Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 x3
X3 Xenon Light Issues (Mismatched and Maligned)

I know I'm a new member, and its common new members need help, and disappear, but I might be here for a while, since I have some work to do.

(What is the difference between bimmerfest and bimmerforums? Don't bash, I posted this there by mistake [I already had an account here], I apologize I didn't mean to post in 2 places)

Here is what Happened:

1. Passenger Light Side went out
2. Purchased Phillips 4300k d2s (http://www.kbcarstuff.com/Philips_43.../pb-d2s-4k.htm)
3. Realized bulb that came out of x3 was a Osram Xenarc (is it a 66040?)
4. Proceeded to install bulb
5. When housing was put back, bulb pointed to the left, motor working but not aiming headlight correctly
6. Tried to use adjusters, but they didn't work at all, or at least not enough for me to notice (first started soft, 2-3 turns, then tried 20)

I have two problems:

1. Mismatched bulbs
2. Headlight Adjustment

I want to put in matching bulbs, I assume these are the Sylvania/Osram Xenarc 66040. Is this correct? I can get a pair these for around $100 new.

How do I fix the bulb alignment or figure out what is wrong? I heard about adjuster clips breaking, if this is the case, this is a lot harder than I can handle to repair. What might be the issue, and how can I get it repaired without spending a great deal?

Thanks for understanding.
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
I don't think anyone here has dealt with replacing a xenon headlamp.........those are supposed to be only done by service techs. It's not like a halogen bulb where you can just remove and replace it. In addition, xenon lamps have a long life, and few, if any 2004 X3s have seen the need for headlamp replacement already.

As for the height alignment, do both headlamps auto-level properly when you turn the car on the first time? The headlamp height adjustment is not meant for large adjustments. I notice a difference in the light cutoff with 1,5 to 2 turns.

It sounds like you do need a trip to the dealer.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 x3
Wow, yeah, I didn't do it myself, a friend has an auto electric shop, so he did it and I watched, but he didn't know how to do the alignment, its way off, pointing left.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubaid View Post
... didn't know how to do the alignment, its way off, pointing left.
AFAIK an alignment is not needed when replacing Xenon bulbs.

Could be the case if you have the Adaptive option though.

Other than that, there is a youtube video of a guy replacing a Xenon in a 3 series (I think), that made it look quite straightforward.

Not sure why there are several different types of Xenon bulbs, other than color or temperature, but maybe that incompatibility caused your apparent alignment issue.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 325
Change the bulb not car Osram or Philips is same because xenon bulb all is 35W D2S bulb.

when you change the the bulb ,the xenon work is OK?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70Diesel, E46
I changed the xenon bulb on my e60 and its pretty much like changing a regular bulb (removing the whole headlight assembly was the only hard part). But to have a match color you need to replace both. Since older bulbs might have different color than the new bulb even if the old and new are both 4300k temperature. I haven't tried replacing the xenon on my x3 yet but it's pretty much the same with my e60.