Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-05-2009, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Jet Black 335i Coupe
Las Vegas or Bust

I'll be leaving Tampa bound for Vegas in about two weeks to deal at the World Series of Poker. I'm looking forward to some major seat time in my 335i coupe as I drive the 2400 or so miles across the country. Just wish the roads had no speed limit as I found on the Autobahn last year when I took delivery in Munich. Along those lines...

Does anyone have a recommendation on the best interstate road to take to burn up miles as fast as possible? Google Maps show routes along I-10, I-20 or I-40 with the I-20 route about 100 miles shorter. Is one route more interesting or scenic to take? One route with better roads (hate those expansion joints!)? Years ago I took I-10 out and I just remember a very boring road that took forever to cross Texas. I'm kind of leaning toward the shortest route as I would have to average 10 miles an hour faster for 10 straight hours to kill the extra 100 miles. I guess that might be possible through Texas (85-90 mph?) but I'm sure I would burn a bit more gas doing that.

Anyway, I would appreciate any input from those that have some local knowledge or past experience with those interstates.

Thanks.
6/24/08 Under sail
7/05/08 Discharged at port in U.S.A.
8/07/08 PCD
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
You sure it's safe to take a 335i to Vegas?

I mean it sounds like it's not even safe to take a 325i to Vegas.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=307493
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the hack View Post
you sure it's safe to take a 335i to vegas?

I mean it sounds like it's not even safe to take a 325i to vegas.
6/24/08 Under sail
8/07/08 PCD
Old 05-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I Know Nothing

Mein Auto: '10 E92 335i
To quote the late, great Paul Harvey, "For what it's worth"..... Back in 1999 I took a 2 month solo road trip across the US covering over 12,000 miles and one of the Interstates I hit was I-40. From what I remember (It's been 10 years!) is that it was straight and fast, although I wasn't solely concerned about speed and most definitely was not driving a 335i. I remember plentiful rest stops and wide open spaces. (Side note: ANY road takes forever to cross Texas - even the panhandle, although I-40 skips more of Texas than the other two you're considering, but then you already know that.)

The great thing about I-40 is that it's a bit further north than the others and takes you right through Albuquerque, NM (Which I thought was a great city) and Flagstaff, AZ (Which is so close to the Grand Canyon that it would be a sin to skip if you haven't been. Seriously, I though it would be kind of hokey, but it turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip.)

Anyways, hope that helps a bit. If you do take that route on my suggestion and I ever sit down at one of your tables and get dealt 2-7 off-suit I'll know you didn't care for it much. Good luck!

2010 E92 335i
2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2007 E93 328i (Sold)
2002 Ford Focus SVT (Sold)
2001 Ford SVT Lightning (Sold)
1983 BMX (Totaled... Twice)
Old 05-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight_Schrute View Post
The great thing about I-40 is that it's a bit further north than the others and takes you right through Albuquerque, NM (Which I thought was a great city) and Flagstaff, AZ (Which is so close to the Grand Canyon that it would be a sin to skip if you haven't been. Seriously, I though it would be kind of hokey, but it turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip.)
+1 on I-40. You can stop at The Big Texan in Amarillo and try to eat the 72oz steak ala Great Oudoors with John Candy. Then you will cut through the Sandia Mountains into Albuquerque. I recommend Mexican food at Sadies or Gardunos. West of Albuquerque you can really open 'er up. Just watch out for drunk Indians when you approach Gallup. Per capita the amount of DUIs and pedestrians being struck by vehicles there is insane.
'09 335i 6MT Sedan: AW / Saddle / Alum / Nav / Premium / Sport / CA / Sirius / 35% / Black Kidneys / HPFP #3
Old 05-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvogt1 View Post
...Years ago I took I-10 out and I just remember a very boring road that took forever to cross Texas. I'm kind of leaning toward the shortest route as I would have to average 10 miles an hour faster for 10 straight hours to kill the extra 100 miles. I guess that might be possible through Texas (85-90 mph?) but I'm sure I would burn a bit more gas doing that.
Donít worry about the mileage. Even with the cruise set on 90, youíll still get almost 28 mpg. Iíve found the most dramatic drop-off in mpg comes as you push past 95.

Iíve driven the I-20 / I-10 route to El Paso and into New Mexico many times. I agree thereís not much scenery other than the Davis and Franklin Mountains or the wind generating farms around Roscoe and Sweetwater (if you consider that scenic). The advantage is the amount of miles you can quickly pile up.

I-40 is definitely a more scenic route. Besides the sites already mentioned, thereís also the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest along the way.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerfsBimmer View Post
Donít worry about the mileage. Even with the cruise set on 90, youíll still get almost 28 mpg. Iíve found the most dramatic drop-off in mpg comes as you push past 95.

Iíve driven the I-20 / I-10 route to El Paso and into New Mexico many times. I agree thereís not much scenery other than the Davis and Franklin Mountains or the wind generating farms around Roscoe and Sweetwater (if you consider that scenic). The advantage is the amount of miles you can quickly pile up.

