Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to SpeedyReedy
Mein Auto: Dark Blue 1994 325i E36
My new 325i - Pics

G'day everyone.

First post. I just bought a '94 325i and I thought I would introduce myself. Fell in love with bimmers and this one in particular.

It's got big 19'" mags (i also have the stock ones which i may use instead since i can't afford the $1200AUD for new ones), lowered suspension, a bootlip spolier, tail lights and side lights, angel eyes and eye brows but otherwise is stock. The last owner did all of these things, not sure about the eye-brows yet. The angel eyes arn't working at the moment either.

I absolutely love it. This is my first car, my dad bought me and my little brother an Excel to learn in so you can imagine how stoked I am to have this! It's so luxurious, so fast and so well thought out.

I have a few questions,

1. I have jammed a CD in my 6 Stacker somehow. Was driving it around for the first time and the bastard ate my Beatles CD!! It ejects the magazine alright but refuses to give me back Sgt Peppers and says disc error on the dash! I'm listining to Britney Spears on the radio without it, it's horrible.

Can anyone suggest a good head unit which integrates well with the stock interior, can do CDs and can do iPod integration?

2. There is a strip around my windows that has rusted and peeled off. Whats the best way to approach fixing this?

Heres a picture:

Thanks!!

Last edited by SpeedyReedy; 04-07-2009 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Fiddling with Photos
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 AM
blank

Mein Auto: 07 e92 335i
welcome to the 'fest!

those are some big ass wheels you got there, hope they dont scrub too much

i say lose the eyebrows. ive had them, and will never recommend them again lol

blaupunkt makes a radio that goes well with the interior..and i think there is a clarion that looks good too..but i cant remember exactly off the top of my head

as for the trim, i think a good masking, sanding, then painting would be the most cost effective way to fix it. so long as you dont get anything from the rattle can onto your body

Last edited by E36youngster; 04-07-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:58 AM

So by rattle can you mean spray paint or is there some sort of spray paint special for cars? lol very noob question i know.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
Synth Oil & Vodka.

Mein Auto: 318 Coupe / E46 328i
Welcome to Bimmerfeste...mate,

Looks good, i like the color very much. Rattle can is spray paint. Most new head units now will have the option for ipod integration and some come with USB cables which are better than the ones that come with Aux inputs as USB cables actually charge your ipod. I like the old school/conservative look of a few Alpine head units, but have a mid grade JVC w the ipod USB cable, good luck and welcome to BM ownership.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyReedy View Post
It's got big 19'" mags -
(i also have the stock ones which i may use instead since i can't afford the $1200AUD for new ones), -
lowered suspension, a bootlip spolier, tail lights and side lights, angel eyes and -
eye brows -
but otherwise is stock. The last owner did all of these things, not sure about the eye-brows yet. The angel eyes arn't working at the moment either.

1. I have jammed a CD in my 6 Stacker somehow. Was driving it around for the first time and the bastard ate my Beatles CD!! It ejects the magazine alright but refuses to give me back Sgt Peppers and says disc error on the dash! I'm listining to Britney Spears on the radio without it, it's horrible.

That seriously sucks. I hate CD changers, not really sure on how to fix that. Sorry. You could always see about unscrewing the unit to get the CD out, then throw it away.

Can anyone suggest a good head unit which integrates well with the stock interior, can do CDs and can do iPod integration?
Kenwood makes several units that are black and look good with the car. They've also got a nice UI that makes good sense to use. I'm not exactly a big Kenwood fan but their HU's aren't bad if you're not an audiophile. I did *really* like mine. The one I had in the E36 had Aux In, USB In, and 4 channel RCA outputs with an individually adjustable, separate subwoofer pre-out.

2. There is a strip around my windows that has rusted and peeled off. Whats the best way to approach fixing this?
We actually just had a thread on this. It's called the Drip Rail, and if you search that you'll find the thread with the part number for a new one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36youngster View Post
i say loose the eyebrows. ive had them, and will never recommend them again lol
I say learn the difference between "loose" and "lose," Steven.

blaupunkt -
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM
blank

Mein Auto: 07 e92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
terribly sorry. please excuse my finger for being over excited and pressing the "o" button twice. not to be confused with "orgasm" button, which coincidentally enough will be another feature bombsquad is going to try to install into his car
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM

Thanks very much guys. Sorry, would've searched it if I knew what it was called: i did try. Cheers.

The passenger orgasm sounds like a great idea for a modification. Need to put a big cover over it though because things will get awkward if you lean on it when your best mate is in the car, or your mum, or your grandma, or your dog...
Old 04-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36youngster View Post
terribly sorry. please excuse my finger for being over excited and pressing the "o" button twice. not to be confused with "orgasm" button, which coincidentally enough will be another feature bombsquad is going to try to install into his car

OMFG.
Quote:
Thanks very much guys. Sorry, would've searched it if I knew what it was called: i did try. Cheers.

