Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-10-2007, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: hopefully BMW 528i
Gear won't shift - transmission problem?

After the car(08-528i) was parked for a week and when it's time to use it this morning, the shift gear won't move to D or R(tried everything stepped on brakes, on/off,etc.), after a few mins of trying everything, then it engages. Then this same incident happened again in the afternoon but this time, i have to call SOS and they said it's the transmission and they sent me a tow truck, after waiting for few hours, when tried again - it worked. Anyone knows what's going on? the car only have 1K miles on it. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2007, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535i
Haven't heard of this problem before but please keep us posted on what you find out. Good luck...
2008 535i - Space Gray Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Sport Pkg. / Premium Pkg. / Cold Weather Pkg. w/ heated rear seats / Sport Auto / NAV / PDC / CA / NV / Logic-7 / iPod / Sirius / V-1 Hardwired / Clear Bra / Tint / JB3
Old 08-10-2007, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Mine is doing the same thing. I haven't taken it in yet. But it happens almost everytime I engage it. After about 5-10 seconds, it finally works.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Normally it can be the unit which unlocks the shift locking pin when you press the brake or the pin unit itself. Either way let us know what you find out. Good thing for warranties eh?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
My 2008 528i may be doing the same thing

On a few occasions, I went to back out of the garage and shifted into reverse and it did not respond on the first try but on the second. My husband said I needed to be more deliberate on the shift. I hope it is not a problem with the car but a problem with me. After reading this post and the other, I'm not so sure.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
I had the same problem, they replaced the gear shift assembly and now it's fine.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: hopefully BMW 528i
Hello, The problem didn't happened again but I planned on bringing it to the dealer to have it checked.

How long did they have to work on the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuffdutechie View Post
I had the same problem, they replaced the gear shift assembly and now it's fine.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 MSport
'08 535xi Won't Shift into R or D from Park

The same thing happened to me last night in 10 degree F temperature in NYC parked on top of windy Port Authority Garage. I called SOS and they said to try to shift a few times and if it doesn't engage they will send a tow. After continuing to question them they said it might enagage after a reset, which means turning ignition off and removing key, then letting car sit idle and off for 18 minutes. I gave it 3 hours, and when I came back and used my wife's key it worked fine. My dealer says thay haven't heard of this problem with the E60 automatic console shifter, but as you all show it has happened before. Dealer will take a look at the car next week.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 535xi
I'm beginning to notice something similar. Shifting into reverse often doesn't "take" - and it can take 2 or 3 tries. It used to work fine every time - I'm not doing anything differently. 2 or 3 attempts is becoming the norm. I wonder if the very cold weather has anything to do with it.

2011 535xi - Black Sapphire, Venetian Beige

2008 535xi - Monaco Blue, Natural Brown Leather
Old 02-07-2009, 12:24 PM

535xi Shift lever Won't go out of Park

I often have the same problem shifting into R, but I always thought that I wasn't pressing in the button on the left ide of the shift lever properly. I have had that problem since I've had the car (June 07). Maybe the two problems are related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerWalker View Post
Shifting into reverse often doesn't "take" - and it can take 2 or 3 tries. It used to work fine every time - I'm not doing anything differently. 2 or 3 attempts is becoming the norm. I wonder if the very cold weather has anything to do with it.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i SE
Hi I have a 530i SE LCI reg Sep 07 UK model. I had a new gear selector replaced under warranty. BMW knows about the problem and has a fix.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
I had a similar issue on a 7 series loaner. Turning of the ignition and walking away worked after 15 minutes.

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madurodave View Post
Turning of the ignition and walking away worked after 15 minutes.
....which is what happened to me. However it would have been better if BMW Assist had told me of that option without me having to ask if there was a way to do a reset. If I hadn't asked, I would have taken the tow they offered, and waited in the car with the engine running as it was close to zero outside. Then there would have been no time to let it reset when the tow truck arrived.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:16 PM

Update on Shifter

Brought the car to the dealer for oil change and brake fluid, and told the SA about the shifter problem. SA called back and told me the shifter was bad and is being replaced, a known problem on 5's. I'll let you know how it goes after I pick up the car.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: Toyota Corolla
Yes ... I did hear of this shifter issue on the e60forums.net as well. I doubt anything is wrong with the transmission per say ... it must be shifter assembly. You know .. its really stupid ... over engineered decisions like these that give the BMW such a bad (albeit rather small) rap. I mean they design cars like the //M, awesome TT engines, the finest six-cylinder engines in the world, suspension dynamics second-to-none .. and they screw up on a shifter assembly. Just leave the damn automatic lever as a nicely shaped sporty leather wrapped stick ... why put in a norelco shaver instead which is so electronically finicky! I wonder what cost cutting measure drove them to this design. This is one piece I wish they just lifted from the 3-series.

