Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3, 750i, 325iC, 323i
I drove the F01 750i today

I want it!

2007 750i
2000 323i
1995 M3
1991 325iC
2006 MINI Cooper
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
What did you order?

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454
Old 03-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasser View Post

I want it!
Detailed review, please!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Detailed review, please!
+1

2013 750 Li Alpine White/Black|M-Sport Pkg|LED Lighting Pkg|Exec Pkg|Drivers Assist Pkg|760 Exhaust Tips|Painted Calipers

2008 Toyota Sequoia Platinum--Arctic Frost Pearl/Red Rock

2006 750 Li-Retired
2006 330i-Retired
2002 M3-Retired
2000 323Ci-Retired
1991 M3-Retired
Old 03-09-2009, 04:05 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW X3
We received our first F10 short body on Saturday,if you're in the area,stop in for a test drive.This is the best car to purchase/lease for ED,the savings is huge !

BMW of Crystal Lake | email: irv_robinson@yahoo.com
For detailed ED information, visit my BMW European Delivery website and my autos blog
Wall Street Journal article on BMW European Delivery
Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
We received our first F10 short body on Saturday,if you're in the area,stop in for a test drive.This is the best car to purchase/lease for ED,the savings is huge !
Irv - are you speaking specifically to the F02 as being a good ED buy? or the F01/F02 generally as a pair since the overall $$$ savings is the biggest in the BMW model lineup? The M5/M6 if so would equally offer nice savings for ED.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 03-09-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
Ira, could you please send me some more details re Euro lease dude?
Old 03-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Detailed review, please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaMMM View Post
+1
I posted on another thread in the E65/66 forum about my experience:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, just came back from a test drive and I have to say its a very sweet car.

It does look much better in person than in pictures online, however I have to agree that its a different style from the E65/E66.

Its still an evolutionary model, not a whole redesign but its much more cohesive and the the whole car looks much more solid and smooth. The front is strange though and it seems to look good from every angle except dead on... but its not horrible. The back I have to agree with everyone else that it seems a little bland. Not too much happening but then it fits into the whole body much better though.

The interior though was just perfect, the design is going back towards the surrounded cockpit type feel with the center console raised much higher than before. The shifter is back on the console along with lots of other buttons and the improved IDrive controller and things just looked and felt much more futuristic.

But the best part was the drive obviously, the new 7 is a much tauter and better mannered car. The one I drove didnt have the sport package but it already handled way better than my current 750, very little lean in the corners and the car was already sitting low on the wheels. The suspension sitffness modes also helped and made noticeable changes in the ride quality, with the Comfort setting being sublime even on rough roads.

Its not a perfect car but they seem to have taken the E65 and fixed all the major problems with a cleaner look.

I definitely want one.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=351757

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:46 AM
My other car is faster

Mein Auto: Porsche 996 GT2
I also drove an 09 750Li.
I was at Cars and Coffee Las Vegas and the local dealer had a new delivery on display. Here's my impressions:

1. The car looks better and less "Lexus" in person than in the photos I've seen. However, it does not look as "solid" as the previous model. I agree the rear is plain, and I don't like the exhaust tips built into the bumper. When you actually examine them you realize they are not connected to the exhaust and end up just looking cheap. The worst aspect of the exterior are the ridiculously large kidney grills. Unlike the X5 grills, which are also large, but designed with thick vertical pieces which give them a great look, the new 7 has huge rounded openings thin vertical strips, which give it a barbeque grill effect. BMW dropped the ball here.

2. The interior is definitely different. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't have much by way of "luxury" and "workmanship" over the previous model. In fact, the dash is much smaller (front to back) and less imposing. It would actually fit just fine in a 3 or a 5. The gauge hump is tiny. The steering wheel looks like it came out of a 325. The doors do not feel as heavy as the previous model, although I think this is a function of the fantastic new door management system which allows the doors super smooth and easy travel while at the same time eliminating all free play. The doors actually seem to lock where you leave them, and stay there until you apply more force, at which time they once again move as if they were powered. This is a great feature for steep driveways.

3. My 06 760Li has the sport package, so I didn't think the handling was worlds better than what I'm used to. However, the car definitely felt lighter and very sporty. The multi adjustable suspension is great and really works. As for power, here, the new 750 really shines. The car is noticeably more powerful than the 4.8. Although there appears to be apparent "turbo lag", I couldn't tell whether it was really turbo lag or just that familiar "computer lag" we are all used to when we lead foot the accelerator. The car is no more quiet than old. I will say the engine is very quiet and even with all the new power, the transmission is so smooth, you hardly notice the gear changes. The brakes, as always, are BMW perfection.

4. The best part of the new car is the electronics. Although in changing the idrive, it seems that BMW has really busied up the dash. There are literally buttons everywhere! Even the center console is now a forest of buttons for every feature, and there are a bunch of features! Best of all is the new screen. It's huge and very bright. The navigation is really updated and no longer looks like a World War I battle schematic. From the screen you might mistake it for a Lexus, which in this case is a good thing. Also, the map scale changes are super fast. The new idrive seems very intuitive and works well, although I didn't get a chance to put it through all its paces. Inside the center console there is a USB port, where you can hook up your laptop and load 12 gigs worth of music onto the car's hard drive. This is obviously a great feature.

Overall, I think the car is a winner, although, notwithstanding the electronics, I'm in no hurry to give up my current 7, which still amazes me every day.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: n/a
Just drove another 750i with the sport package on Friday and I must say the new 4-wheel steering is very effective. I could notice it working on the freeway but the best part was trying to steer through the dealer parking lot. It's almost eerie how well it turns and it definitely doesn't feel "normal" at slow speeds but the extra maneuverability was amazing. Felt like the car was just turning from its center than from the front.

I am let down by some of the interior though, I do think its very nice and clean but in some places like the doors, its almost too sparse. Both cars I looked had the Oyster off-white interiors and the doors just looked plain. The wood strip is nice but its too high on the door to really notice. The rest of the panel is just one plain color and the buttons look cheaper without any kind of surround. The current e65/66 have a much more sophisticated looking interior on the sides. I'll wait to see a black interior before I make up my mind though.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Good to hear these real life reviews. Thanks. Now, of course, I'm not really a 7er type driver (I'll always have a 3er...maybe a 5er one day), but I prefer the somewhat spartan, teutonic interior of BMWs over all the frufru in other makes. To me BMW is mainly about the superior driving experience, even in the 7er. I'm glad to hear about the improvements to the handling charateristics.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-16-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Just drop a form off at my local dealership and they had a new 7 up front and in the show room. I had not at all looked at the new 7s and was confused what model the car was. It looked like a 5er to me for some reason. The front fascia is much more imposing with the big kidney's but overall seeing the car from the side it did not appear as long as previous 7s look like to me on the road. I guess that might be a good thing -- I have no clue if the dimensions have changed at all.

The interior looked very nice and roomy. That's as close as I will get to a 7, most likely ever. If I spend that much money I'd rather get a brand new 911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY