Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-22-2009, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Sedan (AT)
Speaking of Street names on 2008 I-Drive

When we picked up our 2008 335i w/I-drive in October, the nav system did not say the names of the streets. After getting the latest Progman update to fix the "turbo-lag" issue (my car was a 1/2008 build), the nav system was speaking the upcoming street names (not just "turn left in a quarter of a mile") for exactly one day, then it somehow shut off. Is there a menu control or something that enables the speaking of the exact street names? Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Mine only says names of interstates. For named streets, it just says "turn left in a quarter of a mile." Then again, mine is an 06, so we might not be comparing apples to apples.

I do have another related question... I prefer the 3D view. But I hardly ever use this view on the iDrive because it doesn't display the street names. Is this normal? How to I display the street names in the 3D view?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Officially a BMW Homer.

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
Mine only says names of interstates. For named streets, it just says "turn left in a quarter of a mile." Then again, mine is an 06, so we might not be comparing apples to apples.

I do have another related question... I prefer the 3D view. But I hardly ever use this view on the iDrive because it doesn't display the street names. Is this normal? How to I display the street names in the 3D view?
you're right on with both your points. I have an 08 iDrive and it also only announces interstates such as 'in 300ft, exit on to I95'. That is as much as the idrive lady will say as she does not announce street names.

I also like the 3-D view. It looks the prettiest with those lil clouds & the sky backround. However as you pointed out, this view will not display street names even if zoomed in. The most you'll get is major interstate icons.

I would pay $2000 if I could only upgrade to an 09 iDrive. My Navi is the absolute worst feature on my car. I still can't understand how some people actually like this unit.

335i JB3 6MT: Goes from 0-60 in the time it took you to read this.
SSTT turbo chip for sale in the Classifieds
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinoDotCom View Post
My Navi is the absolute worst feature on my car. I still can't understand how some people actually like this unit.
Agree. My old $200 Garmin blew it away. Ease of use, features, display, you name it.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
I think the nav in my Infiniti was a little better although talked way too much. I'm not thrilled with the routing of my BMW nav. I'm looking forward to the 09 I'll be getting in 15 days! I'm looking forward to a lot of improvements. I wish it had the name of the upcoming street maybe on the top of the screen and the street you're currently on somewhere maybe at the bottom. Those would both be useful additions that I've seen on other units.

Last edited by Snareman; 04-22-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan
The system in my 05 Acura was still superior to this '09 system. Can't believe it doesn't tell you the name of the street you are currently on. And it doesn't give you exit numbers or street names of exits either. Just how many feet before you should turn.
'09 335i 6MT Sedan: AW / Saddle / Alum / Nav / Premium / Sport / CA / Sirius / 35% / Black Kidneys / HPFP #3
Old 04-22-2009, 06:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieB View Post
Can't believe it doesn't tell you the name of the street you are currently on.

If you put "current location" (or something like that) on the right side window it tells you the street you are on.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:36 PM
SUPPORTING VENDOR

Mein Auto: 07' E90 and 95' E36 M3x2
yeah BMW's NAV is not it's strongest point.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieB View Post
The system in my 05 Acura was still superior to this '09 system. Can't believe it doesn't tell you the name of the street you are currently on. And it doesn't give you exit numbers or street names of exits either. Just how many feet before you should turn.
I had a 2004 Acura TSX. It didn't have Text to speech either (the feature the OP is discussing).

To get this information, just select "arrow" in the small window. That pops up an arrow, telling you the exact name of the street you have to turn on.

And, the BMW system does give you the specific exit numbers. In fact, it pops up a niffty 3D picture of the exit with a reproduction of the sign.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineSail17 View Post
If you put "current location" (or something like that) on the right side window it tells you the street you are on.
That's a little too cumbersome for me though. I want it to be at the bottom of the map. Or at least on the map.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I had a 2004 Acura TSX. It didn't have Text to speech either (the feature the OP is discussing).

To get this information, just select "arrow" in the small window. That pops up an arrow, telling you the exact name of the street you have to turn on.

And, the BMW system does give you the specific exit numbers. In fact, it pops up a niffty 3D picture of the exit with a reproduction of the sign.
Oh? Have to try that. I always have entertainment info in the right window.
'09 335i 6MT Sedan: AW / Saddle / Alum / Nav / Premium / Sport / CA / Sirius / 35% / Black Kidneys / HPFP #3