Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 05-23-2003, 08:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport
Celis LED Lights - install ????

I've read a number of posts and gone through the DIY article on BMWtips.com. Just wondering how hard it is to do. I'm thinking it may be a bit over my head with the LED packs and drilling, etc. that have to happen....

Just want to see if its worth it or if I should just go with the regular clear lights. Those ulgy amber things are killing me!

Thanks,
Miles
Advertisement
Old 05-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Trying to top 1K posts...

Mein Auto: 89 E30 325i, 97 E39 540iA
I believe you are referring to the rear CELIS LED lights, correct?

If so, it's not too difficult and if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you can see if you have a buddy that is used to metal or wood work and has the tools. Many folk have done the upgrade themselves with no issues. You can read more about it on my E39 DIY website

PS - Ditch those ambers and get the clear-corner CELIS - they look much better!

E39 DIY Site: BMWdiy.INFO
E30 DIY Site: E30.BMWdiy.INFO
BMWTips: BMWTips.com

Old 05-23-2003, 12:32 PM

Doesn't look too bad. What about the water leaking in and the door puller??? I've never used that or a torque wrench before.....

Great instructions though....
Old 05-23-2003, 01:08 PM

You can read about the door panel puller here. Usually a screwdriver works fine as well.

Water leaking isn't an issue in the installs I or my friends have done, but a few people on other boards have complained about it. Their issues were with the gaskets not being seated or installed properly. As long as you drill and notch the tail-light buckets properly and don't bend the metal in the process, there's no reason why they shouldn't fit on there perfectly.

As far as, they are just saying to not overtighten that particular nut. 2.5Nm is very little force, so you'll just want to get it barely snug. The other 3 nuts can be tightened to approximately the same force as the nuts you removed to get the old assembly out.

Old 05-28-2003, 09:59 AM

Before 9/2000 Celis Lights???

I found a set for sale at Nikis Place that are sold as "before 9/2000". My car was made 6/2000. Is there any difference in the lights? Will I still have to drill, etc.?

I've sent them an email and am waiting to hear back...
Old 05-28-2003, 10:08 AM

I recently heard of an upgrade kit from Bekkers that doesn't require the drilling, but since I haven't seen it in person or heard back from anyone who has received it, I'm fairly uncertain. Also, I don't know which Nikis sells, but most of the kits coming from Europe require the drilling and voltage reg hardware, etc. They should be able to tell you pretty easily.

Please post back, especially pics, if there is such an upgrade kit w/ no drilling.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Re: Before 9/2000 Celis Lights???

Quote:
Originally posted by sixman
I found a set for sale at Nikis Place that are sold as "before 9/2000". My car was made 6/2000. Is there any difference in the lights? Will I still have to drill, etc.?

I've sent them an email and am waiting to hear back...
9/2000 is beginning production of the 2001 model years. These would be the ones you need for your 06/00 E39 if they come with the ballasts that fit in the wheel well. (mine is 05/00 and the retrofit worked fine)- Happy birfday!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:20 AM

Celis kits

Hey vietsb,

I checked with Nikis and Bekkers and both kits require drilling. The only dif is the LED packs but I think you guys already knew that.

Miles
Old 05-30-2003, 12:45 PM

Re: Celis kits

Quote:
Originally posted by sixman
I checked with Nikis and Bekkers and both kits require drilling. The only dif is the LED packs but I think you guys already knew that.
Thx Miles-

That's what I thought, but someone on RF posted that Bekkers definitely sold them a rear CELIS kit for they '98 that didn't require drilling. They had yet to receive it and there were lots of us non-believers, but we can't always assume...

Old 06-07-2003, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 08 535 / 00 M5 / 91 M5
i have seen a "no drilling" kit, but it's for post 9/00 cars. I.e. cars that already have the cellis, but perhaps you want smoked or clear lamps. These do not fit pre 9.00 cars, nor do factory celis lamps... ( i tried a swap )
Mike
'91 M5 Alpine White II / Silver Gray
'03 Range Rover County, LWB
'12 MB GL350 diesel