Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 03-16-2009, 07:28 AM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
135i Convertible or Z4 and a Beater?

I decided to post this here rather than the 1-series section as I felt some of you might have or have had a similar decision to make at some point:

I'm thinking of getting either a new Z4 and a half-way decent winter beater - or - a 135i convertible as a DD and no second car. I can't afford the Z and a newer vehicle together these days. My thought is that the 135i would probably handle the heavy snow better than the Z4 even with 4 snows, and that would be a less expensive route to go. I like both cars, but do have a history of owning 2-seater sports cars (mostly Miatas). I have had the experience of driving a Miata in winter and it did quite well, but could not take it out when the snow got really deep. I assume the Z4 would be the same.

So - I'd like to hear from those of you who have had or have a similar situation. What are your thoughts about taking out the Z in the winter without a larger or heavier (or higher ground clearance) backup car?

Thanks for your comments.

Doug
Old 03-16-2009, 08:44 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanna330cic View Post
I decided to post this here rather than the 1-series section as I felt some of you might have or have had a similar decision to make at some point:

I'm thinking of getting either a new Z4 and a half-way decent winter beater - or - a 135i convertible as a DD and no second car. I can't afford the Z and a newer vehicle together these days. My thought is that the 135i would probably handle the heavy snow better than the Z4 even with 4 snows, and that would be a less expensive route to go. I like both cars, but do have a history of owning 2-seater sports cars (mostly Miatas). I have had the experience of driving a Miata in winter and it did quite well, but could not take it out when the snow got really deep. I assume the Z4 would be the same.

So - I'd like to hear from those of you who have had or have a similar situation. What are your thoughts about taking out the Z in the winter without a larger or heavier (or higher ground clearance) backup car?

Thanks for your comments.

Doug
The Z4 won't do as well in deep snow, but I have to ask the "elephant in the room" question; what's wrong with the 335i vert you're currently driving

Ed

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 03-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
The Z4 won't do as well in deep snow, but I have to ask the "elephant in the room" question; what's wrong with the 335i vert you're currently driving

Ed
LOL! Nothing's wrong with it - in fact, I have 4 snows on it and it does just fine. The lease will be ending next year and I'm not keeping it. I really like the new Z4 and am assuming I will like how it handles too. I just am concerned about driving it in the winter.

Doug
Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 auto
Several threads on the Z3/Z4 forum about driving these cars in snow (search is your friend). The consensus is that the cars do fine with winter tires as long as the snow isn't deep but they don't plow very well.