Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 S4
Yep. Grill is too big... I don't get it - BMW just doesn't do well with their designs. Either they get it all wrong from the get go, or they do just a "passable" job with the initial introduction only to require mid-cycle refreshes to correct the design deficiencies. Why can't they get it right the first time? Poor execution, IMO.

I haven't seen a BMW series with the "wow" design factor in years. The drives always met my expectations, but the designs (especially the exteriors) always had some sort of a flaw or awkwardness to them. Very disappointed I must say.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
I can only hope BMW doesn't mess with the F10 the same way as the 7 series, theres alot at stake, and they can't afford to screw up. Its about evolution not revolution when it comes to BMW design they need to stick with this approach. If you build it right they will sell right, its not rocket science to understand that.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3 View Post
Yep. Grill is too big... I don't get it - BMW just doesn't do well with their designs. Either they get it all wrong from the get go, or they do just a "passable" job with the initial introduction only to require mid-cycle refreshes to correct the design deficiencies. Why can't they get it right the first time? Poor execution, IMO.

I haven't seen a BMW series with the "wow" design factor in years. The drives always met my expectations, but the designs (especially the exteriors) always had some sort of a flaw or awkwardness to them. Very disappointed I must say.
Actually 6 series came out very very well. That bangle butt on the 6 actually got positive reviews and not negatives as the 7 did. The tail lights and the whole design of the exterior of the 6 is just stunning
Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM
(Insert one liner here)

Mein Auto: Tha 'Runner
It's a nice car, but not near the road presence of the e39.

Nunquam non paratus
Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucardes View Post
Actually 6 series came out very very well. That bangle butt on the 6 actually got positive reviews and not negatives as the 7 did. The tail lights and the whole design of the exterior of the 6 is just stunning
I strongly disagree. The 6 series design isn't very sharp; spotting a 6 series on the road is difficult. It's marginal, hardly stunning, IMO.

The current 7 series design is terrible. It makes the car look way too big. yes, the butt is huge. The side is like concrete slab. yes, the headlights are teary. Compared to that, the E38 is wonderful. The interior of current 7 is also bad, showing no clue of a sports sedan.

The new 7 definitely improves upon the current one. BMW is about sport - agility and speed. The new design, especially from the side, definitely gives that sense. The tail lights may try to reinforce that notion but the shape is odd. The front lights are so so and the grille borrowed from the CS concept doesn't quite match the flow of the car.

I'm not a fan of Bangle. Except the 5, 3 series coupe, and maybe the X5/X6, most of the designs are terrible - Z4, X3, 7. These designs call too much attention to themselves and as a whole do not shape up the vehicle well.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 PM
(Insert one liner here)

Mein Auto: Tha 'Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
I strongly disagree. The 6 series design isn't very sharp; spotting a 6 series on the road is difficult. It's marginal, hardly stunning, IMO.

The current 7 series design is terrible. It makes the car look way too big. yes, the butt is huge. The side is like concrete slab. yes, the headlights are teary. Compared to that, the E38 is wonderful. The interior of current 7 is also bad, showing no clue of a sports sedan.

The new 7 definitely improves upon the current one. BMW is about sport - agility and speed. The new design, especially from the side, definitely gives that sense. The tail lights may try to reinforce that notion but the shape is odd. The front lights are so so and the grille borrowed from the CS concept doesn't quite match the flow of the car.

I'm not a fan of Bangle. Except the 5, 3 series coupe, and maybe the X5/X6, most of the designs are terrible - Z4, X3, 7. These designs call too much attention to themselves and as a whole do not shape up the vehicle well.
+1, Very well stated. The z4 reminds me of a sucker fish... lol

Nunquam non paratus
Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 S4
I agree with most of what was said here. It's funny that for the most part we are all bitching about how bad the BMW designs are - yet we still go out and buy them! (I know it's for the performance and handling). But imagine how sales will pick up if they can just get their designs right.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325i
driver-centric cockpit is the best..i lloooove my E46 interior...however what is with these wierd looking shifters...

2009 BMW 328i Coupe, Space Gray, Black Leather, Gray Poplar Wood Trim, Sport Package, Premium Package, 6 Speed Steptronic, Xenons, Ipod USB, Sirius

2005 BMW 325i, Electric Red, Sand Leather, M Lip Spoiler, M-Tech Aero Kit, Aux Audio In, Myrtle Wood Trim, Premium Package, 5 Speed Steptronic, Xenon Lights, Harmon Kardon Sound System, PDC, OEM Alarm
Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: My bike
E38 750iL Sport FTW
Old 02-03-2009, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530
give me a 2003 m5 and ill be happy. even if i could afford the new 5 series i would never waste my money on that crap
Old 02-04-2009, 02:04 AM

Mein Auto: 05 330Ci ZHP 6MT
That is horrific...

Chrome on the rear and a chrome slit thing on the fender. If that is the direction that BMW is taking then I will cry if that design trickles down to the 3-series