Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-19-2009, 09:14 PM
In the driver's seat

Mein Auto: 2008 e92 M3
Drove the new 335d today...

Was not as good as I'd hoped, not as bad as I thought it might be. Granted, the car was a stripper and didn't have the sport package, but it really didn't wow me. Pulling through a yielded right turn left me with the same turbo lag feel and it didn't rip through the corner as expected. The noise wasn't bad but clankier (slightly) and not as good as the petrol's rumble.

The idea of getting 40+ mpg in a new BMW was exciting but based on test driving the stripper I won't be shipping off for Germany to pick up a loaded one anytime soon.

It was funny seeing projected annual fuel cost based on "$4.50 per gallon" on the sticker

Ah, 2008
Advertisement
Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Officially a BMW Homer.

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Don't laugh too hard BCR.. $4 a gallon will peak it's ugly head again one day. Hopefully later than sooner.

335i JB3 6MT: Goes from 0-60 in the time it took you to read this.
SSTT turbo chip for sale in the Classifieds
Old 04-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoDotCom View Post
Don't laugh too hard BCR.. $4 a gallon will peak it's ugly head again one day. Hopefully later than sooner.
+1 its just a matter of time, when the economy starts revving up again so should gas prices bet on it!

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008
Old 04-20-2009, 06:08 AM
MT4LIFE

Mein Auto: E92-M3, E90-335
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR View Post
Was not as good as I'd hoped, not as bad as I thought it might be. Granted, the car was a stripper and didn't have the sport package, but it really didn't wow me. Pulling through a yielded right turn left me with the same turbo lag feel and it didn't rip through the corner as expected. The noise wasn't bad but clankier (slightly) and not as good as the petrol's rumble.

The idea of getting 40+ mpg in a new BMW was exciting but based on test driving the stripper I won't be shipping off for Germany to pick up a loaded one anytime soon.

It was funny seeing projected annual fuel cost based on "$4.50 per gallon" on the sticker

Ah, 2008

I gotta go test drive one of those. So, you couldn't feel the 400+ torque?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0 si
wierd, i drove one 3 weeks ago and was very impressed. most impressive car i have driven in quite a while.

after driving the 335d, i drove the 335icoupe and i actually preferred the diesel. the engine was very smooth, no turbo lag and the torque was amazing.
much smoother than the 335i coupe and you can actually put stuff in the backseat. after previously owning an audi a4 turbo, this new bimmer blew rings around it. pun.

i was shocked at how quite the engine was. even though the 335d was at a hp disadvantage compared to the 335i, it didnt seem so. it seemed like the car was quicker.

very good car. now if they would drop the price a bit i will trade in my z4 and get one.

Silver/Black
Premium/Sport/Auto/Xenon/Bluetooth/Heated Seats
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Ich liebe mein BMW

Mein Auto: 08 E90
I have been wanting to drive one.. my local dealer doesn't have any when I go.
-2002 M5 LeMans Blue on Black. Rear Sunshade, M-Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon, PDC
-2004 M3 Convertible. Silver Grey on Grey. SMG, Nav, HK Sound, Heated Seats, Xenon
-2007 335i Jet Black, Terra Leather, Premium, Sport, Step, Paddle, Nav, Comfort Access
-2006 525i Black Sapphire Metallic with Beige, Manual, Nav, HUD, PDC, Xenon
-2002 325i Orient Blue Metallic, Beige interior, Manual, Sunroof
Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 AM

Mein Auto: 09 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by el indiano View Post
after previously owning an audi a4 turbo, this new bimmer blew rings around it. pun.
I'm one of those dorky people that enjoy a good pun...
Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM
In the driver's seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
I gotta go test drive one of those. So, you couldn't feel the 400+ torque?
Not on my brief test drive, I actually enjoyed driving an 06 330i MT more the same day. I wouldn't mind test driving one again on a more exciting route but I don't know of any others in New England, let alone the Boston area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el indiano View Post
wierd, i drove one 3 weeks ago and was very impressed. most impressive car i have driven in quite a while.

after driving the 335d, i drove the 335icoupe and i actually preferred the diesel. the engine was very smooth, no turbo lag and the torque was amazing.
much smoother than the 335i coupe and you can actually put stuff in the backseat. after previously owning an audi a4 turbo, this new bimmer blew rings around it. pun.

i was shocked at how quite the engine was. even though the 335d was at a hp disadvantage compared to the 335i, it didnt seem so. it seemed like the car was quicker.

very good car. now if they would drop the price a bit i will trade in my z4 and get one.
Was the one you drove loaded with the sport package? The one I tested was one of the promo base models (with the big white decal on the side).

