Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-25-2009, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 320D SE
Replacement Windscreen with rain sensor!?

Ok, so I own a 320D SE based in the UK. So this car has a standard SE spec and it also has a Bluetooth Phone. I got the car about 6 months ago. It had done just over 10,000 miles. It was a good price, and it looked like a real bargain.

Since then I have noticed a lot of noise when travelling a high speeds, I do not want to say how high! The local BMW dealership have now carrried out a visual inspect and have told me that I do not have a genuine BMW screen fitted and that I need a " rain sensor trims fitted" to adjust wipers etc as well as replacing the screen. They say the screen is not fitted correctly ...hence the noise!

This is ok, except that I did not know I had a rain sensor. I do not have automatic lights as far as I know. So here is my question.

- How do I know for sure that I have a rain sensor?
- IS it possible to have a rain sensor but not have automatic lights?

Any information would be gratefully received

Thanks

I.
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '10 Audi TT Roadster
The rain sensor is a small window on the back side of your rear-view mirror mount. I'd check your owner's manual for the instructions on how to engage the rain sensor (I'm too foggy-headed at the moment to explain it -- there's a dial on one of the levers you twist up a notch), and then get a spray bottle with water and, after engaging the sensor on your windshield wiper lever, spray the sensor. If your wipers move, you have a rain sensor. If they don't, you don't.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
The rain sensor is mounted on the windshield directly in front of the interior rearview mirror and it is fairly large, it is obvious if you have one. It is activated by pressing the button on the end of the stalk that is used for turning on the wipers.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Porsche got the 911 right ( after they tried everything else lol )
Old 05-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
An even easier way:

Look at your windscreen wiper stalk, and the button protruding. If it has a little LED, then you have the rain sensor. If not, you have the standard intermittent wipers.

I believe the rain sensor is paired with automatic headlamps. If you have an "A" setting at the 11 o'clock position on the headlamp switch, then you have automatic headlamp control.