Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 1998 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Will try to stop by the local dealership (they guys that defrauded my friends) because the dealership parts department doesn't even answer the phone (888-648-3446).

I've called them four times this morning ... and all I can do is leave a message.

So, not only did they defraud my friends, but this local dealership (Stevens Creek BMW) doesnt' even answer their phone.

Wow. They couldn't make this harder.

BTW, I measured the wipers on my 2002 525i E39 to be roughly 25" and 22" (not 26" and 22").
Isn't there any other dealer in your area "Bluebee"? Aren't you in the Bay Area?

Also, I just bought some wiper blade inserts from the dealership a couple weeks ago, I was out the door within five minutes and paid a tad over five dollars. The only I had to do was cut them down to size, which is really not a big deal.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
What kind of parts department doesn't answer a phone all day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Isn't there any other dealer in your area "Bluebee"? Aren't you in the Bay Area?
I just called them again (the seventh time today) and they again, did not answer. What kinds of parts department doesn't answer their phone all day?

Can someone else confirm this (or is it just me)???

PS: I'll look up another dealership but this one is on my way home.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 PM

Wiper inserts in California are from $23 to $50 out the door

Quote:
what kind of parts department doesn't answer their phone?
PARTS GUY DOES NOT ANSWER PHONE:
Stevens Creek BMW 800-486-2171 http://www.scbmw.com

PARTS GUY ANSWERS PHONE:
BMW of Fremont 888-208-9746 http://www.bmwoffremont.com

The parts guy at BMW of Fremont was VERY helpful (in utter contrast to the known fraudsters at Stevens Creek BMW).

Here is what he told me about the BMW wiper blade inserts:
61-61-8-217-711 is $23 each + CA tax ~= $50 for the pair
61-61-0-154-441 is $10.50 each + CA tax ~= $23 for the pair

These prices are reasonable but still, absolutely not even close in terms of percentages (hundreds of percent off) from the prices you guys have been quoting.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to dannyc9997
Mein Auto: 540i
I have never used the phrase "To make a mountain out of an anthill".....I guess there is a first time for everything.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I just called them again (the seventh time today) and they again, did not answer. What kinds of parts department doesn't answer their phone all day?

Can someone else confirm this (or is it just me)???

PS: I'll look up another dealership but this one is on my way home.
I just called them a couple of times too and no answer, after reading a couple of reviews of this place on-line, it doesn't surprise me.

Well I decided to call BMW of Mountain View, they answered right away and they have the re-fill blades in stock for the price of $8 each, which is a bit high.....

There phone number is (650) 943-1000
Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
These prices are reasonable but still, absolutely not even close in terms of percentages (hundreds of percent off) from the prices you guys have been quoting.
I tried another BMW dealership, about 15 or 20 miles away.

PARTS GUY ALSO ANSWERS PHONE:
BMW of Mountain View 877-845-1713 http://www.bmwofmountainview.com

Likewise, this parts guy at BMW of Mountain View was also helpful. Neither of the parts guys knew anything about wipers, as they didn't even understand my basic questions, but, they both quoted the prices once I gave them the part numbers.

Here is what he told me about the BMW wiper blade inserts:
61-61-8-217-711 is $25 each + CA tax ~= $54 for the pair
61-61-0-154-441 is $15 each + CA tax ~= $33 for the pair

Based on these three dealers only, I'd say the following:
- The parts guys know next to nothing about the wiper blade inserts
- The price is vastly more than people are saying it is
- The "441" is the way to go and, even at inflated prices, is what I'll do
Old 12-01-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc9997 View Post
I guess there is a first time for everything.
Hi Danny,
I'm confused. Are you referring to the fact that the prices quoted here are vastly out of whack with those posted in this thread? Or are you referring to the fact the diagrams quote a part number that everyone here says not to buy? Or are you referring to the fact that the dealership, even after a half dozen phone calls, doesn't pick up the phone? Or the fact that we know more about wiper blades, here on Bimmerfest, than the parts guys at the two dealerships that did answer the phone?

I'm confused.

Last edited by bluebee; 12-01-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I decided to call BMW of Mountain View, they answered right away and they have the re-fill blades in stock for the price of $8 each, which is a bit high.....(650) 943-1000
Hmmm.... At the same time you were posting, I was also calling BMW of Mountain View. The parts guy answered right away, as you said, but, when I specifically asked about the part numbers, he definitely gave me a price twice as high as what you were quoted.

