Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 07-30-2008, 01:30 PM
carnuts3 carnuts3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: connecticut
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 343
Mein Auto: 2011 S4
Yep. Grill is too big... I don't get it - BMW just doesn't do well with their designs. Either they get it all wrong from the get go, or they do just a "passable" job with the initial introduction only to require mid-cycle refreshes to correct the design deficiencies. Why can't they get it right the first time? Poor execution, IMO.

I haven't seen a BMW series with the "wow" design factor in years. The drives always met my expectations, but the designs (especially the exteriors) always had some sort of a flaw or awkwardness to them. Very disappointed I must say.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
Elias's Avatar
Elias Elias is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern Va
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,537
Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
I can only hope BMW doesn't mess with the F10 the same way as the 7 series, theres alot at stake, and they can't afford to screw up. Its about evolution not revolution when it comes to BMW design they need to stick with this approach. If you build it right they will sell right, its not rocket science to understand that.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Lucardes Lucardes is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cali
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 284
Mein Auto: 645ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnuts3 View Post
Yep. Grill is too big... I don't get it - BMW just doesn't do well with their designs. Either they get it all wrong from the get go, or they do just a "passable" job with the initial introduction only to require mid-cycle refreshes to correct the design deficiencies. Why can't they get it right the first time? Poor execution, IMO.

I haven't seen a BMW series with the "wow" design factor in years. The drives always met my expectations, but the designs (especially the exteriors) always had some sort of a flaw or awkwardness to them. Very disappointed I must say.
Actually 6 series came out very very well. That bangle butt on the 6 actually got positive reviews and not negatives as the 7 did. The tail lights and the whole design of the exterior of the 6 is just stunning
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:58 PM
big-tex's Avatar
big-tex big-tex is offline
(Insert one liner here)
Location: In a lil room...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,961
Mein Auto: Tha 'Runner
It's a nice car, but not near the road presence of the e39.
__________________

Nunquam non paratus
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
TMQ TMQ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,467
Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucardes View Post
Actually 6 series came out very very well. That bangle butt on the 6 actually got positive reviews and not negatives as the 7 did. The tail lights and the whole design of the exterior of the 6 is just stunning
I strongly disagree. The 6 series design isn't very sharp; spotting a 6 series on the road is difficult. It's marginal, hardly stunning, IMO.

The current 7 series design is terrible. It makes the car look way too big. yes, the butt is huge. The side is like concrete slab. yes, the headlights are teary. Compared to that, the E38 is wonderful. The interior of current 7 is also bad, showing no clue of a sports sedan.

The new 7 definitely improves upon the current one. BMW is about sport - agility and speed. The new design, especially from the side, definitely gives that sense. The tail lights may try to reinforce that notion but the shape is odd. The front lights are so so and the grille borrowed from the CS concept doesn't quite match the flow of the car.

I'm not a fan of Bangle. Except the 5, 3 series coupe, and maybe the X5/X6, most of the designs are terrible - Z4, X3, 7. These designs call too much attention to themselves and as a whole do not shape up the vehicle well.
__________________
2008 528i: Ti Silver/Black/Light Poplar Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint. VentureShield Clear Bra.
BMWCCA member
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 PM
big-tex's Avatar
big-tex big-tex is offline
(Insert one liner here)
Location: In a lil room...
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,961
Mein Auto: Tha 'Runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
I strongly disagree. The 6 series design isn't very sharp; spotting a 6 series on the road is difficult. It's marginal, hardly stunning, IMO.

The current 7 series design is terrible. It makes the car look way too big. yes, the butt is huge. The side is like concrete slab. yes, the headlights are teary. Compared to that, the E38 is wonderful. The interior of current 7 is also bad, showing no clue of a sports sedan.

The new 7 definitely improves upon the current one. BMW is about sport - agility and speed. The new design, especially from the side, definitely gives that sense. The tail lights may try to reinforce that notion but the shape is odd. The front lights are so so and the grille borrowed from the CS concept doesn't quite match the flow of the car.

I'm not a fan of Bangle. Except the 5, 3 series coupe, and maybe the X5/X6, most of the designs are terrible - Z4, X3, 7. These designs call too much attention to themselves and as a whole do not shape up the vehicle well.
+1, Very well stated. The z4 reminds me of a sucker fish... lol
__________________

Nunquam non paratus
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-31-2008, 09:19 AM
carnuts3 carnuts3 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: connecticut
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 343
Mein Auto: 2011 S4
I agree with most of what was said here. It's funny that for the most part we are all bitching about how bad the BMW designs are - yet we still go out and buy them! (I know it's for the performance and handling). But imagine how sales will pick up if they can just get their designs right.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
De_UnKnOwN_1 De_UnKnOwN_1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 552
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325i
driver-centric cockpit is the best..i lloooove my E46 interior...however what is with these wierd looking shifters...
__________________



2009 BMW 328i Coupe, Space Gray, Black Leather, Gray Poplar Wood Trim, Sport Package, Premium Package, 6 Speed Steptronic, Xenons, Ipod USB, Sirius

2005 BMW 325i, Electric Red, Sand Leather, M Lip Spoiler, M-Tech Aero Kit, Aux Audio In, Myrtle Wood Trim, Premium Package, 5 Speed Steptronic, Xenon Lights, Harmon Kardon Sound System, PDC, OEM Alarm
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM
deerpark deerpark is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: East Coast
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 303
Mein Auto: My bike
E38 750iL Sport FTW
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Armensti Armensti is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 127
Mein Auto: BMW 530
give me a 2003 m5 and ill be happy. even if i could afford the new 5 series i would never waste my money on that crap
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-04-2009, 02:04 AM
SpeedDemon SpeedDemon is offline
Registered User
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 58
Mein Auto: 05 330Ci ZHP 6MT
That is horrific...

Chrome on the rear and a chrome slit thing on the fender. If that is the direction that BMW is taking then I will cry if that design trickles down to the 3-series
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms