Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 335d M Sport,X3 3.0 Sport
High beam assist

Hi all.

I recently collected my 07 335d coupe. It is loaded with options and extras and it is a dream to drive - I absolutely love it!

One of the options is high beam assist. But I cannot get it to work and (assuming it is not broken and it is my inability to work it out) I would really appreciate an idiot's guide.

My "symptoms" are:
  1. High beam assist is set to "on" in the iDrive menu
  2. With the selector in position 3 (i.e. the auto setting), when I push the light stalk away, nothing happens (i.e. the main beam does not come on, even in a totally dark environment, and I do not get the HB assist "A" symbol on the display)
  3. But, if I push the stalk away a second time, the main beam comes on, which I think is as a result of me overriding the HB assist, so it appears that the car does think HB assist is activated (and that I am overriding it)
  4. If I deslect HB assist in iDrive, I can turn the main beam on/off manually with a single push/pull (i.e. as if I did not have HB assist at all)

My only thought is that when I selected HB assist and then activated it by pushing the stalk away once, I just haven't given it a chance to work, i.e. it wasn't quite dark enough. (I assume the main beam automatically switches itself on/off depending on ambient light and/or whether the sensor detects any oncoming traffic). I will go for a drive tonight to experiment further but any tips in the meantime would be useful!

Thanks in advance!

Matt
Ads by Google
Old 04-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
My understanding is that there are a lot of factors that come into play for the High Beam Assistant.

You should not have to push the headlamp stalk away to activate the Automatic highbeams. It will come on automatically if the ambient lighting conditions warrant the high beam, usually at a higher speed with no other light source nearby except your headlamps. If you're trying this in a dark parking light, it may not work, since you really only need high beams on a winding, country road. I'm not sure what your surroundings are like, so its hard to tell whether its functioning normally or it has a problem.

As a FYI, the sensor is located in the rearview mirror under the rain sensor. And you're unlikely to get a lot of responses on this US-based board, since the option is not available on the 3er here.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks for your response...

I think you may be right that I have not yet been in the right circumstances for it to activate/work properly. I will try again tomorrow night.

Is the "A" symbol supposed to appear in the display when the system is active, or only when the main beam is on? (I do not have the "A" symbol showing at all.)

So the checklist as follows?
  1. Activate HB assist in iDrive
  2. Turn light selector to position 3 ("automatic")
  3. Push light stalk away once. (It says to do this in the manual, but you say to do nothing! I will try both)
  4. Drive in a fully dark environment at a reasonable speed - and see what happens...

Matt
Old 04-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Yeah, do what the owner's manual says regarding the headlamp stalk........I'm guessing here since it's not a feature in the US.

If I remember correctly, the High Beam "A" symbol only illuminates when the high beams are on.
Old 04-21-2009, 03:51 PM

Resolved !!!

It works (just like it says in the manual). And it is frickin' EXCELLENT!

Steps:
  1. Activate High beam Assist in the "Lights" menu in iDrive
  2. Turn the light selector to position 3 ("Automatic")
  3. Push the lever away once - the "A" symbol appears in the dash display (which I missed the first time I was trying this out)
  4. The main beam will come on when the road ahead is completely dark AND when you are driving over around 30mph (and will of course turn off when any cars are ahead, in either direction) - so when you initially turn the selector to position 3 and push the stalk away, the main beam may well not come on at that time if the ambient conditions are too light
  5. To override HB Assist, push or pull the light stalk as appropriate. To reactivate, push forward again when the main beam is off.

It works brilliantly - the main beam is turned off exactly when you would think about doing so yourself, and comes on again with perfect timing.

One minor, small niggle is that the main beam only comes on (so it seems) over a certain speed. I live down a twisty-turny, hilly country lane and I want the main beam on even though I am driving under 30mph. But I can just use main beam manually for that short part of the journey.

Thanks for your help. I hope this summary helps anyone else trying to learn how to activate and use HB Assist.

MC

Last edited by Maughan67; 04-21-2009 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Glad to hear it worked out for ya. I'd love to have this option since I live and drive in very rural areas with few lit roads. Even the main motorway does not have lighting at the exits. There no time where BMW suspension is better appreciated when an off-ramp is suddenly much, much more curved than you'd ever anticipate.

Who knows. Maybe one day I will win the lottery and retrofit all the European features I want.