The passenger orgasm sounds like a great idea for a modification. Need to put a big cover over it though because things will get awkward if you lean on it when your best mate is in the car, or your mum, or your grandma, or your dog...
No problem man. Now you know what to check out.

And this is sounding damn hilarious.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 04-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Send a message via AIM to bimmerbarbie
Mein Auto: 93ish 325ish
Quote:

Wow, you're going to fit in quite well here!

Oh, my CD changer is insane too. It won't even regurgitate the magazine, and couldn't find a small enough screw driver to take it apart. Contemplating smashing it on the concrete to show it who is boss.

Quote:
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Old 04-07-2009, 04:56 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
Wow, you're going to fit in quite well here!

Oh, my CD changer is insane too. It won't even regurgitate the magazine, and couldn't find a small enough screw driver to take it apart. Contemplating smashing it on the concrete to show it who is boss.
Yup, sounds like something you would do.

// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 04-07-2009, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 325 Ci Convertible
My changer was jammed when I bought the car and I was able to take it apart and get the prior owners CDs out. When I put it back together it has worked like a champ...well OK not a champ, but as good as that stock unit probably can...I am also looking for a new unit altogether. So many choices. Enjoy the ride, and the $$ it is going to cost....lol...As we all know too well....
Old 04-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Quote:
Yup, sounds like something you would do.

Well, its broken anyways, won't even light up like its getting power anymore, just to annoy me. I swear it's doing it to get to me. So maybe if I kill the CD changer in front of the car, all the other little evils will realize how mighty and powerful I am and listen when I tell them to obey me from now on.

Quote:
... We all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around...
Old 04-08-2009, 03:10 AM
'97 318is Hellrot

Send a message via Skype™ to N:CR41G
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 318is E36
So you want a CD changer and an iPod connection...

...Why not just use the iPod?

Check this Alpine head unit out... You can put the iPod in the glove box (if you trail the cable) and control the iPod off the head unit... Id say that makes the most sense...

http://www.productreview.com.au/show...?item_id=46850

No more messing around with CDs and changers!!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:40 AM

I'm thinking we make a mass smashing of these CD changers. Drop them all off a cliff somewhere or something.

Speaking of mass, any clubs etc in brisbane area?

@ CR41G, I don't want a CD changer but I do NEED a CD player. A good mate of mine has a rex with that exact head unit, it's quite nice but the lack of a CD player annoys me. While 90% of the time it's appropriate, what people often don't realise is that iPods severaly damage the quality of sound. Us soung engineering students are big advocates of CDs and uncompressed sound.

Okay, was getting nerdy.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Called BMW and got quoted $110 AUD for each drip-rail. Anyone know how hard it is to install, not sure i want to pay BMW ****loads to put it on?

I'm rapidly running out of money with the need to pay for insurance soon so the head-unit may have to wait. The one i liked was the current flagship single din kenwood. It has just the right colour, a simple desgin (I'd almost be tempted to remove all the lettering on the front and just put BMW somewhere so it looks extra stock) and it does CDs, iPod and Bluetooth as well. All at 450 AUD **** yeah?

One more question, where is a good place to get the adaptors for the back of the head-units? All the places i went to today said they don't do BMW adaptors - fail.

Sgt Peppers is still stuck
Old 04-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by N:CR41G View Post
Check this Alpine head unit out... You can put the iPod in the glove box (if you trail the cable) and control the iPod off the head unit... Id say that makes the most sense...

I know you are looking for a cd player, but i just have to throw in my 2 cents worth.

I was looking at buying this head unit online. Although the best sound quality is nice, cd's do tend to get destroyed by (pick one or more of the following) constant changing of the cd, being shuffled around in the back seat, being sat on, getting shoved/dropped down between the seats. So i decided that mp3 is the way to get for car audio. The alpine (and most others) have a rear usb port, so i am thinking i will route the usb wire to one of the unused switch covers in front of the shifter. (that way if i screw up the install, i just have to replace a switch cover)

I decided that i should head down to my local best buy before i bought one from crutchfield.com and I am glad I did. That nice knob in the middle of the faceplate sticks out about 1/2-3/4 of an inch, and I really didn't like the feel of it.

So i am still looking around for a head unit. Maybe one that matches the interior of my 325is a bit better than the Alpine.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36 318 IS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by N:CR41G View Post
So you want a CD changer and an iPod connection...

...Why not just use the iPod?

