Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-30-2009, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i
E39 Auxiliary Input Installation

For those of you who have been following the auxiliary input discussions on the forums then you've probably seen me posting questions and/or information that I've found from various sources concerning this installation. Since I bought my car I've wanted to use my iPod in the car but since moving to Chicago, the amount of available radio frequencies is next to nothing so I haven't been able to use my FM transmitter for about a year. I finally found out about this auxiliary input kit from the factory and it's been my mission to get this into my car. I never liked the idea of the DICE unit being controlled through the stereo since you had to use buttons that weren't correctly assigned, could only view one line of text, and made it seem to be a lot more difficult to scan through many gigs of music whenever I wanted.

I found out my CD player (CD53) was a May 2002 build date and ran with the "42" version software. I kept hearing that you needed the "flat pins" and then you'd be ok for this to work. I also heard that the "50" version of the software was needed on the 2002 build CD53's for it to recognize the auxiliary plug. I wanted to verify this so I ended up buying an AUX plug kit (82 11 0 149 390) and a July 2003 build CD53 (65 12 6 927 908) off ebay. I wanted get both in case the AUX plug kit itself wouldn't work and I wouldn't have to take apart the control center for my dash more than once. Now on to the installation...

Here's a shot of the dash as I'm sure most of the 2002 E39 owners out there see every day. My car came equipped with the Business CD with DSP and without the CD changer.

As most of you have done already to check your software version, here the volume knob is removed and using a torx bit with a 1/4 turn the MID just pops off.

After turning the 2 small allen head screws just below the face of the Business CD I pulled it out of the dash and removed the plug on the back of it. This is where the Aux plug kit snaps in to the plug

To test to see if the "42" software would work, I just plugged the harness back into the back of the Business CD to double check.

Shows Radio mode and then CD mode. No AUX mode so "42" software doesn't work. Luckily I had this on hand. From the looks of it I'm guessing this came out of an X5 (E53)

Again, I turned on the car and tried it (without fastening anything into place) and sure enough...

I now have my auxiliary input! It works just fine and here's a lil video of it...

I waited on drilling and mounting the wires to complete the "factory look". I wanted to make sure I put it in a place that was easily accessible to plug/unplug the 3.5mm cable and also made the iPod easy to get to. The factory location may end up being the final spot, but with 3.5mm cables available in 3ft and 6ft, it's usually too short or too long to find a good location. It was cold this weekend and didn't want to haul my tools down 3 flights of stairs without having a plan set in place so this works for now. I ran the Aux cable behind the radio over to the glove box and then plugged in the 3.5mm cable and routed that wire towards the dash. You can see the panel that helped me hide the cable for now which makes it easy to hide the iPod next to the seat when I'm not in the car.

Feel free to make any comments, questions, or suggestions that you think might be good spots for the plug location. I hope this helps a few of you guys out when it comes to this installation. I'm glad I did it and I'm impressed with the sound quality. I do have a couple gripes and/or suggestions for you guys...

1) The volume really needs to be turned to full on the iPod and then turned up quite a bit on the stereo too. Remember to turn it down before switching to another mode

2) Be sure you remember to take out the CD that's in your old CD player before installing your old one. Ask me how I know...

3) Be sure to write down any radio stations you have preset within the MID. All of mine were reset (as you can see by the static in the video when first in radio mode) and had to find all those and reprogram them.

4) Make offers! If you find the CD53 that you want on ebay for a buy it now/offer, throw them an offer. I was surprised I got it for what I asked, so see how low you can find it on ebay and throw out an offer for that price. What's the worst that can happen, they tell you "no"?
Advertisement
Old 03-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530i
Nice to see your research and hard work was successful. I put my aux jack where the console cup holder is. I trimmed off .5 inches of the passenger side cup holder and routed the jack through the opening in console. Those console cup holders are usless anyway.

Hope this helps....JL
Old 03-30-2009, 01:58 PM
YeS...

Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
I had the same problem as you. I just cant spend $200+ on a cd player right now and wait to sell mine.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRFast View Post
Nice to see your research and hard work was successful. I put my aux jack where the console cup holder is. I trimmed off .5 inches of the passenger side cup holder and routed the jack through the opening in console. Those console cup holders are usless anyway.

Hope this helps....JL
I've seen people put it on the left side of the cupholer area but my bigget concern is the plug sticking out when I need to use the power outlet for my GPS. I want to find someplace kinda hidden but clever. I was thinking in the cubby hole place on the armrest but I have the fancy flipout cupholder there. I'm still toying with places, hoping for help from my g/f's clever mind to come up with something creative and easy, yet factory looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglovemp View Post
I had the same problem as you. I just cant spend $200+ on a cd player right now and wait to sell mine.
If it makes it any easier, I was able to get mine for $150 shipped. I'm listing mine as soon as I can figure out how to sell stuff on ebay and hoping to recoup all my costs including the new cable.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:45 PM

My jack is on the far right side of the console so it does not interfere with the cigarette lighter. I will post an image if you need to see it.

Regards....JL
Old 03-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy4DSM View Post
I've seen people put it on the left side of the cupholer area but my bigget concern is the plug sticking out when I need to use the power outlet for my GPS. I want to find someplace kinda hidden but clever. I was thinking in the cubby hole place on the armrest but I have the fancy flipout cupholder there. I'm still toying with places, hoping for help from my g/f's clever mind to come up with something creative and easy, yet factory looking.

If it makes it any easier, I was able to get mine for $150 shipped. I'm listing mine as soon as I can figure out how to sell stuff on ebay and hoping to recoup all my costs including the new cable.
To power my GPS I use a flashlight power adapter in the glove compartment. The flshlight outlet has the added advantage of being switched with the ignition, so the GPS comes on and off w/ the car. My AUX outlet does not block the cigarette lighter outlet. I placed it to the right of the outlet, and I use a 90 degree plug in it, to keep it out of the way.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Has anyone considered mounting the 3.5 MM jack on the face of the CD Player itself? I thought it might be a nice place if I ever end up getting one.

Another place I thought about was on the rear cup holder bracket above the cup holders (not too hard to reach from the front and easy access to the back and also inconpicuous location when you are riding in the car).

Another place I have thought about was in the center console ash tray in that round piece that sits on the left side of the ash tray. I think it could be located in there with a little imagination. (That would be inconspicuous and easy to access also).

The front cup holder location looks convenient also as long as it does not interfere with anything like the socket for charging etc.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:59 PM

Muddy4DSM,
How do you control your Balance and your Fader with that new unit? Does the Tone button do that along with your Bass and your Treble?

Also, How is it with noise? Is it clear (No Noise) with or without your source being plugged in for charging while they are playing?

Last edited by ItsMe; 03-31-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMe View Post
Has anyone considered mounting the 3.5 MM jack on the face of the CD Player itself? I thought it might be a nice place if I ever end up getting one.
This actually sounds like a pretty smooth idea. There's parts on the side of it that are just a facia for the cd player so plenty of available space behind for the jack. I'll definatly check this one out, maybe tape it in there and take some pics to see what you guys think. Great idea!

Quote:
Another place I thought about was on the rear cup holder bracket above the cup holders (not too hard to reach from the front and easy access to the back and also inconpicuous location when you are riding in the car).
Another good spot, but my first concern would be the cable length. I don't it would be long enough to get the female end of the stock harness to reach that far. If you plugged in the 3.5mm jack and then just ran the cable out of a small hole, that'd work just fine but might be a little bit harder to get a "finished" look around the hole.

[/QUOTE] Another place I have thought about was in the center console ash tray in that round piece that sits on the left side of the ash tray. I think it could be located in there with a little imagination. (That would be inconspicuous and easy to access also). [/QUOTE]

Would this be the cigarette putter-outer thing? That is a pretty good idea. I was thinking that are might be a good place to put it but I was limiting myself to thinking just through to bottom of the ashtray itself. This would require the cable to be unplugged to close the door, but I guess this would be the case for just about any other location besides the cup holder spot you mentioned.

Quote:
The front cup holder location looks convenient also as long as it does not interfere with anything like the socket for charging etc.
I agree, but it just doesn't seem as finished for my taste. I bet with a nice coating of flat black around the whole unit it might look better, but I'd rather keep it as subtle as possible. Maybe someone can photoshop all of it being black and see what it might look like.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Muddy4DSM,
How do you control your Balance and your Fader with that new unit? Does the Tone button do that along with your Bass and your Treble?
I was actually going to update this about my install. As I was playing with the sound today ( I was listening to my Dave Matthews playlist and noticed the highs weren't as crisp as they should be) so I hit the audio button. I totally didn't think about it, but all my audio settings were reset with the installation of the new unit. As I was changing them, I noticed there was now some new soft buttons that looked like [ + ] AUX [ - ]. I started playing and realized that it was basically the gain for the AUX input. I pushed the plus button and fixed the "problem" I had with the AUX mode being so much quieter than the radio and CD player.

As for the Fader/ Balance and the Bass/ Trebbel, it's all controlled through the audio button on my MID or through the tone button on the CD player (both bring up the same menu)

Quote:
Also, How is it with noise? Is it clear (No Noise) with or without your source being plugged in for charging while they are playing?
Mine doesn't have any noise at all. I haven't hooked up a charger for it yet so if adding one causes some noise is yet to be seen. It will stay charged for a week or so with my daily commute so just charge it when it's low so far and won't be a problem. As for longer trips, this will be something for me to look into or I can bring my monster cable FM transmitter I used before I moved into the city since it works well about an hour outside the city. I'll let you know if I end up hooking up a charger for it.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:17 PM

Quote:
I was actually going to update this about my install. As I was playing with the sound today ( I was listening to my Dave Matthews playlist and noticed the highs weren't as crisp as they should be) so I hit the audio button. I totally didn't think about it, but all my audio settings were reset with the installation of the new unit. As I was changing them, I noticed there was now some new soft buttons that looked like [ + ] AUX [ - ]. I started playing and realized that it was basically the gain for the AUX input. I pushed the plus button and fixed the "problem" I had with the AUX mode being so much quieter than the radio and CD player.

As for the Fader/ Balance and the Bass/ Trebbel, it's all controlled through the audio button on my MID or through the tone button on the CD player (both bring up the same menu)

Mine doesn't have any noise at all. I haven't hooked up a charger for it yet so if adding one causes some noise is yet to be seen. It will stay charged for a week or so with my daily commute so just charge it when it's low so far and won't be a problem. As for longer trips, this will be something for me to look into or I can bring my monster cable FM transmitter I used before I moved into the city since it works well about an hour outside the city. I'll let you know if I end up hooking up a charger for it.
Thanks for the info Muddy4DSM. I had one more questionabout your new unit...Do you know if it retains the ability to have a CD Changer when you have the Aux input kit hooked up to it?
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info Muddy4DSM. I had one more questionabout your new unit...Do you know if it retains the ability to have a CD Changer when you have the Aux input kit hooked up to it?
Thanks!
No problem - I like answering the questions. It makes me feel like I might actually know something about these fancy German cars!

Actually, I'm really excited that the mod went together as easily as I've been hearing and hope others go this route and enjoy it like I already have been.

As for the the CD changer, I really couldn't tell you. I don't have the changer and really have no need for it. I'd rather just use the Business CD instead of the changer but obviously if your car already has it then I could see you wanting to retain it's function. You can see on my pictures where the AUX plug goes into the back of the harness. I don't know if the changer uses that location or the spot right next to it so I can't help you there. I believe there's a way in the instructions on how to rewire the plug for the changer or the AUX so that both work but don't quote me on this. I can check the paperwork tonight or tomorrow if I think of it at home, but I really can't give you a definite answer on this since I don't have the equipment to test it. Sorry!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 03 540i6
To the question about CD Changer - Yes, it still works. The AUX mode is now the fourth option (radio, single CD, changer AUX). As Muudy says, there are separate audio options for the AUX input, including Level.

