Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 01-15-2009, 10:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW M5
M5 SMG or Manual

OK, I have been trying very hard to wrap my hands around this question....SMG or Manual.

Here is my situation, I am looking to purchase an '06 or '07 M5 and I am seeing some interesting trends as far as pricing goes. I have noticed that '07 w/Manual is priced the same as SMG's of '06. I am not sure why that is, but my dilemma is whether to get the '06 SMG which is a year older and thus will have a year less factory warranty or to go with a newer '07 with the stick. To sum it up, is the compromise of a year's warranty enough to validate going with the SMG or on the other hand is the '07 a no brainer. I love driving manual cars but I have read far too many a complaint about the weakness that exists within the manual. This includes the slower times and the fact that you can't turn off DSC in the manual thus making the massive V-10 less responsive and less engaging with the transmission. Any words of advice would greatly help. BTW...I have had several sticks and currently have a '05 645 SMG.
Ads by Google
Old 01-16-2009, 02:14 PM

Mein Auto: 650i con,spt,6spd,blksaph
I feel your pain, I had a 2006 650 manual but replaced it with a 2006 m5 smg about a year ago. I had a hard time deciding on which way to go. Personnaly I was tired of changing gears around town. I have found the smg to be a versitile option. It dosen't replace the feel of the maual but comes as close as possible. I also enjoy turing off the DSC and lighting up the tires on occasion. On a slow run with four people in the car I keep the hp power off and use the automatic mode and it turns into a subtle driver, not something you can do in a maual. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 PM

Hey 650/drive...thanks for your response. It is quite a dilemma isn't it...Well i pulled the trigger on an '07 M5 earlier today. They made me a pretty good deal and I could not say no. The M is truly awesome car. I guess time will tell if the Manual was a good idea. It is a double edged sword sometimes...most cannot drive a stick but sometimes that is a valuable thing to keep people from driving your car...BTW the SMG is a pretty good deterrent the second someone gets in it and rolls back a little.

Thanks again for the response...
Old 01-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Sleeper

Mein Auto: E60 M5/E39 M5
smg is a little faster than the 6 speed manuel which they moved from a 550i/650i. the drivelogic smg have many different shift pattern and its fun to drive. i used to love the traditional 6 speed on the e39 m, but adopt and accept to the new technology is a great change as well.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
I would have gone SMG. It is more versatile IMO. I have a 6-Speed M3 and SMG M5 and yep, I prefer the SMG.

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 01-22-2009, 07:07 AM

gbelton thanks for your response...I really want to get to the bottom of whether or not I made the right decision. Can you elaborate on the versatility? I totally understand that there is a certain ease of drive with the SMG w/o the clutch for some and I also understand that it is easy for those that you let to drive your vehicle to drive the SMG especially in the case that they do not know how to drive a manual. Is there anything else that I am missing? Truthfully since the M5 is not my daily driver the clutch thing is not an issue and as far as others driving the vehicle goes, the less the better(this may be just me but I don't like others that don't understand the car to drive...i.e my wife) Is there anything else that I am missing? I also understand the DSC thing but it looks like it can be defeated in the manual as well.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
SMG shifts are quicker than manual but some might argue that SMG lacks that "it" feeling that a manual exudes.

In SMG, you have the ability to select various shift programs/packages for real quick shifts to not so quick shifts. It has been mentioned that S85 was designed to be far more compatible with SMG than manual.

Also, the purpose of additional SMG 7th gear is to reduce engine speed and torque gaps.
The gear change times are increased by 20 per cent.

The advantage is a smooth and super slick gear-change, accomplished at speeds impossible to reach even by the most proficient driver, thus smoothing out the traditional imperfections in the power flow through the gears.

Again, I have heard (just heard) that manual heats up after few laps on the track. Not that every M5 driver tracks his/her car.

This entire BS aside, you made a great decision by going for an M5, be it manual or SMG, they are slightly different in complexity but the beast is still the same.
Have no regrets, just enjoy it.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Wink Either is Fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodali1 View Post
gbelton thanks for your response...I really want to get to the bottom of whether or not I made the right decision. Can you elaborate on the versatility? I totally understand that there is a certain ease of drive with the SMG w/o the clutch for some and I also understand that it is easy for those that you let to drive your vehicle to drive the SMG especially in the case that they do not know how to drive a manual. Is there anything else that I am missing? Truthfully since the M5 is not my daily driver the clutch thing is not an issue and as far as others driving the vehicle goes, the less the better(this may be just me but I don't like others that don't understand the car to drive...i.e my wife) Is there anything else that I am missing? I also understand the DSC thing but it looks like it can be defeated in the manual as well.
Sorry for the delay. You made the right decision if you are happy. It's all a matter of taste.

Personally and this is subject based on my opinion. Simply put, the Sequential Manual Gear brings a sense of control in both the paddles and the shifter, with it's simplicity of gear manipulation while keeping my eyes on the road and both hands on the steering wheel. I drive spirited often (Defensive driver trained) and I prefer the interaction the paddle-shifters offer. The shifting is lighting quick. My wife can drive a 6-Speed but prefers the SMG because it is easier for her and safer (In her mind) for when she drives it.

There are a lot of people who do not understand the M5 (SMG or 6-Speed), it's a technical marvel. With that, all the items you mentioned are true. I read about the DSC option, but that never concerned me. I drive in M-Mode, with S5 & M-Dynamic. I do not track the car, so I do not need to be in S6 with DSC off.

The SMG as you know was built for the 7-Speed transmission and the 6-Speed Manual was retrofit/re-design to use the E39 M5 transmission. Nothing wrong with that, just making mention.

Hey, good luck with your M5. Can you post some pics?

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li