Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 06-15-2003, 08:08 PM
both feet in

Send a message via AIM to SpaceMonkey
Mein Auto: '02 ZJC
Question Separate Summer & AutoX wheels?

Okay, this fall I'll be turning my stock M68's into my winter wheel set, putting on some Blizzak LM-22's.

Now I'm starting to figure out what I should do for my summer set. I was planning on getting 18" RG-R's (since that's the only size that was available)

I just noticed TireRack started carrying them in 17" versions, and am now wondering what to do. I also just started getting into AutoX, and plan on doing several events and DE's each year.

Throwing aside financials, would I be better off getting some 17" SSR Comps for AutoX/DE's, and whatever size RG-R for the street, or would I be okay with 17" RG-R's for summer/AutoX/Track?

5sp, Sport, CWP, Xenon, Moonroof, ///M Steering Wheel, ///M Strut Brace, OEM Aluminum Pedals, Euro Storage Tray
VDO Gauges, GruppeM CAI, Shark Injector, UUC SwayBarbarians, UUC evo3 SSK & RK2, UUC TrannyMounts/Enforcers
Passport SR7 / ZR3 Radar, XM Satellite Radio, a/d/s sound, BBS RG-R 17x8 w/Bridgestone Potenza S-03 235/40ZR17
Ads by Google
Old 06-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
I think the first question you need to ask yourself is why are you getting aftermarket wheels ?

I did it strictly because I like the look of an aftermarket wheel and I wanted something different looking then stock.

Like you, I am turning my M68's into winter wheels as well but for summer I am going to have my Contisports put back on for track use.

The main reason for this is I've noticed the track really rips up tires so I don't want to use my street tires for the track
Old 06-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Monsoon 330Ci

Mein Auto: BMW 520iA... for now
I second that all the way. If you plan to run several events a year, you will be buying new street rubber at least after each season.

If you are still learning, get a set of cheap MAX Perf (Kumho MX, Kumho 712, etc) and drive them to the cords at the events, while saving a separate perfectly good set for the street use. If you are experienced, get a set of R-Comps and have fun!
Old 06-16-2003, 12:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
I recommend cruising the for sale forums on E46fanatics, Bimmerforums, and elsewhere for good deals on any sort of wheels to use for track/autox.

Don't worry too much about which wheel you get specifically, so long as it'll fit your car. For reference, my autox wheel SET cost me significantly less than ONE SSR Comp would cost. I got an absurd deal, but you can save quite a bit doing this.

Unless you're really competitive, I don't think it makes much sense to spend a ****load of money on expensive wheels just for track autox.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 06-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Mein Auto: 2010 S4, 2004 X3 2.5i
I'm trying to find a set of 18" summer wheels that are good looking, reasonably priced and light enough so that I don't feel like I'm towing an anchor at autocross events and driver's schools.

The RGR is on my list, along with the SSR Comp. Two others that meet all the requirements are the OEM radial spoke Style 32, and the new Alpina wheel.

The ZHP wheel should probably qualify as well. I bet it's a fairly light wheel, as 18" OEM wheels go, since the design should allow it to be light and I don't think BMW would put heavy wheels on its new performance package 330i.

However, I've always thought I'd get a set of the Style 71 wheels, which are optional on the 330Ci this year, but I think they're heavier.

I wish someone would weigh a Style 71 and a ZHP wheel.
Old 06-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Here since day one

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilH

I wish someone would weigh a Style 71 and a ZHP wheel.

Maybe when I get together with George (Geo330i) I can talk him into letting me weigh out his wheels . . .
Old 06-16-2003, 05:43 PM
both feet in

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
I recommend cruising the for sale forums on E46fanatics, Bimmerforums, and elsewhere for good deals on any sort of wheels to use for track/autox.

Don't worry too much about which wheel you get specifically, so long as it'll fit your car. For reference, my autox wheel SET cost me significantly less than ONE SSR Comp would cost. I got an absurd deal, but you can save quite a bit doing this.

Unless you're really competitive, I don't think it makes much sense to spend a ****load of money on expensive wheels just for track autox.
You're right, and that's a great recommendation. I also think that will be more practical for me rather than having to mount/remount winter and autox tires on the same wheels twice a year. I guess it will depend on how cheap a set of rims I can find.

5sp, Sport, CWP, Xenon, Moonroof, ///M Steering Wheel, ///M Strut Brace, OEM Aluminum Pedals, Euro Storage Tray
VDO Gauges, GruppeM CAI, Shark Injector, UUC SwayBarbarians, UUC evo3 SSK & RK2, UUC TrannyMounts/Enforcers
Passport SR7 / ZR3 Radar, XM Satellite Radio, a/d/s sound, BBS RG-R 17x8 w/Bridgestone Potenza S-03 235/40ZR17
Old 06-16-2003, 05:45 PM
both feet in

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilH
I'm trying to find a set of 18" summer wheels that are good looking, reasonably priced and light enough so that I don't feel like I'm towing an anchor at autocross events and driver's schools.

The RGR is on my list, along with the SSR Comp. Two others that meet all the requirements are the OEM radial spoke Style 32, and the new Alpina wheel.

The ZHP wheel should probably qualify as well. I bet it's a fairly light wheel, as 18" OEM wheels go, since the design should allow it to be light and I don't think BMW would put heavy wheels on its new performance package 330i.
I would guess the ZHP wheels are at least as heavy as M68's, meaning 24-25lbs. The 18" RGRs are 18 lbs.

Does anyone have the weight for 17" RGR's?

Old 06-16-2003, 05:52 PM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

According to this link, the 17x7.5 RGR is 17.0 lbs and the 18x8 is 17.2 lbs.

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/wheel22.shtml

If the ZHP wheels are just as heavy as the M68s, I'd be happy. A weight savings would be nice, but I just don't want the car to be much slower than stock.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:35 AM
Here since day one

I really doubt the ZHP wheels are the same weight as the M68's . . . the tires alone are going to be heavier . . .

I bet you the ZHP wheels are 48-50 lbs each . . .
Old 06-17-2003, 10:17 AM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
I like the idea of using the same wheels as both snow and track wheels....after all, how many times do the two converge?

For summer, I like RCs. A bit spendy though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn3396.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	296.5 KB
ID:	14196  
Old 06-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Quote:
Originally posted by AF330i
I really doubt the ZHP wheels are the same weight as the M68's . . . the tires alone are going to be heavier . . .

I bet you the ZHP wheels are 48-50 lbs each . . .
Here are M135 wheel weights (Contis front Dunlops rear):

Front 47.2 lbs
Rear 51.8 lbs

per:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...threadid=92112

Sounds close enough to stock to me. Unless the Style 71 weighs the same or less, I think the M135s are at the top of my list (again).
Old 06-17-2003, 04:13 PM
both feet in

Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
I like the idea of using the same wheels as both snow and track wheels....after all, how many times do the two converge?

For summer, I like RCs. A bit spendy though...
Well I'm considering RG-R's, so that's unfortunately even spendier.

I may end up using my M68's for both winter and track. I guess it'll depend on how cheap a used set of wheels I can find next year, and how quickly I'll go through tires.

If I plan on doing 7-10 AutoX's, and 2-4 DE's a year, will that use up one set of high performance tires? Or even more than 1 set?

Old 06-17-2003, 04:22 PM
Audi, BMW or Porsche???

Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
I may end up using my M68's for both winter and track.
That sounds like a good idea to me as well, since I could keep my wheel collection small (mainly to keep my wife happy ). However, the wheels are bound to get scratched to hell from all that mounting and dismounting of tires by the grease monkeys.