Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
BIG D BIMMERS

Mein Auto: '13 535i MSPORT,'10 E93
2010 5 Series

Hope this is not a repost..

Competition is fiercer than ever, so Bavarian Motor Works has put a lot of work into the scheduled 2010 redesign of its midrange cars. Replacing the "E60" generation introduced back in 2004, the new 5-Series, codenamed F10, rolls out beginning in 2009 with more-elegant styling, more interior room, and new tech features, including some that promise to eke out extra mpg without compromising performance.

Based on leaked info and spy photos, the 2010 BMW 5-Series is fractionally longer and wider than current models, but stands a bit lower on a wheelbase stretched by some 3 inches. The extra space between wheel centers should mean somewhat more passenger room, especially in terms of rear legroom. Sources also expect slightly wider axle tracks, which may increase hip room and improve already exemplary handling. The new 5s reportedly weigh about the same as today's models and may even be usefully lighter, as the F10 architecture reportedly makes greater use of structural aluminum than the E60 platform.

Styling of the 2010 BMW 5-Series should be cleaner and more elegant than the current look with its odd mix of curves, hollows, and angles. Sedans get a smoother "bustle" trunk, and all models wear a larger "twin kidney" grille between slimmer headlamp clusters with new "eyebrow" LED running lights, elements lifted from the recent Concept CS design study. Interior layout is much the same, but a new type of glare-resistant display is said to allow smaller shrouds over the gauges and the central dashboard screen. That screen still adjusts navigation and infotainment functions in concert with BMW's much-debated iDrive control knob, a system that will probably be "simplified" once more in an effort to silence the debate.

Sources say the U.S.-market 2010 BMW 5-Series will retain today's base and twin-turbo 3.0-liter 6-cylinder engines. Both powerplants will be mildly tweaked for improved fuel efficiency, but power and torque outputs shouldn't change much. Entry-level 528i models may be renamed 530i, but 535i models should keep their badge. The 550i V8s probably won't change names either, but could swap a 4.8-liter engine for BMW's new twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 to add 40 horsepower and as many lb-ft of torque. The high-performance M5 will likely take a year off, and then return for 2011 with a rumored extra 50 horses--550 in all--via a 5.0-liter V10 bored out to 5.5 liters. A 6-speed manual transmission should remain standard for all models, and all but the M5 will be available with a new 8-speed automatic, replacing a 6-speed unit. A dual-clutch 7-speed automated-manual transmission will remain optional for M5, but might be extended to 550s and/or 6-cylinder models, perhaps as part of a Sport Package option. We also understand that non-M5s will offer one or more of BMW's fuel-saving "Efficient Dynamics" technologies. See "Notable Feature" below for more details.

Not surprisingly, the 2010 BMW 5-Series will carry over the current panoply of electronic driving aids, including standard ABS, antiskid system, traction control, and optional BMW Active Steering with variable ratio and assist. All-wheel drive should again be available for 6-cylinder sedans, and could be newly listed for the 550. Also returning is optional Active Roll Stabilization that uses special suspension members to counteract cornering lean. BMW's Dynamic Drive Control is being whispered as a new 5-Series extra. Already standard in the posh 6-Series coupe and convertible, DDC is basically a "one button Sport mode" that recalibrates suspension, throttle, and transmission responses to suit more-aggressive driving. Wheel sizes are said to be unchanged at 17 inches for 6-cylinder models, 18 for 550s, and 19 for the M5.

Also like current models, the 2010 BMW 5-Series will offer class-expected options such as a navigation system, front- and rear-obstacle detection, keyless entry and engine start, and adaptive cruise control that maintains a set following distance. An available night-vision system with head-up display should return as well. So, too, a lane-departure-warning system, 20-way power front seats, and a heated steering wheel, plus one or more Sport Packages with various handling and interior upgrades.
A Notable Feature of the 2010 BMW 5-Series

BMW announced its "Efficient Dynamics" initiative in 2005, and has since put some of these technologies into showroom models to reduce emissions and fuel consumption. Prime examples include direct fuel injection and the company's Valvetronic variable valve-timing system that uses "by-wire" electronic controls instead of a mechanical throttle. The 2010 BMW 5-Series will likely add other elements of the "Efficient Dynamics" suite. The most probable are a fuel-saving engine start/stop system, like that on many gasoline/electric hybrid vehicles, and a so-called Intelligent Alternator Control that de-couples the alternator drive except when coasting and braking to eliminate that drain on engine power. Another strong prospect is "Active Aero," a series of flaps that adjust to smooth airflow under and through the engine compartment to reduce gas-eating wind resistance at highway speeds. Serving the same end is a possible "active suspension" option that lowers the vehicle slightly at highway speeds--not a new idea, but now very timely with skyrocketing gas prices. Of course, less weight would also help eke out extra mpg, as would the higher gearing made possible by the new 8-speed automatic. All this sounds very promising, but we'll have to wait and see how much thriftier the new 5-Series actually is in both EPA ratings and Consumer Guide's real-world testing.

We don't rule out a diesel version of the 2010 BMW 5-Series. This would likely be a 535d sedan with a twin-turbo 6-cylinder that allegedly makes some 280 horsepower and thumping torque of over 400 lb-ft. Like most European automakers, BMW is high on diesel power for its comparatively greater fuel thrift and lower CO2 emissions. Indeed, BMW will soon add an "oil burner" option to its 3-Series compact-car lineup. In both cases, the engine is cleaned up to meet tough U.S. emissions limits with "AdBlue" technology. This uses urea injection into the exhaust stream and a special catalytic converter to leave mainly water vapor and nitrogen at the tailpipe. It's expensive engineering, and a stiff sticker price could limit the U.S. "take rate" as much as the higher cost of diesel fuel. Again, it will be interesting to see what happens.

The same applies to a possible hybrid 5-Series using the 2-Mode gasoline/electric drive developed by BMW in concert with General Motors and the former DaimlerChrysler. Though this idea hasn't shown up in any of the intelligence we've received, a hybrid 5 would make a nifty counter to the Lexus GS 450h and could conceivably be out before archrivals Audi and Mercedes field their own midsize hybrid cars. If or when BMW does take the plunge, you heard it here first.

Buying Advice for the 2010 BMW 5-Series

BMW has built a brand image that virtually guarantees strong demand for almost anything it offers. So unless the market goes completely bonkers--and let's hope it doesn't--the redesigned 5-Series should sell as well as the current line. But BMW isn't the only golden boy in the premium-class arena, and rivals are spoiling for a fight with the new 5. A redesigned Audi A6 and Mercedes-Benz E-Class are due out by 2010. And the just-redesigned Cadillac CTS is already a Consumer 2008 Best Buy versus the currently unrated 5-Series. The Consumer Guide 2008 Recommended Infiniti Ms have attractions of their own, as do Lexus GS models. The obvious moral here is to drive them all before you decide--unless you're crazy for Bimmers and won't settle for a substitute. Just don't expect much in the way of incentives--unless the market goes completely bonkers.

2010 BMW 5-Series Release Date: European sources say the redesigned 5-Series will arrive in 2010, but don't seem to know which month. We suspect the U.S. versions will bow late enough in the calendar year to be designated 2011 models, though BMW might get 'em here sooner. We'll keep you posted.

2010 BMW 5-Series First Test Drive: Media-preview timing is just as murky now as the on-sale schedule, but we hope to get acquainted with the new 5-Series by mid-summer of 2010.

2010 BMW 5-Series Prices: Excluding the specialized, limited-edition M5 hot-rod, 5-Series prices now range from $44,300 to $58,500. We'd guesstimate the 2010 spread at $46,500-$61,000, give or take a thou, keeping in mind the weak dollar and fast-rising costs for both raw materials and shipping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-bmw-5-series-04.jpg
Views:	1530
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	175586  

Last edited by DallasBimmer; 02-22-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '09 535i
I have mixed feelings about the look of the front end. Those European pedestrian standards are going to make the front ends of BMW's look God awful (like the 2010 5). Then again, when the current E60 was introduced, I wasn't a fan of its headlights. They grew on me, so maybe the front end of the F10 will grow on me as well.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBimmer View Post
Hope this is not a repost..

Competition is fiercer than ever, so Bavarian Motor Works has put a lot of work into the scheduled 2010 redesign of its midrange cars. Replacing the "E60" generation introduced back in 2004, the new 5-Series, codenamed F10, rolls out beginning in 2009 with more-elegant styling, more interior room, and new tech features, including some that promise to eke out extra mpg without compromising performance.
Wow! Who wrote this? The F10 5er will not come to market until sometime in 2010 as a 2011 model year.

2010 Model Year 5ers begin production next month (March) and they are still E60's. I don't know why BMW is cutting the 2009 MY short and starting the 2010 MY early, but the main change is that the 2010 models will have the new I-Drive, along with a couple of minor equipment changes.

To date there are no reliable, undisguised pictures that give any kind of useful idea of what the F10 5er actually looks like.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 02-23-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 PM
BIG D BIMMERS

Mein Auto: '13 535i MSPORT,'10 E93
You know, I thought all BMW models always lasted 7 years. So I thought either BMW is breaking with tradition or the intro year is miscalculated. BTW Chris Poole of auto writers' association wrote the article.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Travel Fever

Mein Auto: 535dx
Weaker dollar yes, actually even Euro and Pound are weaker as well except Yen, higher material and transporting cost would be no. Things are pretty dead.

MJ14 535dx - Imperial Blue
MJ10 550 GT - Imperial Blue (retired)
MJ07 530i - Silver Grey (Sold)
Old 02-24-2009, 08:13 AM
The 'Fest is My New Home

Send a message via AIM to mlambert831
Mein Auto: 1995 530i
I don't particularly believe this post, I mean I don't know how accurate it is. The picture too, doesn't seem too practical.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
This is another one of these sources claiming to know something, while in fact just recycle old rumors. All these speculations "Could" "Would" are completely waste of time to read.

2010 5 series is still the E60.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:49 PM
L5 Commander

Mein Auto: 2006 530xi
i like this one out of all the renderings out there currently
Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoE60 View Post
i like this one out of all the renderings out there currently
looks like a squished x6
Old 03-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Knowing is 1/2 the Battle

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
looks like it had a bad tint job gone purple...lol
Old 03-20-2009, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: shark'd 02 330i
that pic looks like the bmw CS concept
Old 03-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by porksoda View Post
looks like a squished x6
Yup.....
Old 03-25-2009, 12:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
The car looks really wide and low.. I like it.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:00 AM

Mein Auto: '96 E36
What the **** is that! Its so so... American. I cant believe that thing is going to have BMW badge on it.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhype View Post
that pic looks like the bmw CS concept

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-cs-concept.html

I think I remember seeing that picture about two years ago...
Old 05-12-2009, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: used to be 2010 535i
The new European pedestrian standards are already on front end of the new 750i and same is going to happen to F10 based 5er. As I was not willing to take chance with the new look and given it will be the first year of F10, I am going with MY2010 E60 based 535i.

MY2010 535i with A85, LCNG, ZCW, ZPP, ZSP, ZVP, 205, 261, 416, 496, 508, 609, 610, 653, 6FL, 775