As far as location, I use close to the same set-up as Chief, only slightly to the driver side. It does not interfere with the lighter with my standard 3.5mm plug. If you used a right angle, no issue at all. I like to be able to put the IPOD in the tray right there. I NEVER use the cupholders, so it's a perfect place. If you locate up by the CD player, you have the cable in the way, unless you mount the IPOD up there.

I highly recommend using the line-level out on the IPOD, rather than earphone out. Otherwise you use two volume controls, which affects the sound.

dave
03 540i6
Old 03-31-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540nj View Post
To the question about CD Changer - Yes, it still works. The AUX mode is now the fourth option (radio, single CD, changer AUX). As Muddy says, there are separate audio options for the AUX input, including Level.
Glad to hear it will all work. Thanks for the input Dave!

Quote:
As far as location, I use close to the same set-up as Chief, only slightly to the driver side. It does not interfere with the lighter with my standard 3.5mm plug. If you used a right angle, no issue at all. I like to be able to put the IPOD in the tray right there. I NEVER use the cupholders, so it's a perfect place. If you locate up by the CD player, you have the cable in the way, unless you mount the IPOD up there.
I didn't plan ahead for this and purchased a 3.5mm plug that's just a straight plug and not the angled one. I will have to take this into account with my mounting location or start looking for the reciept for Radio Shack, haha. You're correct about the cable, maybe I can find a way to mount the iPod right by there but I'll have to take into account a passenger wanting to use it (directionality) as well as passenger comfort (knee hitting the mount). I also never use my cup holders since I have the TEK cupholder (I think that's what it's called that flips out) so my little tray is the ideal spot for to sit also. Does anyone have basic photoshop skills to paint that plug flat black instead of the silver? I'd really like to see how subtle I could make it...

Quote:
I highly recommend using the line-level out on the iPod, rather than earphone out. Otherwise you use two volume controls, which affects the sound.
Does this option charge the iPod at the same time? I don't have one of these cables, where did you purchase yours? If it charges as the same time, I might return my cable to Radio Shack anyways and go for this cable instead.

As of right now, I have the volume on max on my iPod AUX setting on +2 I believe and it still sounds pretty good. Not any distortion like I would expect with the output device being on full volume.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 99' 528i
I have the older e39 tape deck, with the trunk cd changer. In the back of my tape deck is an extra connector.

Could this fit the aux input cable 82110149390?

Can anyone put up a pic of the connector end of the aux cable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back2.JPG
Views:	849
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	179858  
'95 325i RIP
'84 318i RIP
Old 04-02-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigmack1 View Post
I have the older e39 tape deck, with the trunk cd changer. In the back of my tape deck is an extra connector.

Checks this out - maybe it will work for your situation.

http://jcrowell.info/bmw-aux-in.html

EDIT - This is for an E36 so no idea if it will help you out at all. Maybe it will give you some ideas or another route to pursue. As for the plug on the back, the best contact would be with qsilver on this board on bimmerfest.com. He's really good with the audio stuff and answered a lot of questions I had.

Last edited by Muddy4DSM; 04-02-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:57 AM

Muddy4DSM:
Now that you have the correct MID, you can install the BMW Sirius receiver and max out the audio sources like me: Radio, CD Player, CD Changer, AUX and Sirius.

I don't like aux jack in the CD Player area because I would have to flip up the door to access the jack. Here are some images of where I placed my aux jack:

Hope this helps....JL
Old 04-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 99' 528i
Quote:
Checks this out - maybe it will work for your situation.

http://jcrowell.info/bmw-aux-in.html

EDIT - This is for an E36 so no idea if it will help you out at all. Maybe it will give you some ideas or another route to pursue. As for the plug on the back, the best contact would be with qsilver on this board on bimmerfest.com. He's really good with the audio stuff and answered a lot of questions I had.
Thanks for that post, but already tried it from:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...968&highlight=

But now I did find a pic of the BMW aux cable and it sure looks like that cable will fit right into the back of my tape deck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mod26g.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	179865   Click image for larger version

Name:	back2.JPG
Views:	894
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	179866  
'95 325i RIP
'84 318i RIP
Old 04-02-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:

But now I did find a pic of the BMW aux cable and it sure looks like that cable will fit right into the back of my tape deck.
You will have to do some research for compatibility of the tape deck software and the AUX input signal. I had a CD53 that was too old running the "42" software. The AUX plug fit in the back but the MID wouldn't recognize the additional input.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 140K+
This was my original DICE install:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=cn90+dice

I routed BOTH Aux Cable and the Ipod Connector to Glovebox.