No more messing around with CDs and changers!!
I have head unit, well i have the X002, wish i had that one tho.
Its a really awsome headunit IMO
and with the X001 you can plug a USB CD changer into it - perfect.
Oh and nice BM BTW, get rid of those eyebrows tho, i did, best decision i ever made.
Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmy_bimmer View Post
You'll come up with something, you're Joe for Gods sake

MEMBER OF THE MOST EXCLUSIVE SECRET CLUB ON THE 'FEST
Old 04-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

I really like Kenwood HUs, and I'm the same way Speedy, like being able to use CDs as well as my iPod. Being limited to one just sucks. I'd say go for the Kenwood.

Regarding the drip rails, I think quite a few of us are about to tackle that issue. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=358106 Check post #14, he discusses the prices he found. Ignore (or laugh at) the OT parts of that one... Hopefully Usama will go ahead and change his drip rails then let us know just how much of a PITA it was.

Your best bet for good prices for parts is going to be online, not the dealership (usually).

Quote:
Old 04-08-2009, 01:28 PM
I Am The Machine

Speedy, some of my requirements were that it had to have a CD, and also that it had to have a front slot for it - NOT a motorized faceplate. More stuff to break. I doubt they still make this model, but you might be able to find one in the same model line. Really, it had everything I was looking for.

Photobucket
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 04-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

Ew Chad that's ugly.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2009, 01:33 PM
I Am The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarbie View Post
Ew Chad that's ugly.
Hush up. Had every feature I wanted, and it wasn't silver or red or other strange colors.

I liked it.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 04-08-2009, 01:36 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

..... the display was purple! Sheesh, you should know by now.... I don't ever hush up. Duh!

Kenwood all the way.

Quote:
Old 04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
IM DA BES

Mein Auto: A rental
Quote:
G'day everyone.

First post. I just bought a '94 325i and I thought I would introduce myself. Fell in love with bimmers and this one in particular.

It's got big 19'" mags (i also have the stock ones which i may use instead since i can't afford the $1200AUD for new ones), lowered suspension, a bootlip spolier, tail lights and side lights, angel eyes and eye brows but otherwise is stock. The last owner did all of these things, not sure about the eye-brows yet. The angel eyes arn't working at the moment either.

I absolutely love it. This is my first car, my dad bought me and my little brother an Excel to learn in so you can imagine how stoked I am to have this! It's so luxurious, so fast and so well thought out.

I have a few questions,

Heres a picture:

Thanks!!
DAMN!!!!!!! Is that Techno Violet? Thats ONE of my favorite colors on the E36. Looks good and yes Id go with Kenwood or Pioneer as a HU.

And Amber is right, you would fit in quite nicely in this group .

"The American Dream only makes sense if you're sleeping" - Lowkey
Old 04-08-2009, 04:51 PM

I've been on a few forums in my time and never got this kinda response. Good on you guys.

The colour is some wierd name blue (melicialsisjadka.... blue), i'll look it up for you. It does look like sex. Still decided if i like the rims or not.

Do you guys still have stock exhaust systems, cause supposedly mine does but it sounds like a BEAST!!

I'll be a little more diplomatic then barbie but I was just lookin for something that suited the car better. If you will excuse my poor photoshoping skills...

This is the HU i was talking about.

Link to Kenwood: http://au.kenwood.com/Car_Entertainm...s/KDC-XBT8013U

And this is what i'd imagine it would look like inside the Bimmer. (copied your pic phatom cause your interior is otherwise identical to mine)

Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I Am The Machine

Lol - we don't really care about diplomacy here. If you think my HU looked bad too, feel free to say it. Not to mention, we all kinda just ignore Amber (barbie) anyway. She's sort of our attitude and eye candy here, that's why we keep her around.

(Love ya honey. Don't smack me. )

But yeah, that looks good. I personally hate not having a slot on the front (and Kenwood didn't make any with red displays when I bought mine) so it wouldn't be for me, but get what you want. Nice Pshop, too. Looks like a great unit feature wise.

Color is probably Mauritusblau.
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //

Quote:
You're a derbanana
Old 04-08-2009, 05:15 PM
Official Queen of E36 OT

He's my fav noob, Usama. Officially.

And I really REALLY like that HU, I might have to get that one too honestly. I've been still wanting my double din to fit, but its looking like a no-go (yeah, it took me months of hearing that to finally admit defeat...) and still can't stand flip-outs. IDK maybe not, since I really want a screen. But if I go single din, I'm getting that one too.

"Just our attitude and eye candy"?! Alrighty then mister, see if you get to help pick my new avatar then! And *might* even be a Hooters shirt! Punk ass.

I am too diplomatic, just not when it comes to Chadwick, since he knows I'm not just sugar and sweetness so don't have to be nice. Playing nice is boring anyway.

My exhaust is M3, and it's pretty quiet IMO, but then again I'm used to hearing modded domestics and imports, so... But it does sound freaking awesome.

Quote: