BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread....

241K views 399 replies 209 participants last post by  Six-Demon-Bag 
#1 ·
The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread....

what up fellas i just finished payin off this car ive had for a about 2 yrs. i see like 05 06 6ers for around 40 45. besides the sick look of the ride any body wanna add something to further convince. the price and looks got me already. Thanks.

#8 ·
Sorry to take this thread in a different direction, but I couldn't resist adding my 2-cents to the "rag-top" sidebar. I am part of a generation where a convertible is a car with a retractable cloth top. No offense to technology, but a car with a retractable hard top is a coupe-roadster, not a convertible. That said, in response to "DENNESSY's" question about the 6-Series, let me put it this way, I'm on my third one so far, my first M Car, and I could not come up with a response when my wife recently asked me what my next car would be.

#12 ·
i don't see why/ nor how people on here are so authoritatively claiming the vert to be better looking then the coupe. To each his own; no opinion is authoritative. Don't push yours off as it is.

My opinion is as follows;

the coupe is killer. And bmw should not, i repeat should NOT go with a hard top roadster as leslie said. For those who want a coupe, they want a coupe, they do not want the top to go down.

For those whom prefer a convertible, get the convertible.

I for one, am a coupe guy.

Although a poor, coupe guy. :thumbup:

#13 ·
Can I ask a quick question?

I dont know much about BMWs, but this one caught my eye at the dealer and before I pull the trigger just was wondering....

What exactly is the differences between the 6 and 5 series ( besides the obviously exterior body)

Are these cars made from the same chassis, same suspension parts, and steering?

Is 6 essentially a 5 series coupe?

Thanks.

#15 ·
Just adding my 2 cents. I for one love the vert. The coupes are definitely nice as well and like asadkhan1988 said, " to each his own". Mine is a convertible black on black and to me the profile of the vert is better when it comes to the roof line. When you open it, it's a work of art man. Get what you like and can afford my friend. you will enjoy either one.
Happy hunting.:thumbup:

#16 ·
The 5 is a 4 door and 6 a 2 door, 6 has more power looks better higher class vehicle also too, more expensive, the 5 is more compared to a 7 before a 6, it looks like a baby 7.

2009 535i Sedan $47010- $51100 , 3.0L I6 300 HP

2009 650i Coupe $78,200 - $85,300 V8 360 HP (Convertibles more expensive)

Get a 6! :)

#17 · (Edited)
I don't know much about the 5 series platform but the 6 is more the 2 door version of the 7 series than the 5 series. The quality of the interior and options are comperable.

Also when comparing the engine options you can't say the 6 is more powerfull than the 5 when the 550i has the same engine as the 650i. :thumbup: Also at the same time since the 535i is twin turbo you can get an aftermarket ECU tune or piggyback and bring the HP to around 400hp with little $. You can't do that on the naturally aspirated v8

#19 ·
650i vs 5 series

I don't know about the individual components (I have an 08 650 vert and had a 530i), but the look, feel, luxury,handling and ride, in my view, is far superior in the 650. In fact, I have had many luxury cars, Mercedes, Lexus and BMW, but I have not had any car I've enjoyed more.

#20 ·
I know this might come off wrong, but I see the 5 as just an upgraded 3. The 6 to me is in a field of its own since the styling and design work is not QUITE similar to any other BMW.

I do think though that the 6, to me, is a hybrid of a 7 and a M Coupe/Z, using the M Coupe/Z lines with 7 size.. But that's just my 2 cents

For the record I own a 3 as well, so i'm not bashing on them ^_^!

but 6's are still dead sexy!

#21 ·
I know this might come off wrong, but I see the 5 as just an upgraded 3. The 6 to me is in a field of its own since the styling and design work is not QUITE similar to any other BMW.

I do think though that the 6, to me, is a hybrid of a 7 and a M Coupe/Z, using the M Coupe/Z lines with 7 size.. But that's just my 2 cents

For the record I own a 3 as well, so i'm not bashing on them ^_^!

but 6's are still dead sexy!
Yeah I agree. Like I said in my first post the interior fit and finish is comperable to the 7 series where the 5 series is more like a 3 series. The 7 gets the technology first and filters down to the 6. Then they decide what gets beyond that and what they want to keep exclusive to the flagship models.

#25 ·
Hey
I am in Seoul South Korea thinking of a 6.
I can import, or buy from within the country.
Here is a massive city where you cannot go that fast unless its the middle of the night, which model do you recommend of the convertibles, and which year?
This is my first BMW, so I am not too sure on what to get.
Thanks!

#26 ·
Potential future buyer, have some questions.

Hello,

I am somewhat new to BMW community since I haven't owned one in the past. But I have friends who owned few M5s (2001 and 2007/2008), and one with 335i. They all loved the cars. But the 2001 M5 was at the dealer many times for various electrical problems, and the 335 will be going back to the dealer for a second set of door handles. Luckily all these cars were under warranty.

I am starting to look into car possibilities once I'm done with school. 650i is leading the pack. But I have noticed a trend on Autotrader...most of these cars are sold with 500-1000 miles remaining on the warranty. Is this something to be concerned about or not? How reliable are these cars once they are up to 40K miles or more? Would it make more sense to look for one with extended warranty?

I currently have a 2006 GTI and that thing will definitely be sold before my warranty is up. Not because it has many problems right now, but there are few parts on it that are equivalent to a ticking bomb without a timer on it...if it goes, then not only do I loose $5k in value once its out of warranty, but another 3-5K in repairs. I don't want the same thing to happen to a BMW because those repairs would probably be twice as much.

Thank you for your help.

#343 ·
Hello,

I am somewhat new to BMW community since I haven't owned one in the past. But I have friends who owned few M5s (2001 and 2007/2008), and one with 335i. They all loved the cars. But the 2001 M5 was at the dealer many times for various electrical problems, and the 335 will be going back to the dealer for a second set of door handles. Luckily all these cars were under warranty.

I am starting to look into car possibilities once I'm done with school. 650i is leading the pack. But I have noticed a trend on Autotrader...most of these cars are sold with 500-1000 miles remaining on the warranty. Is this something to be concerned about or not? How reliable are these cars once they are up to 40K miles or more? Would it make more sense to look for one with extended warranty?

I currently have a 2006 GTI and that thing will definitely be sold before my warranty is up. Not because it has many problems right now, but there are few parts on it that are equivalent to a ticking bomb without a timer on it...if it goes, then not only do I loose $5k in value once its out of warranty, but another 3-5K in repairs. I don't want the same thing to happen to a BMW because those repairs would probably be twice as much.

Thank you for your help.
Mine has 109k and haven't had a problem YET... all in all it's been pretty reliable car. I have a 05 645ci and love it to death!
Hope this helps.

Cheers

#28 ·
I'm tired of making the same statement over and over again: Yes, the 5er & 6er share the same parts but that doesn't make the 6 a 5er coupe. Doesn't matter if they have similar parts or not, they are still 2 different cars. That's why BMW markets the 2 as different cars. The 6 & 5 are like Irish twins, sometimes they're the same but in the end they aren't twins at all.

#34 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have gone thru a ton of posts and learned as much as I could on the 6er. I'm in the market for an 05 or 06 coupe or vert, depending on the price I can get. I test drove an 06 w/ 28k miles on it w/ a price of $39k, but this was a month ago and I had really just started doing my research. I have now found an 06 vert w/ 50k miles for $42k. It is a CPO, 1 owner lease and has a ton of options. Perf/Sport pkd, heads up, night vision, comfort, sound, cold weather. My question is, it that a good price? and do I really need all these options? How often do people really use the night vision? Also how important is the CPO, I can prob find some less expensive coupes w/ out the CPO. I haven't called my insurance yet, but does anyone know if verts are more expensive than a coupe? Anything else I should ask the dealer? Thanks for any help! This forum has been a great help in my research!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.