I just called your local parts number (I had used the toll-free number of 877-845-1713. Michelle answered; she passed me to Jesus; Jesus confirmed the price is $15 each for the "441" ($33 for the E39 wiper insert set, with tax) and said it covers my 2002 525i. I'm not sure how you got $8 but I asked Jesus and he said, kind of matter of factly, "this part pretty much covers all BMWs and it's definitely $15 for each rubber insert".

Last edited by bluebee; 12-01-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Hi Danny,
I'm confused. Are you referring to the fact that the prices quoted here are vastly out of whack with those posted in this thread? Or are you referring to the fact the diagrams quote a part number that everyone here says not to buy? Or are you referring to the fact that the dealership, even after a half dozen phone calls, doesn't pick up the phone? Or the fact that we know more about wiper blades, here on Bimmerfest, than the parts guys at the two dealerships that did answer the phone?

I'm confused.

What is your input (i.e., added value) on the wiper blade inserts?

Donna
Im talking about the fact that such a simple part to your car (wiper blades) has been so difficult for you to attain. I understand that you havent been able to get in touch with one dealer, but did get in touch with another. When you spoke with the parts man at the other dealer, did you specifically ask for just the rubber inserts? They cannot possibly, in any market charge 33$ a side for a peice of rubber. Forget the part number, they know how to look up part numbers, have you described in detail the exact part you want? If they actually told you that im really in shock. I will go buy some tomorow and send them to you

Last edited by dannyc9997; 12-01-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Hmmm.... At the same time you were posting, I was also calling BMW of Mountain View. The parts guy answered right away, as you said, but, when I specifically asked about the part numbers, he definitely gave me a price twice as high as what you were quoted.

I just called your local parts number (I had used the toll-free number of 877-845-1713. Michelle answered; she passed me to Jesus; Jesus confirmed the price is $15 each for the "441" ($33 for the E39 wiper insert set, with tax) and said it covers my 2002 525i. I'm not sure how you got $8 but I asked Jesus and he said, kind of matter of factly, "this part pretty much covers all BMWs and it's definitely $15 for each rubber insert".

That's pretty weird......

I'm also curious how BMW dealerships have different prices for the same exact thing. When I bought mine a couple of weeks ago, mine were five bucks per piece. I stopped in the Chico BMW
Old 12-01-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I'm also curious how BMW dealerships have different prices for the same exact thing
I agree it's wierd. I specifically asked for the specific part numbers. I called three dealers. Two always answered the phone. One never did.

Both who answered the phone gave prices listed above. One I even called twice and got the same price (from the same guy, mind you). Anyone else can confirm my results with a simple phone call. I don't think my information is wrong since I was very clear on the part number and so were they on the price.

Do others think the same BMW dealers often quote different prices to different people for the same part if you ask by part number? Is that your experience? Maybe if a different voice asks, you get different answers depending on whom they think they can take advantage of? I wouldn't have thought so. Maybe someone else can call tomorrow and see if it comes out at $8 or more than double that like I got (twice).
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM

61-61-0-154-441 is ~= $23 & $33 for the pair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyc9997 View Post
Im talking about the fact that such a simple part to your car (wiper blades) has been so difficult for you to attain ... did you specifically ask for just the rubber inserts?
Hi Danny,
I was very clear.

I gave both dealers both part numbers and they both quoted the prices I listed. Anyone can check my results and report back since I provided toll-free numbers for each (and even listed the guy's name who provided the quote). The second time I called, I even mentioned that all I wanted was the rubber inserts.

I even asked each BMW dealer what the difference was between the part numbers that were listed earlier on this thread from the realoem diagrams (they didn't know so I gave up on asking them that as it was clear they didn't understand the wiper inserts the way we do).

What is clear is that two dealers quoted similar prices which boil down to
61-61-8-217-711 is ~= $50 & $54 out the door for the pair
61-61-0-154-441 is ~= $23 & $33 out the door for the pair

The results are trivial to verify so I stand by them; but it would be nice for a third person to confirm given the huge discrepancy in this thread. Maybe they don't like my voice.

