Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 03-11-2009, 09:41 AM
d geek d geek is online now
diesel evangelist
Location: San Antonio, TX, USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,058
Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
...all 2010 diesel vehicles will have to run urea...
there's nothing that forces the use of urea to meet the newest emissions requirements. VW is doing it on some of their smaller vehicles with a regeneration cycle. If BMW ever brings their smaller diesels over it will be interesting to see if they try to get around the urea injection method.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by d geek View Post
there's nothing that forces the use of urea to meet the newest emissions requirements. VW is doing it on some of their smaller vehicles with a regeneration cycle. If BMW ever brings their smaller diesels over it will be interesting to see if they try to get around the urea injection method.

That's what the local oil distributor told me...

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Joegoesfishing Joegoesfishing is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: 08 Cad CTS DI-67 Olds 455
Fire Gabe,

The dealer didn't find a leaking hose, although I don't know that they looked real hard. If I have another incident I'll get on them to doublecheck the delivery hose. It's been about 700 miles (2400 mi. tota) since the Low Level reading came on, so far so good.
__________________
2009 X5 35D Black Sapphire Tobacco Nevada
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Joegoesfishing Joegoesfishing is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: 08 Cad CTS DI-67 Olds 455
Bad News. 2500 miles & the low Diesel Reverve Warning came back on. It'll be back in the shop. I'll be passing on the info Fire Gabe provided. Not good at all.
__________________
2009 X5 35D Black Sapphire Tobacco Nevada
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing View Post
Bad News. 2500 miles & the low Diesel Reverve Warning came back on. It'll be back in the shop. I'll be passing on the info Fire Gabe provided. Not good at all.
Joe, sorry to hear that. Please let us know what they find...

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-12-2009, 06:39 PM
firegabe firegabe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: M5
Ok Please, can everyone please post thier production date? My door jam said Dec.1st

Also please wash the bottom of your X5! and where you park it. I have dogs and it left many D.E.F. puddles on my driveway. (by the way it is a corrosive amonia if you look it up in the adblue website.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-13-2009, 07:59 AM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firegabe View Post
Ok Please, can everyone please post thier production date? My door jam said Dec.1st

Also please wash the bottom of your X5! and where you park it. I have dogs and it left many D.E.F. puddles on my driveway. (by the way it is a corrosive amonia if you look it up in the adblue website.

Hi Gabe, my car doesn't show the day it was built, but does show it was built 12/08

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-13-2009, 01:53 PM
firegabe firegabe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: M5
Craig how many miles do you have on your X5 please.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firegabe View Post
Craig how many miles do you have on your X5 please.
Hi Gabe, 1500 so far.

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Sean81 Sean81 is offline
Registered User
Location: Germany
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8
Mein Auto: 09 XDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by firegabe View Post
Ok Please, can everyone please post thier production date? My door jam said Dec.1st

Also please wash the bottom of your X5! and where you park it. I have dogs and it left many D.E.F. puddles on my driveway. (by the way it is a corrosive amonia if you look it up in the adblue website.
Firegabe,
Please forgive my ignorance but what are D.E.F. puddles? I am guessing D.E.F. stands for Diesel Emissions Fluid?

We are taking delivery of our Diesel on Monday and this thread definitely has me concerned.

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited by Sean81; 03-13-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Joegoesfishing Joegoesfishing is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: 08 Cad CTS DI-67 Olds 455
Unfortunately those of us with a problem have been exposed to the trouble description which reads "Diesel Exhaust Fluid". I keep getting refreshed on this terminology every time I drive my X5.
__________________
2009 X5 35D Black Sapphire Tobacco Nevada
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-13-2009, 06:20 PM
firegabe firegabe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing View Post
Unfortunately those of us with a problem have been exposed to the trouble description which reads "Diesel Exhaust Fluid". I keep getting refreshed on this terminology every time I drive my X5.
hehe yes the computer takes it so seriously! It really wants you to understand that after 999 miles it won't start period but all you have to do is add some fluid and your good.

Sean81 I think that by now, with a current build date Say mid FEB. 2009 till now they have fixed the assembly issue. yes DEF is diesel exhaust fluid.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firegabe View Post
hehe yes the computer takes it so seriously! It really wants you to understand that after 999 miles it won't start period but all you have to do is add some fluid and your good.

Sean81 I think that by now, with a current build date Say mid FEB. 2009 till now they have fixed the assembly issue. yes DEF is diesel exhaust fluid.

Gabe, I hope mine isn't next to experience this problem. No problems yet
at 1500 miles...

When will your new car come in?


Craig
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-13-2009, 09:00 PM
firegabe firegabe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
Gabe, I hope mine isn't next to experience this problem. No problems yet
at 1500 miles...

When will your new car come in?


Craig
Uh well

I didn't want to wait untill MY2010 so uhhhh hehehe I bought something else

I got an M5 yeah 507HP V10. 7spd. SMG trans. and 8mpg. yes EIGHT miles to the gallon

But I will purchase a 2010 X5 diesel

However I am VERY grateful that BMW stepped up to the plate and bought back my car. Especially since my dealer still dose not have the replacement hose yet! I would still be in that little 328 loaner.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-14-2009, 04:21 AM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firegabe View Post
Uh well

I didn't want to wait untill MY2010 so uhhhh hehehe I bought something else

I got an M5 yeah 507HP V10. 7spd. SMG trans. and 8mpg. yes EIGHT miles to the gallon

But I will purchase a 2010 X5 diesel

However I am VERY grateful that BMW stepped up to the plate and bought back my car. Especially since my dealer still dose not have the replacement hose yet! I would still be in that little 328 loaner.
Nice! Well, when you get your new diesel, come back and let us know how you like it.
I used to own an M5, it was a 2000...