Now I changed my mind after seeing this thread and I want to bring BOTH of my Aux Cable and the Ipod Connector to the area in front of the useless CupHolder.
Does anyone know what is behind the Cupholder itself? Is it possible to bring both cables out through this area (circled in Red in the pic).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	e39hvacarea.jpg
Views:	1038
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	179871  
Old 04-02-2009, 02:26 PM

There is nothing behind those useless cupholders. As you can see from my images, I trimmed off half of the right side cupholder and installed my aux jack there. I also routed the power cables for my nuvi GPS and mobile phone through the same opening. The 12V source for those power cables is from the glove box flashlight receptacle. I use that source because it is only energized when the ignition is on. I decided not to remove the cupholders completely to eliminate the need to add a filler plate.

Hope this helps....JL
Old 04-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn90 View Post
This was my original DICE install:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=cn90+dice

I routed BOTH Aux Cable and the Ipod Connector to Glovebox.

Now I changed my mind after seeing this thread and I want to bring BOTH of my Aux Cable and the Ipod Connector to the area in front of the useless CupHolder.
Does anyone know what is behind the Cupholder itself? Is it possible to bring both cables out through this area (circled in Red in the pic).
I dont think it is possible since cup holder is a one piece and just to give a picture in your mind see that as a cube plastic covered from all 6 sides.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Check twice, fix once...

Mein Auto: 540it 533i 318ic 325i
Quote:

Craig, keep us posted on what you find out on your aux configuration and corresponding cable. I believe I have the same setup in my 99 540it

Thanks!

1999 540it - Jet Black/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Zionsville Cooling kit
1984 533i - Schwarz/Schwarz, 17" style 65 reps
1997 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, style 68 rims
1995 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, style 27 rims
1994 325i Sedan - Bostongrau/Tan
1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff
1985 635CSI - Schwartz\Sand - Sold
1984 318i - Champagne/Tan, Stock - Sold

BMWCCA# 160411
Old 04-02-2009, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:

What you have circled in the pic you attached is the cable that communicates with the CD changer. Even if the AUX input cable would fit into that slot...your head unit wouldn't communicate with it because you don't have the software that allows for it to happen. You would get the same thing that the original poster got when he inserted the AUX input cable into his in-dash CD player that had software 42.

Pin out for the older in-dash cassette units and the ROUND PIN CD43 units:

The pic below is the back of my in-dash CD player (its a round pin CD43 for the e39)...the connection on the bottom left is for the CD cable...and if it was possible...the AUX input cable would be inserted on the right side (the empty space next to the CD cable connection).

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 04-02-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
What you have circled in the pic you attached is the cable that communicates with the CD changer. Even if the AUX input cable would fit into that slot...your head unit wouldn't communicate with it because you don't have the software that allows for it to happen. You would get the same thing that the original poster got when he inserted the AUX input cable into his in-dash CD player that had software 42.

Pin out for the older in-dash cassette units and the ROUND PIN CD43 units:

The pic below is the back of my in-dash CD player (its a round pin CD43 for the e39)...the connection on the bottom left is for the CD cable...and if it was possible...the AUX input cable would be inserted on the right side (the empty space next to the CD cable connection).

Thats a great informative post. That pinout information is cool to have.
Has anyone found a thread or post of a good explanation of the Diversity Antenna and how it works? I have been wondering what this is and what is lost if upgrading because newer units do not seem to have this.

Last edited by ItsMe; 04-02-2009 at 06:21 PM.