BTW, Danny, I use the same inquisitive enthusiasm for simple parts & BMW repairs as I do for more complex BMW parts & repairs, even extending to BMW tools and fluids and to BMW fixes and modifications. It's all interesting to me to learn from you how my blue bmw is built and how it works.

Last edited by bluebee; 12-01-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Hi Danny,
I was very clear.

I gave both dealers both part numbers and they both quoted the prices I listed. Anyone can check my results and report back since I provided toll-free numbers for each (and even listed the guy's name who provided the quote). The second time I called, I even mentioned that all I wanted was the rubber inserts.

I even asked each BMW dealer what the difference was between the part numbers that were listed earlier on this thread from the realoem diagrams (they didn't know so I gave up on asking them that as it was clear they didn't understand the wiper inserts the way we do).

What is clear is that two dealers quoted similar prices which boil down to
61-61-8-217-711 is ~= $50 & $54 out the door for the pair
61-61-0-154-441 is ~= $23 & $33 out the door for the pair

The results are trivial to verify so I stand by them; but it would be nice for a third person to confirm given the huge discrepancy in this thread. Maybe they don't like my voice.

BTW, Danny, I use the same inquisitive enthusiasm for simple parts & BMW repairs as I do for more complex BMW parts & repairs, even extending to BMW tools and fluids and to BMW fixes and modifications. It's all interesting to me to learn from you how my blue bmw is built and how it works.
Alright then. I see your very thorough in your posts, so im sure your doing the same in your phone calls to the dealer. Do you think it might be helpfull to do this in person though? Id even take in the part (wiper rubber) and show them exactly what you want.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Bluebee...it would be cheaper to purchase them from a BMW dealer like Tisher PLUS pay the shipping than buy them locally.

Perhaps if you went to the Tishcer site and inserted the 61 61 0 154 441 part nbr in their part search ($3.30 MSRP - $2.64 out the door)...then print out the results...then took that with you to your local BMW dealer's part dept and asked them if they match other BMW dealers prices...maybe you'd get better pricing.

As it stands...$33-$54 dollars for two little wiper inserts is price gouging at its finest!!!

Here's a direct link to Tishcer BMWs parts search site....they sell $2.64 ea wiper blade refills: http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=214672
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 12-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Too good to be true that you could buy wiper refills at the local BMW dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
Tishcer BMWs parts search site....they sell $2.64 ea wiper blade refills:
Thanks QSilver7 for the kind advice that others can benefit from also.

I'm gonna go to Tishcer for the wiper refills and also get my windshield cover molding and driver-side door neoprene molding at the same time (given that many E39 owners seem to have this premature rubber-disintegration problem anyway).

Interestingly, I called the fraudsters at Stevens Creek BMW one last time today (800-486-2171), and, guess what. Nobody answered at the retail parts department. Yet again. Sigh.

In summary, it was too counter-intuitive to be true to just go to the local BMW dealership (we tried three of 'em) ... nor was it intuitive to go with the part number in the realoem online database ... but ... with bimmerfest help ... we in the San Francisco Bay Area now know to go with Tishcer or someone out of state (to eliminate the huge California sales tax).
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 12-02-2008, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 01 540i/6
I think I know what bluebee is going thru. I try not to go to the dealer and ask for parts right on the counter. my experience with dealerships is 10 out of 10 the phone price is cheaper than the just-show-up price. thats why he takes the time to call and ask for a quote before heading out

what I did in my case was I just took down my wipers and went to a store. got a set of michelin wiper refills and it fit perfectly. no cutting, no mending. total time 30minutes (incl driving time to and fro)
Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: '07 335xi 6MT 4door
Quote:
Originally Posted by z168 View Post
I think I know what bluebee is going thru. I try not to go to the dealer and ask for parts right on the counter. my experience with dealerships is 10 out of 10 the phone price is cheaper than the just-show-up price. thats why he takes the time to call and ask for a quote before heading out

what I did in my case was I just took down my wipers and went to a store. got a set of michelin wiper refills and it fit perfectly. no cutting, no mending. total time 30minutes (incl driving time to and fro)
Dealers must vary greatly in customer service. I don't visit the Charlottesville, VA dealer very often, but they actually seem to be quite capable, even in the part dept. Never a hassle, always a good price (unless you have them do actual work, then it's pricier, but isn't that always the case?). One time they did some minor work on my old e36, and I was going to wait at the shop. It was taking too long due to some problems on other vehicles causing a delay, and we were up against a weekend. They gladly threw me the keys to a brand new X5 on the lot and told me to come back Monday if I could. Now THAT'S customer service--3-day nice loaner for a $100 service visit.

