Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-16-2009, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: M3
E46 remote key receiver... is it really inside the mirror?

Hello all,

I need some serious help with my issue.

First of all, car is a 2003 M3 E46.

Problem: Remote is not working.

Ok I think I should explain the hole story (hope not to make it tedious to read).

I got the car in June 2007 with only one key, everything worked great, It came with the oval rearview mirror and not the trapezoid shaped mirror with the homelink buttons. During summer 2008 the liquid inside the mirror spilled out. I got a Z4 mirror from ebay and installed my self. It might sound stupid but at this point I'm not sure if it was then that the remote stopped working, or later on.

Two weeks ago I also noticed I could not open the trunk from the button under the left side of the dash or the button on the top of the license plate. I decided to try to fix it by getting a brand new key so I did. That didn't work, even dealer tried to program the key with no luck.

I went to a guy with a scanner and scanner was not allowing to test the keys. Went back to the dealer and he said it was a short in the trunk actuator wires as well as the receiver inside the mirror not working. Had the short repaired for $550, and the new mirror is $660 so he told me to get another one from ebay.

At this point now I'm able to open the trunk from the button under the left side of the dash as well as the button over the license plate; the remotes still don't work, dealer says it's because of the mirror.

I went back home and removed the mirror from my other car which is a 540 and the remote works anyway (with no mirror). installed the 540 mirror in the M3 and tried to reprogram the key and that didn't work.

Right now I don't know whether to believe the dealer and get a new mirror from ebay and which kind of mirror should I get? how to know if it has the remote receiver? or should I tell the dealer that he's BS me?

Please advice, will really appreciate any informed answer.

Have a nice day!
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: B25
I dont think so because people swap the mirrors for M3 mirrors all the time...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 01 BMW 325i
Ya, that sounds rediculous cuz like Trick said, I've seen many people on here put m3 mirrors on their e46. Also the dealer is not always right. They tell me all kind of stupid stuff that isn't right... Try posting the question on the M3 e46 forum. Maybe they know more about that than we do.

NOW A MEMORY
Old 03-16-2009, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
I thought reception was incorporated into the diversity antenna in the rear window. The following link seems to say the same thing with the antenna for convertibles only in the mirror. I can't say that I am 100% sure, and am not positive of the source, though it does look like the typical BMW TIS-type bulletin format.

see: http://jasoncampagna.com/convertiblekeylocking.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rrc.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	177847  

Last edited by Melquin; 03-16-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melquin View Post
I thought reception was incorporated into the diversity antenna in the rear window. The following link seems to say the same thing with the antenna for convertibles only in the mirror. I can't say that I am 100% sure, and am not positive of the source, though it does look like the typical BMW TIS-type bulletin format.

see: http://jasoncampagna.com/convertiblekeylocking.pdf
Wow, I'm amazed, that is what I was looking for a quick and sharp answer. Thank you very much!

Yes, mine is a convertible so then the antenna is indeed located inside the mirror...

Only thing I still need to know is which specific mirrors will fit. Probably any E46 convertible mirror?
Old 03-16-2009, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge_dohc View Post
Wow, I'm amazed, that is what I was looking for a quick and sharp answer. Thank you very much!

Yes, mine is a convertible so then the antenna is indeed located inside the mirror...

Only thing I still need to know is which specific mirrors will fit. Probably any E46 convertible mirror?
It would seem so. (but don't trust me with that much $$$) When I pulled up the mirrors for the 325'vert see:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...89&hg=51&fg=40
it shows the mirrors as having 315MHz radio electronics

Last edited by Melquin; 03-16-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: changed mhz to MHz (millihertz would be just a little too longwave)
Old 03-17-2009, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 01 BMW 325i
That shows the rear view mirror. He's taking about side mirrors I believe.

NOW A MEMORY
Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldman Sachs View Post
That shows the rear view mirror. He's taking about side mirrors I believe.
Not hardly. Read the whole thread Melquin got him all the info he needed.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 318ci convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge_dohc View Post

Hi, I have the same problem. Receiver is in the rear mirror, can u tel me if u got urs fixed an from where. Thanx
Old 12-24-2012, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 318ci convertible
Hi, I have same problem. Can u tel me if u got urs fixed an where from. Thanx
Old 12-24-2012, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 Convertible - SMG
M3 E46 Remote Receiver

My information is that the receiver for coupes is located inside the driver's side "A" pillar. I know for a fact that it's located inside that oval shaped mirror on the convertible. If you've got the coupe, a new mirror won't change anything. I changed my M3 convertible oval mirror to an E90 with Homelink, and had to have the receiver removed from the oval to the E90. Reprogram the keys, and all's good.
I didn't notice, but you may have a dead key battery; that's more likely than a dead receiver.
Good luck.