Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 99 Maxima GLE
2 car garages and door dings

I've always been a 1 car-at-a-time owner, but since my trusty Maxima is still running great, and the value I would get out of selling it is low I decided to keep it. I can use it for those snowy days and not have to worry about changing tires, as well as hauling stuff.

I do want to garage both cars to keep them looking nice. I have a really tight 2-car garage (townhouse) and realized that I'm going to be my own worst enemy when it comes to door dings. It's bad enough to pick one up in the parking lot, but doing it to yourself is twice as bad.

I'm still in the process of rearranging the garage to fit both cars, but my door margin is going to be pretty small. I was looking for some protectors and found this. It is basically a raft hanging from the ceiling, and for $80 a bit pricey. During the winter I'm probably going to get a car cover with ding protection but this might work for now.

http://www.doorpal.com/

I'd be curious to see what others are using for their garages.
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2009, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 335iC ED 14-Oct-08
If you pick up some padded movers blankets and use some rope, you can probably make that device yourself. You can probably find and old love seat at a tag sale and keep the seat cusion and throw out the rest and also use that.

For my garage, I have put pillow foam stapled to garage wall where the door touches just in case in a moment of being brain dead I open the door too far.

Short of being careful, not much you can do.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:22 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I've got a foam block on the back wall just behind an indicator flag. When I pull up, I can see when to stop. If I space out, I could bump the wall at low speed with no damage to the bumper.

I also glued a 2" thick piece of foam, about 4" wide and about 3' long along the garage wall at the passenger side. If somebody accidentally lets go of the door handle, it should cause no damage.

What you've found strikes me as better looking than rigging something up for yourself, but if you wanted to save some bucks, you could easily manage on your own. You could even find an inflatable pool mattress that would work almost exactly the same.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 04-21-2009, 01:55 PM

Yeah, I figured I could "roll my own" version of this, but this looks like it comes apart easily. My only qulam is the thing rubbing against you getting in/out of the cars.

I just ordered the thing. I'll take pictures when its installed.

Last edited by fasttimes; 04-21-2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:20 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Hmmm.. in the old place we had a tennis ball hung from the ceiling that would tap the windshield at the appropriate spot to advance. Do you mean front to back tight or side-side tight? I guess the Doorpal looks like a reasonable option for side/side tight. I am very careful, and also just make a point of opening the door for the missus. It is chivalrous, and protects the door.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: '08 328 E93 '12 X3 28i
I made one of those years ago using an air mattress. Installed some grommets in the overlapping material on the sides and hung it from the ceiling.
Should have patented the idea. lol.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
If you are the only one getting in and out of the cars while in the garage you could pull one in forward and the other in backwards then your driver side doors open against the walls of the garage and not against the other car. It is pretty easy to pad the walls.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Team_Ram-Rod

Mein Auto: 2006 330XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
Hmmm.. in the old place we had a tennis ball hung from the ceiling that would tap the windshield at the appropriate spot to advance. Do you mean front to back tight or side-side tight? I guess the Doorpal looks like a reasonable option for side/side tight. I am very careful, and also just make a point of opening the door for the missus. It is chivalrous, and protects the door.
Instead of using the hanging tennis ball I parked my car so that there is two inches between the back bump and the closed garage door and marked that spot with chalk. Move the car out. Then I got about three or four of the paint stirers from the local hardware store and duck take them to the floor. They survived my old car for 6 years. Just redid it for the BMW. Much more ascetically pleasing then the tennis ball.

As far as his hanging blanket idea I would definatly install some of those foam sidings on the wall like one poster mention becuase that is painless.

I woudl not have to have that hanging pool toy ro whatever it is constantly in the aisle of my garage. At that point I think I would just suck it up [I]or[I] attach something to the Maxima that sould protect dings since you do not drive it as much.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 09 M3 Sedan
One of the private parking lots (VSP Parking) at Burbank Airport uses something similar to that. I think it's a great idea because it's a nice, easy solution. Or, like others said, you can make your own.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Well, I dinged my car this winter with my snowbrush as I was going down during a fall on the snow over the ice in my parking spot, so it can happen even when there's no good reason.
I have two thoughts- why keep a car you don't need? You can ditch the Maxima and save on insurance and door ding repairs.
But, if you're not buying my 'ditch it' advice, maybe you could buy or make a magnetic foam thing to transfer to whatever car you're not using to protect it from dings. Probably cheaper and less bulky than that crazy padded curtain thing.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:02 AM

My folks are "snowbirds" who winter in Florida, and they leave only one car up here. I figure they can use it during the summer. I'm also lazy, so the "wall" thing will protect me in my lazy moments.

I'll get some pics after I get the thing up.