Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: '89 BMW 325is
Lightbulb 1983 BMW 320 Coupe - 148000 Miles - Good Daily Driver?

Hello all!

I joined the forum a while back, when I was considering buying an E36 convertible. I decided that wasn't for me, but looks like I'm considering a different car now! It's in excellant condition with an almost perfect exterior, and pretty good interior, though a bit dirty. It was a trade in at the local BMW dealership... and I caught it before it was sent to the auction block. They are conducting an inspection for me which should be done Thursday morning, when I may be claiming the car as my own!

I do plan on using the car as my daily driver, in a new job were I will be doing a lot of local driving... up to 100 miles a day. I have a 2006 Mazda MX-5 as a backup car, if anything were to happen to the BMW. I'm mostly looking for a nice, fun beater. That I can also work on, and turn into a really beautiful car. The car is a 5 speed as well... I've heard the auto's are troublesome at times. Which is no problem, I don't like auto's anyway.

When I took the car out for a test drive, it seemed to run very well. It turned over first try, the transmission shifted very smoothly, the clutch caught very well, and the ride was pretty smooth. The car felt like it's been very well maintained. One of my friends said they drove an E30 318 from about 180,000 miles to 300,000 miles with relatively little troubles.

Still though... buying a car with 148000 miles is a little bit of a concern to me. Especially since their list price was $3900. That seems extremely high, even for a car in pretty good condition. They probably only paid about $800 for it on the trade in. If this car is likely to be a reliable source of transportation, what should I offer them for it? I haven't researched these cars much... is there anything else I should know about them?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Ads by Google
Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 80 320iS
I have about 240,00 on one and 220,000 on my other one, $1500 to $2200 is a good price - most important is to look for rust, Trunk and lower door edges.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to dictator Send a message via Yahoo to dictator
Mein Auto: 1982 BMW 320iS
My 82 320i has been a daily driver for most of the past 15 years. It has around 170k on it (the odometer quit working).

But as long as you are willing to be stranded occasionally it is well worth the purchase.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 & 1999 323i vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dictator View Post
But as long as you are willing to be stranded occasionally it is well worth the purchase.
WHat happens that you get stranded?