Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 PM
King of Drone

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
At my last job, one of the main reason's they kept me around was my ability to make good looking flyers, invitations, banner ads, business cards, letterheads, etc etc. After my lay-off I realized I could start doing the same thing freelance and have my first project.

The benefit is that I never need to actually meet my clients, we can exchange ideas and color schemes through emails, and I can even have prints made by an online company I trust and have them shipped directly to the client.

(I know this is a personal plug, but I think the nature of this thread makes it okay.)

PM me if you want to see examples of my work, I can't think of someone I'd rather work for than a 'fester.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A car
update:

admin position filled - 75+ applicants in less than 3 days (when we pulled the online ad)
web dev role - possibly filled - going to take an admin applicant and train... I think.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 02-03-2009, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc545i View Post
I'm looking for a sales rep with B2B sales experience in Pittsburgh for a medical sales position. Also looking for an experienced medical rep in Tampa.
Too bad I have no experience, I could use a decent job.

If you ever get wind of anything good (but entry) level in sales (particularly medical -or fitness- related) in the St. Pete/Tampa Bay area LMK

Think my personality would lend itself well to sales. ...but if I got a job, I couldn't spend as much time on the 'Fest.

It would be really nice not to beg hubby for things, I like the idea of being able to support myself.

Last edited by SailinSand; 02-03-2009 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:54 AM
I brew life

Mein Auto: 2005 ZHP, Wife's Prius
Looks like my company is looking to almost double it's manufacturing workforce.

Check out the listings.
http://www.imclone.com/careers.php

Drop me a PM, and I'll try and answer some of your questions. Many of the manufacturing jobs require no prior pharma/chemical experience. Biology, bio-med, engineering degrees are all plusses.

Has already been awarded the title "Destroyer of Sleep"
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 imola red 740i Sport
We currently have 14 openings in five states: https://careers.aepcareers.com/index...tionName=aepCA
Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
We're looking for a few physician assistants to do Emergency Medicine in Dayton, Ohio

www.mvesonline.com
Old 02-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Hunting Photos

Mein Auto: 2009 335i E90
http://www.layoffdaily.com/

don't mind the left column, check the one on the right
Old 02-03-2009, 11:34 AM
I need a drink

Send a message via AIM to Araq44
Mein Auto: mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11 View Post
Salesforce.com

had a banner year in 08...24% growth...web based CRM company that is kicking a$$
I am using it right now for my business.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
We're NOT hiring in Atlanta right now but a friend of mine apparently is (I am only guessing but I think this would be in Alpharetta):

Quote:
I am looking to hire a mid to senior developer that has strong C# and SQL skills for one of our teams reporting to me. If you know of anyone, please tell them to email me with their resume.
So, PM me if you want me to link you up with this guy.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 PM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: CLK 550
I need a Director of Environmental, Health and Safety for a large entertainment company based out of Los Angleles. Degree mandatory with a lot of experience preferred.

PM me for more info, goes on LinkedIn tomorrow.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:00 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Good stuff on this thread, I'd hate for someone to miss it. Stickied for now.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Here are some gov and NASA jobs that are open to the public. Unless you know some gov guy who is hiring, you have to go through a lot of red tape to figure out how to apply, but in the end it's worth it.

http://jobsearch.usajobs.gov/agency_search.asp

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i
I was looking for Chef's position for my friend and found this website that seems to be for the Restaurant Industry...I know it's just a specific area of employment, but somethings better then nothing...

www.yumyumjobs.com

Cooks and Waitresses need love too...
Old 02-06-2009, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: **** you
om gI so want to go to culinary school but I wont because I think I will get fat =/
Old 02-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
We have a 2-3 month contract with option for extension for an Agile methodology trainer/consultant. Should be in the NYC area, on-site for the duration of the engagement 3-4 days a week on average but up to 5 days a week at times. Not looking for a single methodology evangelist (e.g. can't have drank the Scrum Kool Aid and think it's the only solution)... looking for a multi-disciplinary expert in Scrum, XP and/or Crystal.

Engagement is in SoHo in NYC.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 Brit View Post
om gI so want to go to culinary school but I wont because I think I will get fat =/
Never trust a skiny cook.
And you could use some fat.
- Frank Rizzo
Old 02-07-2009, 05:05 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Here are some gov and NASA jobs that are open to the public. Unless you know some gov guy who is hiring, you have to go through a lot of red tape to figure out how to apply, but in the end it's worth it.

See what I mean about red tape? I just got an email...

On February 24, 2009, the Federal Bureau of Investigation's online job application system, FBI Hiring Management, will be integrated with the Office of Personnel Management's USAJOBS website.

In preparation for the integration, all currently listed FBI vacancies will close by February 13, 2009. The integration with USAJOBS will make it easier and more efficient for you to apply for Federal positions and manage your online applications.

USAJOBS allows applicants to:
* Create and store up to five resumes online
* Create search agents to receive email notifications for new job postings throughout the government
* Use one login to apply for jobs throughout FBI, and other Federal organizations
* Track the status of jobs you have applied for through USAJOBS in one central location

To prepare for this change and familiarize yourself with the new process, we recommend you create an account on USAJOBS (www.usajobs.opm.gov). If you have not applied for a Federal vacancy posting using USAJOBS, you will need to create a new account, consisting of personal information, user id and password, and at least one Federal resume. If you are already registered in the USAJOBS system you do not need to re-register.

Once established, your USAJOBS account will enable you to post multiple resumes online, apply to other Federal jobs, and receive automated job alerts.

NOTE: After February 23, 2009, the information you have in the FBI Hiring Management, including your resume, will no longer be available. In addition, new job listings will no longer be posted to this system.

