Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Old 04-05-2009, 12:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1986 bmw 535i
Unhappy 86 535i Clutch Popped, Now Car Won't Start and Clutch Won't Engage

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me figure out what happened. 86 535i

For about the last two weeks my clutch pedal has felt kinda sloppy like it needs to be bled. The return of the clutch has been strange. With foot off pedal it slowly comes up sometimes and and other times comes up really freely. A couple of times in the morning while shifting I've gotten some strange gear whine type of noise (weeks prior to this when it was really cold).

Yesterday my car was parked and in the morning I could not get it to start. Starter runs but no engine turning over. Finally started, just assumed it was flooded (I did push it up my driveway about ten feet).

Today it didn't want to start but did with some gas. Got about a half mile and after shifting into third and putting on the gas something popped. Kinda felt it in the shifter. Couldn't engage clutch after this. Just nothing there. Rolled to stop and parked.

Now I can't get the car to start again.

Towed it home. Hoping someone knows what it is.

Someone on the mye28 website said this "it's really hard to tell, but you might have fragged the pressure plate fingers and taken out the tab on the flywheel, or one of the sensors. Pull the aluminum cover for the flywheel/clutch, the one with the funky external torx bolts if it's original, and see if any parts drop out. I had an E24 with a bad throw out bearing that finally trashed the fingers on the pressure plate one time, it rendered the clutch pedal useless, but the car still ran, but it was apparent the flywheel sensors had seen some contact along the way. Manual cars don't usually have problems with the flywheel tab, but if there's metal pieces rattling around in there, who knows."

Has newer master and slave, and pedal bracket has been really welded back together. Gonna try to check CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) - Also read this post on this forum about "2 sensors installed on the bellhousing and their plugs are at the end of the cylinder head in a metal bracket. One of them reads the flywheel teeth and the other one reads a locating pin on the flywheel. If the signal from the pin is missing the car won't start. There is a testing proceudre in bentley's manual using a VOM (there have been known ocurrences of this pin falling from the flywheel!)"

Probably going to take it to a BMW repair shop. Just seems like the clutch has a problem. Hoping to have an idea what it could be or what I can look into before taking it in. Seems strange that these two things must be related (not starting, and clutch not engaging)

Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2009, 04:29 PM

starts and shifts!

found a vacuum hose that had a crack in it. started and shifts again. i'm guessing the vacuum leak wouldn't allow the car to start and has something to do with the ignition timing??? or sensors?

had a bmw repair guy drive it and he said the clutch feels funny + to bleed hydraulic fluid (from bottom up?). probably has air bubbles. funny stuff happens.

gonna bleed everything i can think of. slave and brakes.

any suggestions?
Old 04-11-2009, 07:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Make sure that brake fluid reservoir is full. In mye28 they suggested a way of bleeding that I have used with excellent results. REmove the slave from the tranny and while pointing the hose up, push the rod inside and let it come out. Repeat about 10 times and re-install. What this does is force any air bubble back up to the fluid tank and it works!
Good Luck!
Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 AM

Won't start again!

Hi,

That sounds great! The slave cylinder thing.

My car won't start again. I'm not getting any spark from the spark plugs. Battery is strong. So I'm going to try testing some stuff with an ohmeter (coil, coil wire, speed and reference sensor) and maybe replace the main relay and fuel pump relay fuses.

I tried with a cheapo ohmeter the other day.

The speed and reference sensor numbers were very different from each other so I'm slightly considering one of these went bad - but I need to check them with an ohmeter that goes past 1K I think. The numbers just weren't making sense for some of the other readings in the repair book.

I pulled them out from the bellhousing under the car and they look O.K. (not broken, beat up, etc.)

I saw someone say you can open up the inspection plate on the transmission or bellhousing or something and peak in there to see the the sensor pin inside has gotten wasted. I will probably try that if nothing else seems to work out.

I'm going to bleed the system regardless. That brake reservoir is no fun, especially if you make a sharp u-turn... I've had the clutch stuck the the floor after that kinda driving...

Any idea what might cause it to pop out of gear and not re-engage in any gear? It's like the pressure plate was stuck or something kinda feeling.

I'll repost with updates. Thanks for any insight.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 PM

oh geez. ohmeter results.

reference and speed sensor results

numbers are supposed to be
960+-96 ohms
100,000 ohms minimum
100,000 ohms minimum

with (digital) ohmeter set to 2000K

I'm getting (reference sensor)

and (speed sensor)

i am totally confused by what these numbers mean.

checked coil and it seems fine.

thanks for any help.

best.
andy
Old 04-14-2009, 09:32 AM

Have you replaced the main and fuel pump relays? These are considered "maintenance items" on cars this "young"! They are cheap insurance!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:10 PM

dang it

i went to the store to test one of their sensors and i have been testing the wrong end of the terminal where it connects. in the bentley book the drawing looks more like the top of the connector where they meet. never looked where the wires ended up because i wasn't looking for that.

retested it.

i'm getting .952 and .929 at 2K which sounds a lot like the 960+-96 ohms.

i did get a replacement fuse for fuel pump relay... and a main relay at the junk yard. they are $59 brand new for a fuse. yikes. maybe not the best route to go though...

any ideas? thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:41 AM

I don't know where you get your parts but I paid $12.60 for fuel pump relay and $5.60 for main relay. Either check AutohausAZ or go to mye28.com and search for vendors in the FS/WTB parts area. You only use known GOOD pieces for electrical parts!
Old 04-15-2009, 03:26 PM

new battery

cool. i will try those places.

yesterday my battery seemed kinda dead. was't sure if it was from trying to start the car a bunch of times. but charged it for 5+ hours and it still seemed kinda dead.

got a new one and it starts right up.

think maybe my battery was dead. i saw someone post about a collapsed cell in their battery. they said it had enough juice for accessories like lights, etc. but not enought to turn engine over.

we'll see. it seems to work for now.

not sure about clutch popping out. gonna work on that next.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:13 PM

Ah ha. Think it's fixed!

i finally got a main relay in the mail. and the car starts right up.

we'll see what happens. but i'm hoping that was it.