'07 335xi 6-spd 4dr, Montego blue
'98 540i 6-spd Sport, Jet Black II(sold)
'92 325i 5-spd 4dr, burgundy(sold)
Old 12-02-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveho View Post
Dealers must vary greatly in customer service.
In contrast, a good friend of mine, the one who talked me into BMW, went to the local dealership to get a replacement battery ($125) but they said the battery couldn't be replaced without "extensive diagnostic tests" which they charged $300 additional for and even asked for an extra $60 because of the extensive test needed. In the end, he asked for the diagnostic report and the SA wrote "14.8" volts in pencil on a blank form. That was it for him (and that's enough for me!).
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
I just got them from Pelicanparts
The part#: 61-61-8-217-711-M78 and is 5 bux. Is listed as OEM, and you have to cut it for your length (so it can be used for left or right).
I did not went into all that hanal disection, just typed wiper blades refill, and bingo, the info you need is right there, and that's I what I needed & wanted. End of story.
You did an awsome job with the brake ranting post(s), Blue, but c'mon now.
Imagine you need a screw or a nut...........
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 12-02-2008, 05:25 PM

Threads get long when the answers continue to be wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx540 View Post
Who would have thought there would be this long a thread on wipers?
I think partly it's long because I'm looking for the right answer and we got lots and lots of (what turned out to be) wrong answers (at least for my three local dealerships).

We finally found the right answer, but, not after more than eight (8) suggestions saying the local dealer (is, should be, might be) cheaper when they were all wrong (as it turns out in the SF Bay area anyway). Very wrong.

Another reason is that the BMW parts diagram is (now so obviously) wrong.

Add to that the fact the BMW part number on realoem also turns out to be mostly wrong (given the recommendations that came out of this thread)...

So, until you know the answer, we finally get to the right answer (at least given my three local dealerships).
And, once you already know the right answer, (which is different for different locales as it turns out), then it's trivially simple.

I'm not blaming anyone ... I'm just explaining three reasons why something as simple as a wiper would have a more lengthy thread than one would otherwise expect.

Last edited by bluebee; 12-03-2008 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 01 540i/6
Quote:
they charged $300 additional for and even asked for an extra $60 because of the extensive test needed. In the end, he asked for the diagnostic report and the SA wrote "14.8" volts in pencil on a blank form.
priceless
Old 12-02-2008, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 98 540iA
I paid $6.60 each for 61-61-0-154-441 at dealership, and service manager installed them for me. He trimmed passenger side to size manually.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
In contrast, a good friend of mine, the one who talked me into BMW, went to the local dealership to get a replacement battery ($125) but they said the battery couldn't be replaced without "extensive diagnostic tests" which they charged $300 additional for and even asked for an extra $60 because of the extensive test needed. In the end, he asked for the diagnostic report and the SA wrote "14.8" volts in pencil on a blank form. That was it for him (and that's enough for me!).
Whaaaaaaattt?? that is a time to contact BMWNA
Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Univ. of OOPS!

Mein Auto: '00 540i6
I wish we could just trust any BMW dealer to support their product and help us when we need it.

Hmmm? OH, ahem,...ack, phht...excuse me, must have been dreamin' there a bit.

Well, hell, that's why we have Bimmerfest isn't it?!

Okay, back to

M5 front bumper /// Clear corner depo39s w/ CCFL AEs /// Muted roundels /// chrome kidneys /// Projector Fogs /// Parrot bluetooth
Old 12-03-2008, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528 sport, 86 GN
Lightbulb

hmmm, ask the dealer for the wrong part numbers and get quoted a price different then what you expect.

This may help in the future....
step 1 walk in with part
step 2 ask how much
step 3 make decision to purchase or not
step 4 buy

Alternate steps*
ask for part number
install blades

So easy a cave man can do it