Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 06-18-2003, 01:57 PM
Moderator, 5-Series

Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Rogue Eng. Tranny Mount Pads

I finally got around to installing the Rogue Engineering transmission mount pads I received about 5 months ago from Dave Z. The pic clearly shows the beefiness of RE's over BMW's tranny pads.

Did I notice a dramatic difference? No, not really. Did I notice a difference? Yes, I believe I did. I think the shifts feel a bit firmer and tighter...more assured if that makes sense.

It is a pretty easy install once you get under the car...get a variety of 13 mm tools (socket, univ. joint, extensions, combo wrench, deep-offset boxend). Lift the car and support with jackstands. Next, support the transmission. Finally, undo the 3 bolts per side for the aluminum tranny crossmember and undo the bolts on the top and bottom of the exisiting tranny mounts. Everything is 13 mm.

On my 2001 530i, there was an heat shield in the way of 2 of the crossmember bolts...it was easily bent out of the way and the deep-offset boxend wrench and a wobble 13 mm socket was easy to get in there. Surprisingly, nothing seemed very tight to me. I was prepared to grunt and groan.

One amusing item was another crossmember just aft of the transmission crossmember kept arbitrarily dumping water on me that had pooled there from use of the a/c. There was a little hole purposely drilled into the crossmember expressly (I'm sure) for getting rid of water and if I torqued the car just right while working under there, I got a little bath!

Pick these items up from RE or Dave Zeckhausen...$45/pair (Dave's Discussion ). Next is to put in some Royal Purple or Redline tranny fluid and I think all that should compliment my short shifter kit and weighted selector rod from RE and I think I'll be done with playing around the transmission.

Advertisement
Old 06-19-2003, 02:45 AM
I'm Eating My Head

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
I did this install not too long ago. I too was expecting a little grunt and groan exercise but it was a 30 minutes job max. There is a notch on the mounts that match up with the tranny mount; make sure to get these lined up before you reinstall the brace.

I can't say that there was a big difference that I could notice, but I like the confidence factor there.

Yeah, Royal Purple for the 6 speed is next. I might wait a little longer though as I only have 2500 miles on the car. Every one of them with a huge grin ! Damn ! I have more fun driving this car backwards than any other car I have driven forward...........