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-16-2009, 08:07 AM
firegabe firegabe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing View Post
Bad News. 2500 miles & the low Diesel Reverve Warning came back on. It'll be back in the shop. I'll be passing on the info Fire Gabe provided. Not good at all.
Joe !?!?!?!?!? whats the progress? did they take a hose off of a new vehicle? do you have your X5 back?

Craig I really wish you the best man, I bet your dreading those 1700 miles!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firegabe View Post
Joe !?!?!?!?!? whats the progress? did they take a hose off of a new vehicle? do you have your X5 back?

Craig I really wish you the best man, I bet your dreading those 1700 miles!
Yeah, I hope I'm not next to post with problems. If I do have a problem, I will let everyone know...

Craig
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-16-2009, 04:57 PM
Joegoesfishing Joegoesfishing is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: 08 Cad CTS DI-67 Olds 455
Hi Craig & Gabe,

I'm scheduled to bring the truck in on Thursday, so nothing to report until then. The countdown to selfdestruction is at 850mi so I'll make it til Thursday in good fashion. I did tell the dealer that a suitable loaner would be an X5 35D Black Sapphire Tobacco Nevada or as my second choice an X6 X Drive 50i. I'm riding them pretty hard on this. I shared your info as they readily admit this a completely new system to them. What was the VIN on your X5 that got taken back? I'd like to have that in my back pocket in case they start giving me non sensical information. Thus far they claim there are no known problems with the system, to which I reply - Of course not, it just hit the market so any bugs are now just coming to the surface. If they do try to pull a hose out of one of the cars on the lot, what guarantee is that that its not kinked?

Craig - say your prayers. Good Luck.
__________________
2009 X5 35D Black Sapphire Tobacco Nevada
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joegoesfishing View Post
Hi Craig & Gabe,

I'm scheduled to bring the truck in on Thursday, so nothing to report until then. The countdown to selfdestruction is at 850mi so I'll make it til Thursday in good fashion. I did tell the dealer that a suitable loaner would be an X5 35D Black Sapphire Tobacco Nevada or as my second choice an X6 X Drive 50i. I'm riding them pretty hard on this. I shared your info as they readily admit this a completely new system to them. What was the VIN on your X5 that got taken back? I'd like to have that in my back pocket in case they start giving me non sensical information. Thus far they claim there are no known problems with the system, to which I reply - Of course not, it just hit the market so any bugs are now just coming to the surface. If they do try to pull a hose out of one of the cars on the lot, what guarantee is that that its not kinked?

Craig - say your prayers. Good Luck.
Thanks, I think BMW lets customers do their reliability and durability testing. Let us know what they come up with.

Craig

Last edited by Craig B; 03-17-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-16-2009, 08:35 PM
firegabe firegabe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: M5
Yes it's a joy of a new car, I have had great luck with BMW untill I got that X5 I really really liked it so when MY2010 comes out I will get another.

Joe there isn't a gaurantee it's not kinked! However!! If it isn't damaged then it will be installed into UN Kinked PLEASE IT IS A VERY HIGH PRESSURE LINE! DONOT LET THEM CUT THE KINK AND REPLACE IT WITH A RUBBER HOSE !!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-17-2009, 08:30 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,532
Mein Auto: '06 X3
These things are made in Spartanburg how much trouble is it to FedEx a new hose/tube/line overnight to the dealer? Seems like a no brainer to me instead of making a hangar queen out of another unit on the lot.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-17-2009, 08:53 PM
firegabe firegabe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
These things are made in Spartanburg how much trouble is it to FedEx a new hose/tube/line overnight to the dealer? Seems like a no brainer to me instead of making a hangar queen out of another unit on the lot.
If it were that easy I would still have an X5d
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
firegabe firegabe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 113
Mein Auto: M5
Joe I don't have my VIN# I really didn't own it that long

Craig, I really wish you the best! I really don't know who is dreading the 1700 miles more you, or me. hehehe
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 AM
WDC330i WDC330i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DC
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 342
Mein Auto: '12 328iT Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by firegabe View Post
Joe I don't have my VIN# I really didn't own it that long

Craig, I really wish you the best! I really don't know who is dreading the 1700 miles more you, or me. hehehe
Your VIN should be on your registration card.
__________________
In the garage:
'09 X5 Sport (Mineral Green) / '12 328iT Sport (Deep Sea Blue)
Previous:
'06 M3C (Jet Black)
'06 530xiT (Titanium Gray)
'03 325xiT (Topaz)
'02 330i sport (Jet Black)
'01 330i (Jet Black)
'01 Z3 (Topaz)
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-19-2009, 08:40 AM
Craig B Craig B is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 613
Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d 2007 Lexus LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by firegabe View Post
Joe I don't have my VIN# I really didn't own it that long

Craig, I really wish you the best! I really don't know who is dreading the 1700 miles more you, or me. hehehe

Hi Gabe! No problems to report yet. I just looked and I have 1550 miles. I've been driving my Lexus more now that the weather is nicer here.

Craig
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms