Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 Audi S4
I think this is an age question, but also a # of cars you own question. Younger folks in cities like the 3 series, anyone born before 1970 is allowed to drive a Vette. A Vette would not be practical as your only car, whereas a 3 series sedan could.

The Vette is unquestionably more bang for the buck and the next closest thing is a 911 at double the price. I've not tracked one myself, but I've heard the regular C6 is preferred over the Z06 - something about chassis dynamics. Fascinatingly, the Z06 is a 100% different car hand built from aluminum. There was a great program called Extreme Factories that showed how it is made.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 550ix, GL450, 991S, R8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
My 335 lease is up in a few weeks and I am not getting another 335i though I will get something similiar like a C350 or IS350.
Strange I am quoting myself but I just came back from a test drive of the IS350 ... it is out of the running ... nice car but doesn't have that 'feel' of I gotta drive it that the 335i has.

I don't want it to sound like the 335 is not addicting to drive, after a day or two away it always feel great and does have an awesome feel to it that very few other cars have.

Sorry to make your decision harder ...
Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 335i E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
thanks for all reply's. I think at this point, it'll come down to the price of the vette. "can i get a vette for the price i want", if not then i'll get a bimmer. Like AF said, and many others, you don't want to get out of vette, you want to drive it (i had that feeling before, and it's great). For some reason I don't hear that from bmw owners.
I think they'll be comparable in price. If the Vette is what really "does it" for you, then you should get that one. Don't get the 335i because everyone here thinks you should get one. That said, you should really try to drive them back-to-back. When I did, I wanted whichever one I was driving at the time- they were both outstanding. The 335i won out for the practicality and understated, classier image, not to mention the CPO warranty and more confidence-inspiring handling. I love the car and often "don't want to get out of it", if that's the kind of anecdotal evidence you want and you need to hear it from a BMW owner. I often take the long way home, I often sit in it for a minute after I get home, and last night I went on a 25 mile drive up a windy road just for the hell of it.

Don't worry...you can't make a "bad" choice here, but when you've made up your mind, go drive the other one last time before you pull the trigger. If you change your mind, go drive the first one again before you pull the trigger. They're both such great cars you'll probably want whichever you drove last.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: mercury
hmm, bmw's seem to be a bit cheaper ($2k). 07 vettes go for about $27k, where's 335's can be found for $25k (
Old 04-24-2009, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 635i
i have the 335 coupe. i look back at it every time i park it and am always eager to go for a drive. the guys with the vettes keep stating that they only take them in for oil changes once a year. is that because you guys only drive them once a month. you can't compare something you drive everyday to a weekend car. the real question is, would you drive the vette EVERYDAY? i've driven one for a day and i will say i couldnt drive that thing everyday. very nice car for a weekender though.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335I Convertible
Interesting topic. I have a 2006 C6 Convertible will all the options and a 2008 335i convertible with everything except Nav. Both cars have their place. The Vette is more fun to drive but not as an everyday driver. I like to save it for special trips to wine country and outings with a Corvette club. The 335i is much better when the wet weather comes and as a grocery getter and general use car. The Vette is certainly faster although both car will travel down a twisty road at the same velocity. The 335i is a bit more balanced in curves while the Vette is more fun to drive through the curves. If I had to sell one. I'd sell the 335i first but it would hurt. I have a collection of 60's muscle cars and both of these cars will beat all of them when it comes to speed down a curvy road.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Xdrive
I guess it is my time to chime in on this having recently defected from A C5 over to the 335xi.

I love my Vette, and might get another one some day. It is a great car, and like was said, you have to own one once in your life. i had mine 8 years, and it always put a smile on my face.

That being said, it was not without issues. There were just as many Gremlins on a C5 and now the C6 as I read about here, just ask any C5'er about the dreaded Service Column Lock and the Computer Aided Gear Selection on a manual just plain sucks... The only complaint about mine was the fall off in quality after owning it for a while. It had 37000 miles on it, and was rattling and shimmying all the time. When I was driving it to trade it in, I realised it was a good decision. The fit and finish will never come close to the BMW either, it is so tight. I drove a CPO that had 90k on it just to see how much fall off there was, and aside from being down on power, it was still tight.

As far as livibility, especially if you are with one car, out here on the East Coast, the BMW is a great choice, and with barely any money you can make it quicker, but then again, BMWs are more about twisties than drag racing IMHO.

I Haven't looked back on my choice, and I still have a special place in my heart for the Vette. Maybe a nice vert down the road, but I always envision a BMW in the garage now.

Guess my Midelife crisis is over, albeit 15 years early!
Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Xdrive
[QUOTE=AF;4121565]Strange I am quoting myself but I just came back from a test drive of the IS350 ... it is out of the running ... nice car but doesn't have that 'feel' of I gotta drive it that the 335i has.
[QUOTE]

I agree, It's the Torque and handeling that are intoxicating. The 300 4matic, CTS4, G37x, A4 6cyl all made the final selection round for me, but NONE made me say "This can replace my Vette." Only the 335 did that.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Here since day one

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoryW View Post
i have the 335 coupe. i look back at it every time i park it and am always eager to go for a drive. the guys with the vettes keep stating that they only take them in for oil changes once a year. is that because you guys only drive them once a month. you can't compare something you drive everyday to a weekend car. the real question is, would you drive the vette EVERYDAY? i've driven one for a day and i will say i couldnt drive that thing everyday. very nice car for a weekender though.

The 335 Coupe is better looking then the sedan, if I had a Coupe I would probably look back at it too ...

My Corvette gets driven on a regular basis (2 to 3 times a week), it is no garage queen and it really has had no issues ... does it feel as tight as the 335i ... no, the germans really have that solid feel that no others have ...

Either car is great to have ...
Old 05-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Confessed Bimmer Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
Going to do any Winter driving? Where I live, all Vettes are put away from late Fall to early Spring. Could be a problem if it's your only vehicle. Potentially stupid question here, but does anyone know of anyone that drives a Vette in snow?
E92 335i - 6 Spd [Retired]
E53 X5 4.4i [Retired]
E39 540i [Retired]
Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
A vette is no worse than a RWD 335 in the snow w/o snow tires. I drove 400+ rwhp mustangs for years in the snow. The 335 has better traction control but that is a double-edged sword and does no good when you have to shut it off to get up a slight incline on summer tires. Snow tires are your friend...
Old 05-08-2009, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Sedan
I'll chime in on this. Back in '97 I bought the brand-new C5 Corvette. At the time, I had to choose between the "Awesome New Vette" or some Toyota that had been around since '93 - The Supra Turbo. Uh huh...and I chose the Vette...stupid, stupid, stupid! What a piece of crap. Huge car outside, tiny car inside - powerful, but rear end could loop around going around corners if you hit an expansion joint. Oh, and the motor would die when you'd hit that same bump. And the traction control locked "off". And the floor mats began to come apart. And the rear hatch would allow water to pee inside the rear cargo area if you opened it when car was wet. And one of the speakers stopped working. And once the gas guage fell to EMPTY and triggered the CHECK ENGINE light - I paniced, pulled over expecting to see gas sprayed all over the underside of car, but it was just an electrical gremlin - restarted car and it fixed itself. And it would bottom out leaving "humped" driveways or scrape going up steep driveways. It was a head turner and you'll get thumbs up from fellow Vette owners, but was glad to get rid of it. Like so many have said, YOU NEED TO OWN AT LEAST ONE CORVETTE. You'll either love it or hate it. High mile Corvettes have terrible resale value - don't put a lot of miles on it if you plan to sell it after a few years. Vettes with lots of options sell much better than those without. I still kick myself for not opting for the '97 Supra Turbo - oh what a hero I could have been! Now have a 335i sedan, not a head turner like a Vette, but a very satisfying ride. Just buy the Vette so you won't always wonder! Good luck.

"This situation calls for panic."
Old 05-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Here since day one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
A vette is no worse than a RWD 335 in the snow w/o snow tires. I drove 400+ rwhp mustangs for years in the snow. The 335 has better traction control but that is a double-edged sword and does no good when you have to shut it off to get up a slight incline on summer tires. Snow tires are your friend...

The traction control for the 335i is quicker to kick-in then the Vette's ... don't know if some consider this better

I always found the traction control on the Vette perfect, it gives you just enough free play for the right amount of tire slippage but kicks in when your approaching trouble though in the snow this would be a negative not a positive.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
The traction control for the 335i is quicker to kick-in then the Vette's ... don't know if some consider this better

I always found the traction control on the Vette perfect, it gives you just enough free play for the right amount of tire slippage but kicks in when your approaching trouble though in the snow this would be a negative not a positive.
Agree 100%, AF. I wish the BMW came with traction control that worked by default more like when DTC is enabled. It is waaaay too intrusive for my tastes by default, in some cases downright dangerous when it chooses to cut power or brake. I like the Vette's better based on how I drive.

Like I said elsewhere in this thread. I would have a C6 or Cayman S if I didn't have small kids. The 335 is a great compromise between practicality and sport but it is a bit overpriced for what you get imho. I probably won't buy another one but just like a vette, everyone should own a BMW once in their life if they really like to drive also.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Here since day one

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
I would have a C6 or Cayman S if I didn't have small kids. The 335 is a great compromise between practicality and sport but it is a bit overpriced for what you get imho. I probably won't buy another one but just like a vette, everyone should own a BMW once in their life if they really like to drive also.
Then the problem comes up of what to get next. Seriously ... I don't know what to do, I have my 335 sedan lease up in a few weeks and I need to purchase a car (since a 2 yr lease doesn't look like an option any longer).
My dealer is willing to give me my 335 for under $30k which seems to be a good deal but it's been 2 years, I need something different.

I have test driven a few cars but what heck to buy that is better than the 335 ... sheesh the problems we have in life
Old 05-10-2009, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 330Xi
Buy the C6....
Old 05-10-2009, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: '08 E92, space gray/black
If you just enjoy driving to drive, buy the vette. Love my 335i coupe but would really enjoy a corvette.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Officially a BMW Homer.

Mein Auto: 2008 335i
I'm not sure why a 335 sedan has been thrown in the mix when comparing to a Vette.

I'm also not sure how anyone has yet to mention what a cheap and ugly interior the Corvette has. Even the new Z's have a interior that was probably designed in 5 minutes with about $100 worth of plastic materials

It's like you have an awesome exterior, pretty to look at when parked. Then you walk into this cockpit and feel like you're riding in some cheap POS surrounded by plastic everywhere with a mean engine roaring in the backround somewhere.

I love the Vette but that Interior would def scare me away if I was in the OP situation. I thought it was funny at first, but now it's just consistant how every other person I see in a Vette has white hair. Almost like a Civic to a Ricer.

335i JB3 6MT: Goes from 0-60 in the time it took you to read this.
SSTT turbo chip for sale in the Classifieds

Last edited by GinoDotCom; 05-10-2009 at 11:35 PM.