Tips for the USAJOBS registration process (www.usajobs.opm.gov):

1. Establish account information
On the USAJOBS website, select the MY USAJOBS option and click "Create Your Account Now!" You will first be prompted to provide contact information, establish user access information and provide citizenship and veterans' preference information.
After entering this information, your new personal page will be created. Here, you can choose to create a new resume or set up email notification agents to alert you to new jobs posted to USAJOBS.

2. Create and Store a Resume
To add a resume on USAJOBS, use the resume builder provided. There are four steps: Getting Started; Experience; Related Information and Finishing Up.

Resumes created on USAJOBS will be centrally stored and can be used to apply for other vacancies within the Federal government. You can store up to 5 resumes on USAJOBS!

Note: To copy a resume currently stored in the FBI Hiring Management system, you must first retrieve the document before February 23, 2009. You can use that data to populate your USAJOBS resume.

3. Create a Job Search Agent (Email notification) USAJOBS allows the creation of up to 10 different search agents to receive email notification of new jobs postings that may be of interest to you. These notifications can be set up to send you job postings available throughout the entire Federal government if you wish. USAJOBS email notification agent(s) will replace any notification preferences you may have set up in FBI Hiring Management.

4. Apply for jobs
After establishing your USAJOBS account and creating at least one resume, you are ready to apply for new positions. When you find a job of interest, simply login to USAJOBS and follow the instructions provided in the vacancy announcement to complete the application process!

Additional information on the application process can be found at: http://www.usajobs.opm.gov/firsttimers.asp

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: '04 VW R32 + '86 325es
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post

Seriously gov't job postings give me a freakin' headache! The job descriptions are never clear, they often don't clearly specify how much experience they're looking for, and there's a mile long list of things you need to submit. That alone is enough to drive many (talented) people away from gov't jobs!!! I dunno what the government is going to do when the attention-deficit Gen-Y start entering the working world in full force.

How do you see the current budget pressures affecting NASA? I read a Rice University study recommending to the Obama Administration that NASA focus on developing bio-fuels for commercial aerospace, and keep the current shuttles running until 2015 or something. I'm curious how seriously those recommendations are being taken, since they really shift the focus of NASA.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
The Census bureau is hiring. I turned down two jobs already. (I got a hundred on the exam.)

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:08 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johann View Post
Seriously gov't job postings give me a freakin' headache! The job descriptions are never clear, they often don't clearly specify how much experience they're looking for, and there's a mile long list of things you need to submit. That alone is enough to drive many (talented) people away from gov't jobs!!! I dunno what the government is going to do when the attention-deficit Gen-Y start entering the working world in full force.

How do you see the current budget pressures affecting NASA? I read a Rice University study recommending to the Obama Administration that NASA focus on developing bio-fuels for commercial aerospace, and keep the current shuttles running until 2015 or something. I'm curious how seriously those recommendations are being taken, since they really shift the focus of NASA.
I have always believed the 2004 Bush's Space Exploration Iniative was not the way we should explore space, ie, utilize the ISS for human reseach to go back to the moon and Mars, and de-emphysize scientific research on ISS. First, the mandate lacked the funds behind the ambitions. I also believe the Shuttle will continue to fly for a few more years and not depend and paying the Russians for flights to ISS even after we spent millions of dollars preparing for the shuttle to retire. I think the Obama administration will concentrate more on robotic space exploration rather than manned flights. I predict that we will not return back to the moon nor a flight to Mars in my lifetime.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:12 PM

I just updated my resume and sent it out to a recruiter friend of my husbands.

I've never had a real job interview before. ...and have no 'real' job experience.

I know I need to deal with people (I'm a people person). I think it'd be 'fun' to do something in sales, but I'm open. My BA is in Social Sciences. ....slowly working towards a MS in Exercise Physiology.

I need to find a full time job. I figured I need ~50K a year just to live (if I had to). I figured I could work full time and take one class at a time (at night). Am I being even almost realistic, any advice or ideas? (don't flame me...however, PM me if you have some ideas/comments)
Old 02-09-2009, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 11' 328 xDrive Touring
i dont know if there are a lot of jobs starting you at 50k/yr, unless it is sales and you are very good so you could easily surpass that in commission; but straight salary i think it is more likely to be around 28-35k.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomVT View Post
i dont know if there are a lot of jobs starting you at 50k/yr, unless it is sales and you are very good so you could easily surpass that in commission; but straight salary i think it is more likely to be around 28-35k.
Well, I figured out with my lifestyle... I need that to survive. If I found something at 35k, and could make decent commission- that would be okay. ....a little stressful. ...and with this crap market, I think I'd be lucky to find anything period.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
I just updated my resume and sent it out to a recruiter friend of my husbands.

I've never had a real job interview before. ...and have no 'real' job experience.

I know I need to deal with people (I'm a people person). I think it'd be 'fun' to do something in sales, but I'm open. My BA is in Social Sciences. ....slowly working towards a MS in Exercise Physiology.

I need to find a full time job. I figured I need ~50K a year just to live (if I had to). I figured I could work full time and take one class at a time (at night). Am I being even almost realistic, any advice or ideas? (don't flame me...however, PM me if you have some ideas/comments)
Don't mention the word "training" in economy like this... instead, say I learn from what I do (or similar BS). We just turned down a guy who has great people skills and IT experience (although not the kind we're looking for), but the "T" word killed it.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffoun View Post
Don't mention the word "training" in economy like this... instead, say I learn from what I do (or similar BS). We just turned down a guy who has great people skills and IT experience (although not the kind we're looking for), but the "T" word killed it.
okay, they don't want to "train" anyone because of the costs associated with it?

PM me if you hve any other tips/pointers. I don't look good on paper at all