I still love the cars .. minor annoyances I guess ... !
Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
I agree the new shifter is stupid. BMW tends to address questions that no one asks. I guess it's hard to be a great brand with a huge consumer base. The marketing department must run out of things to do there.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
I agree the new shifter is stupid. BMW tends to address questions that no one asks.
LOL..... The "electronic dipstick" also comes to mind.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 E61
Anyone else (recently) have this same issue? Our 2008 e61 occasionally has this issue. A restart resolved it once and placing the key in the ignition resolved it the other time. Is there a service bulletin for this?
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Tail out!

Mein Auto: BMW
Holy thread of the undead, Batman!

BTW, you'll need either a brake interlock switch or a new shifter assembly, eventually.

2007. That's some searchin'. BTW, you'll generally get more play on a new thread...
Old 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Unhappy Is this covered by warranty or recall?

I'm having the same issue, just happened this week. SOS sent a tow, the next day BMW said there was no problem but the computer did report a "fault" in the gear shift.

I'm past the warranty, for those who received the fix, was it covered under a warranty/recall or did you pay?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Sounds like solenoid in the shifter that disables the "lock" isn't working properly

(assuming BMW's are anything like most other brands, which I probably shouldn't assume)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:08 PM

Traded in my car, dealer says it is fine :/ Beware to the next driver!!
Old 01-24-2014, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I just fix mine. There's a black plastic thing with a loop at the end on the passenger side of the shifter that disengages the locking mechanism.
To get to it there are 3 little torque screws holding a black plastic cover. Once that's removed slide the loop onto the stainless steel pin and Bob is your uncle. Done in 15-20 mins.

Gave it a few test trials and works like a charm
Old 07-13-2014, 06:38 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyz4boyz View Post
I just fix mine. There's a black plastic thing with a loop at the end on the passenger side of the shifter that disengages the locking mechanism.
To get to it there are 3 little torque screws holding a black plastic cover. Once that's removed slide the loop onto the stainless steel pin and Bob is your uncle. Done in 15-20 mins.

Gave it a few test trials and works like a charm
My 2005 545i had very similar situation last night after sitting on a slope for an hour. The shifter just slipped through all gears, R, N, and D like nothing is there. Feel nothing, heard nothing, and it stayed in P. Waited for a night, and still the same in the morning. Do you think it might be the same fix? Thanks!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuswfr View Post
My 2005 545i had very similar situation last night after sitting on a slope for an hour. The shifter just slipped through all gears, R, N, and D like nothing is there. Feel nothing, heard nothing, and it stayed in P. Waited for a night, and still the same in the morning. Do you think it might be the same fix? Thanks!
Just tonight after driving 2 hrs and after taking a restroom break, my shifter wouldn't shift. I took out the manual and tried the unlocking method but all that does is put the car in N. I thought it might have to do something with the slope so I pushed it down to a level parking spot and tried shifting...still nothing. I don't know if I did it or it just takes time for the car to get back to normal but I started to pull out fuses and check them. After a dozen of fuses or so I stuck the key back in the ignition and this time all works well. Prior to this happening though, I did get a notification from the car stating that the battery in my key fob was low. Don't know if that has anything to do with the shifting but hopefully this doesn't happen again. And if it's a shifter problem, maybe enough issues and complaints BMW would make it a recall issue. Hopefully...

2008 550i, stock M-Tech bodykit, convenience package, comfort access, sports package, 2010 nav, bluetooth, Logic 7, ACS trunk spoiler, ACS roof spoiler, aluminum ///M sports pedals, X5 LED angel eyes, Luminics H3 Artic White turning lights, Luminics H7 Artic White fog lights, aFe Pro Dry S air filter, Full hyper white LEDs, 20" Lexani LSS-10 on Conticontact DW staggered, Full front clear mask.