Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 335I Sedan
did i cause any damage????

i know this has been discussed gabillions of times but your opinions are very welcome. i was driving home last night, doing 60mph and went over a sewer cover on the road that was not flush with the road, but a little recessed... i guess this is what we call "pothole explosions".... the sound was stupid and the bang was quite hard as it popped my gps's power adapter out of the socket.... continued my drive home and everything seemed normal and physically there was no damage to any rimm or tire... are there any chances that something did get damaged due to the nature of the "bang"????? how can i tell? i dont really know what to look for?

'08 335i Sedan - Titanium Silver - Black Leather Int - Alum trim - Premium Pack - Prm Sound pack - Sports pack - Step - Paddles - Comfort Access - Sirrius - BMW Winter Mag Kit 17" LM22 - Summer RF 18" - Tints - Clear Bra
Advertisement
Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Boosted Bavarian

Mein Auto: '08 335Ci
Since you drove on and felt everything was normal, my guess is your alignment and balance weren’t knocked out. I would keep a close eye on the tires for any bulge that may develop.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Pok Gai 1.0

Mein Auto: '09 E92 335i M-Sport
yes, send your car to me for evaluation.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Top down in Sunny SoFla

Send a message via AIM to mfear
Mein Auto: 2007 E93 335i JB+
it's fine
Old 05-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Cutter of animals

Mein Auto: 2007 328i coupe
I've had a number of similar encounters in Houston (good god those roads are terrible). All of them were extremely painful to go through in terms of fearing something would go wrong, but it always drove fine after. On one, however, I realized a few days later that one of my mudflaps was ripped to shreds but still dangling. I had it removed, but BMW wanted over $200 to replace it, so as of right now I only have a mudflap on the left side.

So...might want to check and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be even if it's driving ok.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 335I Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by _alliance_ View Post
I've had a number of similar encounters in Houston (good god those roads are terrible). All of them were extremely painful to go through in terms of fearing something would go wrong, but it always drove fine after. On one, however, I realized a few days later that one of my mudflaps was ripped to shreds but still dangling. I had it removed, but BMW wanted over $200 to replace it, so as of right now I only have a mudflap on the left side.

So...might want to check and make sure everything is where it's supposed to be even if it's driving ok.
... i dont have mud flaps, and everything under the car and around the wheels seems fine - nothing seems broken or moved... i was more worried about suspension parts and / or steering parts...

'08 335i Sedan - Titanium Silver - Black Leather Int - Alum trim - Premium Pack - Prm Sound pack - Sports pack - Step - Paddles - Comfort Access - Sirrius - BMW Winter Mag Kit 17" LM22 - Summer RF 18" - Tints - Clear Bra
Old 05-09-2009, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Thankfully, in California, we don't see manhole covers placed on roads with high speed limits.

That's just asking for trouble, no matter if you drive a BMW or not.
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Cutter of animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
Thankfully, in California, we don't see manhole covers placed on roads with high speed limits.

That's just asking for trouble, no matter if you drive a BMW or not.
Well up in the mountains (even California), because of the plows in the winter, the roads are torn to ****. And they barely fix em when it warms up; just well enough to last about a month before it falls apart again. I swear, doing a half-assed job doesn't fix a thing! If i did that with a patient, I'd be sued left and right.

Job security, I guess. They know they will have something to do (clean up their own mess) regularly throughout the year.

Last edited by _alliance_; 05-09-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Trend Setter!

Mein Auto: BMW 335i ///M Sport
I just hit a pothole at 70 MPH myself a couple of days back and my car drove fine after that. The sound was literally like an explosion. I could feel the steering had lost some of its BMW precision. I still took it to the dealer and found out that my alignment went haywire.. They fixed it and my car drives great now! Steering feel is back to normal. The pothole I hit was in the middle of the freeway in San Diego. That's crazy!!

I recommend you to go explain exactly what happened and they'll do a thorough analysis of your suspension/tires/alignment etc.. I think your car should be fine though and at worse the alignment will be off if it is a typical pothole hit.

Last edited by deznium; 05-09-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Cutter of animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznium View Post
I just hit a pothole at 70 MPH myself a couple of days back and my car drove fine after that. The sound was literally like an explosion. I could feel the steering had lost some of its BMW precision. I still took it to the dealer and found out that my alignment went haywire.. They fixed it and my car drives great now! Steering feel is back to normal. The pothole I hit was in the middle of the freeway in San Diego. That's crazy!!

I recommend you to go explain exactly what happened and they'll do a thorough analysis of your suspension/tires/alignment etc.. I think your car should be fine though and at worse the alignment will be off if it is a typical pothole hit.

Did they fix it under warranty?