Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Just bought 06 330xi - should I get the tire warranty & extended maintenance?

The car is a CPO 29k 330xi. 1 year left on the free maintenance.

Tire warranty costs $595 - they'll give me a new tire on "any non-repairable issue due to a puncture, bruise, impract break or other road hazard damage" for 5 years. Tires are run-flats, replacing one probably costs half that amount should I run over a screw...

Extended Maintenance for 2 more years or 100k miles - $1595 - any maintenance issue that comes up. "Coverage includes all major components of your BMW, such as the engine and fuel system, transmission, cooling system, final drive assembly, steering, suspension systems, brakes and ABS, heating and A/C system, electrical system, and interior and exterior items."

I can roll these into the nice little .9% financing notifying them by Monday. I didn't take it as it seemed like a bunch of pitchy sales crap at first done by the last sales attempt in the buying process - but if I'm going to expect to spend $1600 or average $800/year from between 50k miles and 90-100k miles, it makes sense.

I've never had a BMW before - what should I expect? And would you do one or both of these?
Ads by Google
Old 01-31-2009, 06:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooter187 View Post

Tire warranty costs $595 - they'll give me a new tire on "any non-repairable issue due to a puncture, bruise, impract break or other road hazard damage" for 5 years. Tires are run-flats, replacing one probably costs half that amount should I run over a screw...

Extended Maintenance for 2 more years or 100k miles - $1595 - any maintenance issue that comes up. "Coverage includes all major components of your BMW, such as the engine and fuel system, transmission, cooling system, final drive assembly, steering, suspension systems, brakes and ABS, heating and A/C system, electrical system, and interior and exterior items."

I can roll these into the nice little .9% financing notifying them by Monday. I didn't take it as it seemed like a bunch of pitchy sales crap at first done by the last sales attempt in the buying process - but if I'm going to expect to spend $1600 or average $800/year from between 50k miles and 90-100k miles, it makes sense.

I've never had a BMW before - what should I expect? And would you do one or both of these?
Sounds good to me but I would check what other plans are offering. What dealer are you using ? Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
hooter, welcome to bimmerfest. Start reading the ask-a-dealer section, it will save you thousands if you purchase more BMWs. As far as your questions, I would get the maintenance but not the tire warranty. It's probably about $200 to replace a tire but even if you have the sport package and it's $300 you would be very unlikely to ruin enough tires to make it pay. I haven't had a flat tire in 30 years ! This is a high profit item for the dealer. Maintenance might pay for itself though as they aren't shy about charging giant amounts. I think you'll love the car.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Old 01-31-2009, 09:02 AM

I'm working with BMW of Freehold... Yes, sport package, but 17" rims, not that familiar with BMW just yet, but they also have the 18" rims, regardless, so far concensus is maintenance isn't a bad idea, tire is not the way to go... Thanks for the welcome mclaren and there truly is nothing like waking up in the morning and forgetting you just bought a new car for about 15 seconds.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530IA
Quote:

Maintenance package is oil, filter, wiper blades, brake rotors, pads, that sort of stuff. The stuff you listed is part of the CPO warranty. If you are a DYI, then don't buy the maintenance package. If not, it "may" pay off if you need brakes on all 4 wheels. If you need wiper blades for example, you must schedule a service visit.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: Fünfer und Dreier
I would shop around for the tire / wheel insurance.

Flow BMW, a Bimmerfest sponsor, offers this for less than $400 and a lot of people have gotten it from them.

F10 2014 535d M Sport Mondstein Metallic
F10 2012 ActiveHybrid 5 Azuritschwarz Metallic
MB 2011 E350 BlueTec
E70 2011 X5 xDrive35d*
E90 2010 335d*
E60 2008 550i*

E90 2006 330xi*
E90 2006 325i
E90 2006 330xi*
E39 2003 530i*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is*
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired
Old 01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2003 530i and 2000 328i
Thanks for the plug! I usually tell my folks to look in the car's maintenance history. If the brakes haven't been done already, you can bet they will need to be done by the time the 6yrs/ 100k are up. If its going to need brakes, the Maint. upgrade becomes a lot more attractive. Its still a good deal if you're going to have 100k on it by the 6 year point, as you can get the brakes flushed, the 60k inspection, and a host of other things over that timeframe.

Ed
Old 01-31-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbmw View Post
Thanks for the plug! I usually tell my folks to look in the car's maintenance history. If the brakes haven't been done already, you can bet they will need to be done by the time the 6yrs/ 100k are up. If its going to need brakes, the Maint. upgrade becomes a lot more attractive. Its still a good deal if you're going to have 100k on it by the 6 year point, as you can get the brakes flushed, the 60k inspection, and a host of other things over that timeframe.

Ed
Flow - from what you said, and it looks like you are a dealer, would you spend the money? and is this $1600 number negotiable - they say it's set by BMW as they're buying it from them. Regardless, to have everything covered for 3 years from today at 28.5k miles, I may end up anywhere from 65k - 85k miles by the end. Is there a service in there that is worth at least $1200 that is included? Really looking for the experienced BMW owner/dealer to say that this is either smart or stupid.

Note: I am not a DYI person. Wish I was, love tinkering, really not going to happen with me.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
I'm working with BMW of Freehold... Yes, sport package, but 17" rims, not that familiar with BMW just yet, but they also have the 18" rims, regardless, so far concensus is maintenance isn't a bad idea, tire is not the way to go... Thanks for the welcome mclaren and there truly is nothing like waking up in the morning and forgetting you just bought a new car for about 15 seconds.
I use Paragon Auto Club for my tire and rim insurance. $27.50 for each car per year, $20.00 Flat fix,$350 tire and rim per incident max $1400.00 per year. My insurance paid for itself many times over. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i
My dealer came way down on the tire insurance, to $365 ish, for 5 years. If it replaces 1 tire it will pay for itself. I would assume they prorate the value of the tire based upon tread wear, so maybe I'll need it to replace 2 tires. My understanding, which may be wrong, is that run flat tires can't be repaired like a regular tire with a plug or patch. If that's true then the odds of me using it are pretty high.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
Just remember that the people who sell tire and wheel insurance are making money and the company underwriting the insurance are making money too. Why buy insurance for an unlikely event that isn't really expensive if it does happen ? It's nuts IMO. As far as the people who have posted the insurance has paid for itself, what about the thousands that forgot to post they didn't collect a dime ?

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )

Last edited by mclaren; 02-13-2009 at 03:03 PM.