Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Question “Eagle Eyes” LED taillights cause bulb out warning

Guys, I need help.
I have recently installed set of LED taillights on my 2003 325i. Installation was a breeze. Taillights look great and finish is perfect. But here is my fly in the ointment which bugs the hell out of me. As soon as i start the car i get bulb out warning on both sides. One of them (right) goes away as soon as i flash my right turn signal. But it flashes very quickly for couple of seconds, like you had the bulb out, and then it begins to flash normally and bulb out warning goes away. Same story on left side with the exception that bulb out warning does not go away. Ultimately all lights work from the outside. I had another person driving behind and in front of me to check that.
So what can be the problem? Resistors? Or something else? Please help!!!
Ads by Google
Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Registered Loser

Mein Auto: 330CI ZSP ZCW ZPP
Yes, resistors. Search for resistors & taillights
Old 03-16-2009, 01:29 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Mein Auto: BMW Duh
Check to see if the resistors are 100% secure, sounds like a resistor box issue.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:11 PM

Well, resistor box is secured as best as it can be behind the trunk trim. I find odd that i have problems with both lights; i think it is unlikely that both resistors boxes are bad. Ca it be something related to the car electrics?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
1.888.JLEVISW

Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Mein Auto: BMW Duh
If it's both sides, then most likely it's a compatibility issue between the resistor boxes and your factory wiring.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:09 PM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Dont you have to snap off part of the white thing that pressed against the frame of the car?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: E46 & E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Dont you have to snap off part of the white thing that pressed against the frame of the car?
i had to do that...

i get a "bulb out" light for a couple seconds when i turn lights on, on the RH side only sometimes though... no biggie smalls.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Yeah, i had to do that. If you don’t snap this thing off it will press against the LED plate and most likely will damage it.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowe1 View Post
i had to do that...

i get a "bulb out" light for a couple seconds when i turn lights on, on the RH side only sometimes though... no biggie smalls.
So do your lights flicker quickly for couple of seconds when you get bulb out warning? And do they flash normally when warning disappears?
Old 03-16-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurekk View Post
So do your lights flicker quickly for couple of seconds when you get bulb out warning? And do they flash normally when warning disappears?
Not that I know of. Maybe I should look.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi sedan
I have the same exact problem Yurekk is having. I installed Eagle Eye LED tails on my 2003 325 xi in January, and have yet to find the time to resolve this problem. I posted about a month or so ago but no one could figure it out. I ordered my tails from Turner Motorsports. I called them and they had no idea why this was happening and were going to try to contact manufacturer. My indy mechanic says that different year and model e46's have different lighting control boards in the ECU which handle the LED resistors differently. What kind of e46 did you install these LED tails on? That would be great if we could get to the bottom of this.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Fully Dysfunctional

Mein Auto: 02 325i
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowe1 View Post
i had to do that...

Quote:
Yeah, i had to do that. If you don’t snap this thing off it will press against the LED plate and most likely will damage it.

Where was that in the "instructions" ?...I wish I had known before I installed mine, I heard a crack and yep I broke the board on one of them..It still works though !...

My clear sides didn't mention anything on the instructions either about having to file or modify the slot so they would seat properly...You don't find that out until you call JleviSW and asking them why they don't seat properly...They tell you then about this "easy" little fix to get it to seat, but what they don't tell you is "they don't take them back if you mess it up"... Why won't a part so simple work without modifying it ?

That costs too mucking fuch ! !...

Sig courtesy of SolidJake...
Old 03-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin860 View Post
I have the same exact problem Yurekk is having. I installed Eagle Eye LED tails on my 2003 325 xi in January, and have yet to find the time to resolve this problem. I posted about a month or so ago but no one could figure it out. I ordered my tails from Turner Motorsports. I called them and they had no idea why this was happening and were going to try to contact manufacturer. My indy mechanic says that different year and model e46's have different lighting control boards in the ECU which handle the LED resistors differently. What kind of e46 did you install these LED tails on? That would be great if we could get to the bottom of this.
It is a 2003 4D 325i. I did not know that they installed different lighting control boards depending on year and model. But it is a good point. May be those resistors are not the right kind for the car or something. We need to figure this out, it really bothers me. I am taking my car to dealership tomorrow for routine maintenance and will pick the brain of some smart electronic technician over there
Old 03-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Fully Dysfunctional

Quote:
I am taking my car to dealership tomorrow for routine maintenance and will pick the brain of some smart electronic technician over there
...Good luck with that !....

Old 03-16-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknekkid View Post
Where was that in the "instructions" ?...I wish I had known before I installed mine, I heard a crack and yep I broke the board on one of them..It still works though !...

My clear sides didn't mention anything on the instructions either about having to file or modify the slot so they would seat properly...You don't find that out until you call JleviSW and asking them why they don't seat properly...They tell you then about this "easy" little fix to get it to seat, but what they don't tell you is "they don't take them back if you mess it up"... Why won't a part so simple work without modifying it ?
I broke mine too on the left side. But it's my right bulb out the lights up... Hmm.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328ci
If it is a resistor issue, and it probably is, why not pick up another one like this and put it in series with the other one.

RL-650 Tail Light Load Resistor kit
http://superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/s...gi?product=CAR

You'll have to test in series with both resistors on each taillight (one for each turn signal and one for each brake light) to find which resistor needs more resistance.

About $14 to $16 per kit of two with T-Taps and shipping.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:07 PM

Stealership would not even look at anything for free. They said that they can fix it but it would cost me $150 just for diagnostics. Screw this. I'll find another way around it.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:14 PM
Fully Dysfunctional

Quote:
Stealership would not even look at anything for free. They said that they can fix it but it would cost me $150 just for diagnostics. Screw this. I'll find another way around it.
Can't say I didn't tell ya !....