Also, is it possible this particular car needs to have the wastegate service bulletin? I'd assume all '09s would be up to date but being a promo model it may be a few months old.

I've never driven a raunchy diesel so I don't have much perspective. It wasn't the level of noise so much as the quality if it. Just seemed to have a slight rattling element in the soundscape.

I'm still very impressed with what BMW's done, I've watched all of the review videos and it's an amazing car. I'd just recommend that anyone planning an ED trip for one test drive one stateside first

I noticed a nice black on black 335d sport at Murray Motor Imports in Denver if anyone's out in that area.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Combat Commuter

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCR View Post
Not on my brief test drive, I actually enjoyed driving an 06 330i MT more the same day. I wouldn't mind test driving one again on a more exciting route but I don't know of any others in New England, let alone the Boston area.

Was the one you drove loaded with the sport package? The one I tested was one of the promo base models (with the big white decal on the side).

Also, is it possible this particular car needs to have the wastegate service bulletin? I'd assume all '09s would be up to date but being a promo model it may be a few months old.

I've never driven a raunchy diesel so I don't have much perspective. It wasn't the level of noise so much as the quality if it. Just seemed to have a slight rattling element in the soundscape.

I'm still very impressed with what BMW's done, I've watched all of the review videos and it's an amazing car. I'd just recommend that anyone planning an ED trip for one test drive one stateside first

I noticed a nice black on black 335d sport at Murray Motor Imports in Denver if anyone's out in that area.
I drove a similar demo. Only with the radio off, A/C off, and duct tape briefly over the salesperson mouth, could I hear a diesel rattle upon accelerating from a stop. Torque? Oh yes, it was used fully on the freeway entrance ramp. Coupled with some basic 50-70 passing tests. Surprising, the wife wanted to test drive this car - rarely is she interested. The 335d received the wife's seal of approval. As a combat commuter, this car should be formidable.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
'Still not available with a stick though, right?

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 04-20-2009, 06:31 PM
MT4LIFE

Mein Auto: E92-M3, E90-335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
Oh that's right, I forgot, never mind
Old 04-21-2009, 03:40 PM
In the driver's seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcube View Post
I drove a similar demo. Only with the radio off, A/C off, and duct tape briefly over the salesperson mouth, could I hear a diesel rattle upon accelerating from a stop. Torque? Oh yes, it was used fully on the freeway entrance ramp. Coupled with some basic 50-70 passing tests. Surprising, the wife wanted to test drive this car - rarely is she interested. The 335d received the wife's seal of approval. As a combat commuter, this car should be formidable.
"combat commuter"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
correct, not even in europe (too much torque for the MT)
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 AM
diesel evangelist

Mein Auto: Camry hybrid + MB e300D-T
I'm pretty sure that the sport package has nothing to do with performance, except for the higher governor limit (150 mph instead of 130). i don't see how it would make a diff on acceleration.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
ZSP in the other models gives sport springs (slightly lowered) and staggered rubber on 18" rims along with incresed speed limiter. Oh, and the excellent sport seats and wheel.

Better handling - same acceleration.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to dakarm
Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe, 08 MCS JCW S1
i test drove one on a hot day with 4 people (5 including the driver) and with the AC on. the car was the stripped model that nearly all dealers got to use as the demo vehicle. handling was not bad at all, even without sports package. the performance was fantastic imo. the car had about 2500miles on it and even with full compliments of passengers it pulled like a mofo. going full throttle from about 15mph and merging on to the freeway the engine surprised me very much with the amount of torque it had.

to the OP did you have the transmission in sport mode or standard D? I did notice that the car didn't feel as snappy with the transmission in D.
'12 X5d
'12 MINI Countryman S
Old 04-22-2009, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe, 323i
According to R&T, 0-60 is 5.3 sec , 25.5 mpg, 265 hp, 425 lb-ft and it is a turbo diesel. I think BMW diesels are here to stay and will continue to improve. BMW uses the sequential
turbochargers a very small one in conjunction with a larger one pretty nifty if you ask me.

2012, 650i Coupe, Carbon Black, Black Nappa leather, M Sport , CWP,DAP, IAS, 20" Wheels,
BMWCCA Member since 07/2008

Last edited by Elias; 04-22-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
SUPPORTING VENDOR

Mein Auto: 07' E90 and 95' E36 M3x2
wow very interesting, makes me want to go test drive one yesterday.