Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
Wonderful Pothole I Hit.

Here's a pothole I hit yesterday. It is on the main street in Toronto (Yonge St.). I'm not sure exactly what's wrong (bent rim, control arm) but there is damage. Looking in the rear view all the cars are just a blur from the vibration. Went back and took some pictures.

They guy in the red jacket is from the valet at North 44 restaurant. I think they just sit and watch cars hit the pothole between parking cars.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Most cars would take a pothole like that, no problem. Our 3-series, seem very fragile, especially with sport package. I used to chat on Audi forums. Sure, you'd get an occasional "I hit a pothole" thread, but nothing like you have on this forum.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i w/ ZSP
Wow. That's ridiculous. I'd totally sue the city for damages if the hazard was not marked. A 4" drop at and speed over about 5mph can cause damage to any car, let alone a precision tuned BMW.

They should have to put a cone or something in it, or a sign saying caution pot-holes.

ED April 16 09: 335i E90 / 6MT / Crimson Red + Black / ZSP / ZPP / ZCW / Plus a few other goodies!
<sold> 2003 Redfire Metallic Mazda 6s w/ 5MT
Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Are you kidding?

I deliberately steer TOWARD baby ones like that to avoid big NY potholes.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Bimmer lusting

Mein Auto: E90 330i 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
LOL Classic!!

I concur
Old 05-03-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Ok. That's just funny. Looks like the bang scared the hell out of that dude.

The one I hit is not the worst in the world, but what really pisses me off is for the last month the works department has been on that street closing off stretches of lanes for repair and they finally finish and no sign of them and there's that pothole left over.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Yeah, my first thought was that was a pretty amateur-grade pothole. But, if it caused damage, that is no picnic.

On the way to Toronto the other week I hit the mother of all potholes in Buffalo. Kaboom!!! I thought that my car was toast. I pulled over first chance, and thoroughly inspected the car... and... appears to be no damage.

It's funny, after *not* hitting a couple potholes for a few weeks, I return to thinking people are exaggerating again. Then, driving around I hit one, and my car gets the Shaken Baby Syndrome. Mankind was not designed to survive such jolts. KABLAM!

I think the "BOOM" also heightens the sense of perceived damage -- if it was quieter I would probably think less of the whole thing. I'm sorry that you actually got damage on your car, hammock.

We should make a movie about this issue. Oh wait, never mind.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by neapolitan View Post
Yeah, my first thought was that was a pretty amateur-grade pothole. But, if it caused damage, that is no picnic.

On the way to Toronto the other week I hit the mother of all potholes in Buffalo. Kaboom!!! I thought that my car was toast. I pulled over first chance, and thoroughly inspected the car... and... appears to be no damage.

It's funny, after *not* hitting a couple potholes for a few weeks, I return to thinking people are exaggerating again. Then, driving around I hit one, and my car gets the Shaken Baby Syndrome. Mankind was not designed to survive such jolts. KABLAM!

I think the "BOOM" also heightens the sense of perceived damage -- if it was quieter I would probably think less of the whole thing. I'm sorry that you actually got damage on your car, hammock.

We should make a movie about this issue. Oh wait, never mind.
No doubt, the "pothole explosion" sound makes most potholes seem 10x worse than they really are.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: Car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehammocklife View Post
Unthinkable in Munich. Surprising in Toronto. Typical in Baltimore, Philly, etc...
Old 05-03-2009, 02:44 PM
Pok Gai 1.0

Mein Auto: '09 E92 335i M-Sport
that valet looks freaky - i wouldn't want him to park my car
Old 05-03-2009, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: '15 M3 (ED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBaker View Post
Unthinkable in Munich. Surprising in Toronto. Typical in Baltimore, Philly, etc...
Not surprising in Toronto. The roads here are terrible. Hammock, are you going to pursue the city on this?
Old 05-03-2009, 03:28 PM
ZHPper

Mein Auto: 330ciZHP Mini Clubman VUE
Gotta love those valets don't you! Maybe the dope (And most of them are, it's why I usually don't tip them) could have called the city about it. We were sitting in a restaurant in Philly watching a 750's parking meter expire (I was too far away to do anything about it) and the cops/tow truck were there in 3 minutes of course. A valet was sitting 5 feet away from it all this time and laughing about it...guess he didn't have a spare quarter. I explained to him what his mother was on the way back to our hotel.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanuck View Post
Not surprising in Toronto. The roads here are terrible. Hammock, are you going to pursue the city on this?
Yes, I'll be filing a claim. There is a lot of hoop jumping to do, but I think this one might be worth it. Taking the car in Thursday and will see what damage is done.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
That was my first thought about the ones around here too, but it's not just the size, it's the shear number. There can be 10 of them in a 50 ft stretch. Dodging one just means going right into another. I went down a road a few days ago and even the big suv's were braking to about 2 mph to get through.

Potholes took out both my fronts, but it's not all bad, the new tires are much better than the RFT's.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Insert T I T L E here

Mein Auto: BMW e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody underwood View Post
Gotta love those valets don't you! Maybe the dope (And most of them are, it's why I usually don't tip them) could have called the city about it. We were sitting in a restaurant in Philly watching a 750's parking meter expire (I was too far away to do anything about it) and the cops/tow truck were there in 3 minutes of course. A valet was sitting 5 feet away from it all this time and laughing about it...guess he didn't have a spare quarter. I explained to him what his mother was on the way back to our hotel.
Keep in mind the dynamics may be such that the cops will browbeat them into not feeding meters for people, depriving the city of revenue. In Cambridge there are a few restaurants that CLEARLY goad people into parking in an area that is an arbitrary and poorly-marked "TOW ZONE", and the tow trucks wait around the corner and hoist you up within a few minutes. It is simply a racket. Detestable.

I used to walk past this street every day (near Harvard Square), and I swear three times a week I would see somebody screaming and pleading with the tow driver as they hoisted their car away.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Wow, sorry you hit that monster. That seems like it wolud be a danger on a crowed street. If you hit it just wrong it seems like the car could pull/slide into the other lane.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:03 PM

luckily we rarely see those potholes down here and that one is deep.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 E92 M3
Oh God, I am so glad I live in SE Florida!
Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 PM

Took the car in and inner front right rim is bent. Cost $1200 total. So I took my first step to filing a claim with the city and went to the building only to find that it is gone, flattened to the ground making way for something new. Hoop 1 has been jumped through. 2000 more to go.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 335i
that really sucks
Old 05-09-2009, 07:37 AM
///M+AMG=?

Mein Auto: 6MT
OUCH and GOOD LUCK with your claim!
Old 05-09-2009, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spagolli94 View Post
Most cars would take a pothole like that, no problem. Our 3-series, seem very fragile, especially with sport package. I used to chat on Audi forums. Sure, you'd get an occasional "I hit a pothole" thread, but nothing like you have on this forum.
You're making a "grass is greener" argument here. That pothole would have taken out just about anything except maybe a tall profile off road wheel. There's nothing special about a BMW that would cause the rims to get damaged more easily than any other car. It's simply a matter of the low profile tires.