Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-02-2009, 11:41 AM
faster driving enthusiast

Mein Auto: :(
330i vs. 330ci vs. 530i vs. A4 vs. G35?

last month my 97' 528i was in an accident and was DOA, it was by far my most favorite car that i have ever owned, So now i am car-less and i am in search of a replacement.

I am looking at a few:

330i e46 rwd: i eventually want to upgrade it to look and drive like that TMS zhp from 06'

330ci e46: i would want to mod this one similarly to the first mentioned

530i e39: this one would feel right like home from my 528 (dont know what mods to do)

Audi A4 b6: audi's are my second love, i would want the 1.8t to mod, and a body kit

G35x : reliable, i wouldnt have to mod the engine much, a ton of power already, other mods?

I dont know what to choose, i want to mod anything that i get, and that capability will factor in the decision as much as the look and fee of the car, if i get a bimmer i want rear wheel drive, if the other two i want all wheel drive.

So what should i do? anyone's 2 cents would be helpfull, and i know that this is a bimmer forum and the majority will say get a bmw. But if you were me, and keeping into account, performance, reliability, modification, looks, price what would you do?
Ads by Google
Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by bds6867 View Post
last month my 97' 528i was in an accident and was DOA, it was by far my most favorite car that i have ever owned, So now i am car-less and i am in search of a replacement.

I am looking at a few:

330i e46 rwd: i eventually want to upgrade it to look and drive like that TMS zhp from 06'

330ci e46: i would want to mod this one similarly to the first mentioned

530i e39: this one would feel right like home from my 528 (dont know what mods to do)

Audi A4 b6: audi's are my second love, i would want the 1.8t to mod, and a body kit

G35x : reliable, i wouldnt have to mod the engine much, a ton of power already, other mods?

I dont know what to choose, i want to mod anything that i get, and that capability will factor in the decision as much as the look and fee of the car, if i get a bimmer i want rear wheel drive, if the other two i want all wheel drive.

So what should i do? anyone's 2 cents would be helpfull, and i know that this is a bimmer forum and the majority will say get a bmw. But if you were me, and keeping into account, performance, reliability, modification, looks, price what would you do?
Sorry to hear about your E39....I also loved mine, felt like it was the most perfect car I had ever owned. Why not just get another one? The E46 is a great platform, but still a step below the E39 IMHO. Performance mods (other than FI) are pretty much a waste of time on non-turbo BMWs, cosmetic mods are another story....nice wheels, a little suspension work, and maybe a few tasteful body pieces can make your ride look quite stunning....
Good luck !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-02-2009, 09:05 PM
faster driving enthusiast

Mein Auto: :(
need some more input bump
Old 02-03-2009, 06:38 PM
stackssssssstttsssssss

Send a message via AIM to stack
Mein Auto: RIP AUDI a4
i would get the 330ci...its more sporty then the rest...g35 are becoming to popular....its between the audi b6 and 330ci
Old 02-05-2009, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i, 2001 325iT
530i

I have a 2003 530i and a 2001 E46, both were purchased new and have sport/premium packages. For reference, I also own a Boxster S.
As good as the E46 is, the 530 has been the most outstanding all-around vehicle I could imagine. Comfort, performance and so far (80k miles) bullet-proof reliability. Lower maintenance than the E46 as well, esp. with regards to brakes and suspension components.
For the prices you can get them now I don't see how you can do better than a 530i. The G35 may be a good alternative. The E46 will be best if performance is your main consideration. IMHO, the older Audi doesn't quite compete in the group.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
...cosmetic mods are another story....nice wheels, a little suspension work, and maybe a few tasteful body pieces can make your ride look quite stunning....!
Here are a couple of pics of my '02 330CiC with 18" style 135 staggered wheels. Cosmetic mods do make a difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330CiC.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	174074   Click image for larger version

Name:	330CiC (2).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	174075  

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"
Old 02-05-2009, 03:26 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdd View Post
Here are a couple of pics of my '02 330CiC with 18" style 135 staggered wheels. Cosmetic mods do make a difference.
Now, *that`s * what I`m talkin` about....

(as Borat would say, "where ees poosy magnet ?")

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 02-05-2009, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
i am looking for a car that will attract a woman with shave down below.........
Old 02-05-2009, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: **** you
ummmmm

this might work
Old 02-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdg View Post
As good as the E46 is, the 530 has been the most outstanding all-around vehicle I could imagine.
I love my 330ci, but I agree, my former 530i was the best all-around vehicle I've ever owned. Mine was an '02, 5-speed manual, sport, premium, cold, and nav. I did some sound system work, SSK and 18" wheel/tire combo, that's it. I even tracked it for a weekend.

The sport seats alone are worth it... outstanding! Fun to drive, classy, excellent road trip car. I do miss it sometimes.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 02-05-2009, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: Take a Guess..
Definitely the 530i. By far (IMO) the best car of all the options you listed.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Now, *that`s * what I`m talkin` about....

(as Borat would say, "where ees poosy magnet ?")
Thanks, Fast Bob...much appreciated.

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"