Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 02-24-2009, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: 1985 528e
85 528e speedometer not working - help!

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum.
I just picked up a great 1985 528e with complete service records from day1.
It has 272k miles but runs perfect. Everything works fine except the speedometer.
The "CHECK" light is blinking and the "Inspection" light comes on after the car runs for a bit.
I checked the speed sensor at the diff and it looks new with great connections. The previous, and original, owner said the garage fixed it the last Inspection and it worked for a while then quit again. The work wasn't itemized so I can't tell what they did.`
Can anyone please help out with this fix? I've been building Chevy's for years but this is a little new to me.
Thanks in advance
JZ
Ads by Google
Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 528e automatic
Welcome!
Read these discussions, they may be helpful:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=339766

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256408
Old 02-24-2009, 12:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
The "check" light will always blink when the car is started and it will do so until you step on the brakes. By doing this you will activate the circuit and it will check that the lamps are ok. If your lights stays bliknking, look up on the roof by the sunroof and see which one is the offending area (lights, oil, coolant, etc.) Since your "Inspection" light comes on while driving It should come on and stay on until it is reset, you might have a bad Service Interval (SI) board or batteries. If the batteries are the originals they will leak acid and corrode the board (I had this problem and had adead tachometer, fuel gauge and economy gauge). The batteries can be replaced with rechargeable ones from Radio Shack and many people install a remote battery box so they don't have to open the dashboard to replace them. If this doesn't work then your board might be bad and needs to be replaced.
If you intend on keeping this car and working on it I strongly suggest that you get a Bentley Repair Manual as it has all the revelant information to keep it running!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:10 PM

Thanks guys. Yes I will be buying a Bentley, The Haynes isn't very helpful.
My economy gage dosen't work either and the "brake light" warning light overhead is also lit up. I will check the brake lights.
Tomorrow I will pull the inst cluster and check the batteries and board. I read several posts on checking and reflowing the solder joints and such.
I will post my results.
Thanks again
JZ
Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
E34 Fan

Mein Auto: E39, E34, E28, E24
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperjesse View Post
Thanks guys. Yes I will be buying a Bentley, The Haynes isn't very helpful.
My economy gage dosen't work either and the "brake light" warning light overhead is also lit up. I will check the brake lights.
Tomorrow I will pull the inst cluster and check the batteries and board. I read several posts on checking and reflowing the solder joints and such.
I will post my results.
Thanks again
JZ
The circuit boards on the cluster have a tendency to have many issues including gear breakage, solder cracks, and leaking batteries. Check all of those first and if nothing is solved, get a used cluster. As for the brake lights, check the socket connections for the bulb and remove any corrosion.

E39 1998 BMW 528i Sport
E34 1989 BMW 535iM
E28 1988 BMW 528e
E24 1987 BMW L6
Old 02-26-2009, 04:29 AM

Thanks guys, I just saw I have no tail or brake lights. I will start by cleaning the contact points and checking the ground connections. Even though this car is practically rust free there could still be a corroded connection point somewhere.
Can you tell me where the rear grounds are located?
Thanks
JZ
Old 02-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
The grounds for the rear are under the lower part of the rear seat. There is one 10-mm bolt right in the middle above the drive shaft "hump". Remove it and pull up. Go here and download the ETM for your car. It shows location for all connectors and grounds plus wire sizes and colors.

Good Luck!
Old 02-26-2009, 03:14 PM

Thanks Jimmy. I found two corroded light connections and cleaned them and now the parking lights work, still no brake lights. I used an ohm meter to check the ground bars, the turn signals work and the ground bars are good but I get no reading on the brake light bars. I'll check the grounds under the seat tomorrow.
Thanks for the electric schematic, my wife is printing it out at work for me. Although this car is virtually rust free there is still rust at certain connections and bolt holes which is probablt the problem.
Thanks again
JZ
Old 02-26-2009, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 528e automatic
Brake light switch??

If you checked the #12 (8 amp) fuse (stop light) and the fuse is good and tight fitting, then attach a positive lead to the brake switch terminal (violet/white lead wire; used a 'inline' fuse for safety) and test to see if switch is working (pushing down on brake pedal).

Also, were you able to reset the 'Inspection/Service' lights?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:50 PM

I didn't try resetting the I S lights. I used an ohm meter to check brake pedal switch operation and voltage. It is operating and has 12 volts to it. I'm only getting 2 volts at the brake light connector though.
I removed the inst cluster today. The IS board has what looks like the original batteries with zero voltage reading. I also saw a dark area on the board on the under side opposite the batteries up in the corner. I will desolder them tomorrow and check it closer.
The previous owner did say at last inspection the mechanic fixed the speedo but it only worked for a short time. My guess is he reset the board but with no batteries it failed shortly after.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:50 PM

Got a refurbished SI board off Ebay for $90 and it solved all the issues. The old one had the original batteries and they leaked and damaged the board.