I-40 is definitely a more scenic route. Besides the sites already mentioned, thereís also the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest along the way.
I do remember frequent cops in the eastern part of Texas but the western part as devoid of law.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:43 AM
Bo's ready for the Big 10

Mein Auto: A Murano and Civic Hybrid
West of San Antonio all the way to El Paso the speed limit is 80mph. 20 blends into 10 so you get some 80mph time if you take that route.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight_Schrute View Post

Anyways, hope that helps a bit. If you do take that route on my suggestion and I ever sit down at one of your tables and get dealt 2-7 off-suit I'll know you didn't care for it much. Good luck!
I'm pretty much settling in on the I-40 route. As I mentioned, I've already driven I-10 and would like to take a different route. I did get to see the Grand Canyon on that trip and was amazed at the enormity of it. The photos I had seen could not begin to capture the incredible depths - I literally stood on the edge with my mouth open!

Thanks for the reply and good luck at the tables!
6/24/08 Under sail
8/07/08 PCD
Old 05-06-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattieB View Post
+1 on I-40. You can stop at The Big Texan in Amarillo and try to eat the 72oz steak ala Great Oudoors with John Candy. Then you will cut through the Sandia Mountains into Albuquerque. I recommend Mexican food at Sadies or Gardunos. West of Albuquerque you can really open 'er up. Just watch out for drunk Indians when you approach Gallup. Per capita the amount of DUIs and pedestrians being struck by vehicles there is insane.
Thanks for the input. It sounds like I-40 has some interesting scenery. I don't know about the 72oz steak - I need to be able to get back into the car after eating! Love Mexican food though, so I'm taking note on the Sadies and Gardunos recommendations.
6/24/08 Under sail
8/07/08 PCD
Old 05-06-2009, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerfsBimmer View Post

It is amazing the highway mileage these cars can get. I'll be clearing the trip statistics before I leave - it will be interesting to see the 2400 mile results.

As a child of 5 or 6, I rode in the family car from Tucson to Chicago along Route 66. It looks like I-40 follows much of the same roadbed now days. I remember stopping to see the Petrified Forest back then. I guess my minds made up now to "retrace" that route and see if I recoginze anything from 45 years ago. Should be interesting.

Thanks for the reply.
6/24/08 Under sail
8/07/08 PCD
Old 05-06-2009, 07:20 AM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I'm going to be a radical here....

Though I realize it may be impossible or impractical, I'm going to suggest you do hundreds of miles away from the interstate. I would find out which roads were the most important cross country roads in the 50's... before the interstate. I would then plan on spending as much time on those roads as I could. The drive will take twice as long, true. But you'll see a side of America which is quickly being forgotten. Your trip will be far more interesting. It's likely that the driving itself will be far more interesting. It's likely that your trip will be far more memorable.

I often challenge my students regarding such trips. (I don't think I've had any real takers.) See if you can make the trip with 0 miles on an interstate. Zero!!

Even if I only manage to get them to spend one day off the interstate, I figure they'll come away with a new perspective on things.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 05-06-2009, 07:36 AM
I drink your milkshake

Mein Auto: beater
Can't speak about the I-40 route..but definately can compare the I-10 to I-20 routes in Texas atleast. I-10 goes through the hearts of Houston and San Antonio, while I-20 grazes the southern portion of DFW Metroplex. Seems like less hassle and likely a lot less traffic.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 AM
I need a drink

Send a message via AIM to Araq44
Mein Auto: mobile
I flyout June 4th for the WSOP....can't wait!!!!

good luck to you unless you are at my table.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post

Though I realize it may be impossible or impractical, I'm going to suggest you do hundreds of miles away from the interstate. I would find out which roads were the most important cross country roads in the 50's... before the interstate. I would then plan on spending as much time on those roads as I could. The drive will take twice as long, true. But you'll see a side of America which is quickly being forgotten. Your trip will be far more interesting. It's likely that the driving itself will be far more interesting. It's likely that your trip will be far more memorable.

I often challenge my students regarding such trips. (I don't think I've had any real takers.) See if you can make the trip with 0 miles on an interstate. Zero!!

Even if I only manage to get them to spend one day off the interstate, I figure they'll come away with a new perspective on things.
How about he does the interstate out and the backroads on the return route? Best of both worlds.
'09 335i 6MT Sedan: AW / Saddle / Alum / Nav / Premium / Sport / CA / Sirius / 35% / Black Kidneys / HPFP #3
Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
I'm sure that would be an excellent plan.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 05-06-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araq44 View Post
I flyout June 4th for the WSOP....can't wait!!!!

good luck to you unless you are at my table.

I'll be dealing at the WSOP - not playing. I'm trying to guarantee I'll come back with more money than I left with! Not to say I won't play some smaller tournaments at other sites. Good luck at the tables.
6/24/08 Under sail
8/07/08 PCD
Old 05-06-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post

Though I realize it may be impossible or impractical, I'm going to suggest you do hundreds of miles away from the interstate.
While that would be very interesting, I am limited in the time I can take to get out to Vegas. The interstate highways are pretty boring and mundane by design, but they are generally the fastest way to cover many miles. I'm looking at 34 hours of driving over three days if I can average 70 mph. Perhaps another time...
6/24/08 Under sail
8/07/08 PCD
Old 05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvogt1 View Post
...As a child of 5 or 6, I rode in the family car from Tucson to Chicago along Route 66.
When I was a kid we also did the whole Route 66 from Chicago to LA. Wonderful trip with lots of memories.

More recently I went the Albuquerque to Grants to Gallup route which has some old sections of US-66 off to the side. While camping at El Malpais (lava fields), I talked to a retired couple that was doing Route 66 in pure style!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Awesome bb. That looks abit like my Grandpa's 1954 Bel Air, except his was baby blue.

Doin' it in style 4 sure. Thanks for sharing.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008