and open it up to access the little fan. Although his write-up is for the e38's unit which has a different layout and choices of control buttons...the basic design is still the same. Find the instructions on how to remove the panel from the e39's dash...then follow Mario's instructions on how to open up the HVAC control unit...its not hard to do at all:

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/428942
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 10-18-2008 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: E39 M5
I had that problem too. clean and lubricate that little fan and it will fix the problem
Old 10-18-2008, 03:05 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i Motor Sport
Is this my problem too? Battery Drain

Hi after reading this post i am wondering if this is what is causing my battery drain.
I have replaced the battery and the car worked ok for several months then one morning the damm thing was dead no life in the battery at all. In fact the battery was so dead it had no power for the instrument panel.

The day before i moved the car of the drive, it started fine and put it in the garage over night. The following morning it was dead.

2 things i noticed, while having lunch in my car one day i noticed the heater fan start and stop ever 45 seconds. It did not speed up to its full speed just enough so i could hear it.

the car seemed to be ok for a few days and then again the same thing full battery drain.

I jump started the car took it for a hours drive and when i returned home i parked it and sat in it for 20 mins listening. It was only then i noticed a very slight buzzing sound from behind the AC control panel. It was ver slight in fact i only noticed it when i was picking the hand book of the passenger floor.

I removed fuse 9 the buzzing stopped, and the car started this morning. i have no AC control no blower or heater at the moment.

Can this little fan drain a good battery over night?

If you have any suggestions please help this damm thing is driving me crazy.

Kev

BMW 525i M-Sport 2.5 lt straight 6 2001
Old 10-18-2008, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post

...it is tied into the P-Bus along with the little orange light on the gear shift panel...which comes on as soon as the door handle is lifted, or the key fob is activated and remains on for 16 minutes after the ignition is shut off. That is why it always seems to be on whenever you are in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard1701 View Post
...2 things i noticed, while having lunch in my car one day i noticed the heater fan start and stop ever 45 seconds. It did not speed up to its full speed just enough so i could hear it...I removed fuse 9 the buzzing stopped, and the car started this morning. i have no AC control no blower or heater at the moment.

Can this little fan drain a good battery over night?

If you have any suggestions please help this damm thing is driving me crazy.

Kev

BMW 525i M-Sport 2.5 lt straight 6 2001
Your issue sounds more like a failing FSU (final stage unit) that controls the HVAC blower. Do a search using "FSU" as the keyword...this has been discussed a lot. Or you can probably find write-ups about it at www.bmwtips.com and www.e38.org/e39 ...plus lots of discussion in the archives here.

There's a BIG difference between the HVAC blower vs the little thermistor fan inside the HVAC control panel that is pictured above.

Good luck.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 10-21-2008, 07:01 AM

Man this is more strange, i removed Fuse 9 which cuts all power to the A/C unit, this also stopped the buzzing. While this fuse is out i have no A/C what so ever, no fans nothing and yet the damm thing died again today, worked on at 8:45am and now its 15:01 and its not starting no life in the battery.

Can it still be the FSU??

Kev
Old 11-01-2008, 06:30 AM

Sorted FSU, nice one guys!!!! I owe yer a beer....not that i endorse drink driving....you would spill it :-)