Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-07-2004, 10:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW X5
How do I pogram my garage door opener?

I am having a hard time programing this thing. I have 2 things I want to program. A gate opener and a garage door opener. I reset the bottons before programing anything. I successfuly programed the gate opener on number 1. I contunued to follow the instructions on the homesite website on how to program a garage opener. (Press and hold both at the same time untill flashes slow then fast, then release bottons) I've tried 15 times and I can't get it to work. When I try to do it, it flashes fast right off the bat then goes out. How the heck do you program a garage door opener?

It's for a 2001 BMW X5

Hope you guys can help me.

Brian

Last edited by BDM; 08-07-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 08-07-2004, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 is300
First of all, do you have code rollback type opener? Here what you need to do:

1. unplug the power from the garage opener
2. Now go inside your car and select button #2 and have the remote control program as directed from the manual.
3. Now, You need another person go back the garage opener and plug in the power
and locate the button on garage opener (program code button) usually a red button. Now press the RED button. At the same time, the person inside the car press the program button #2 and hold down until the garage opener start moving. I hope this will help you out !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDM
I am having a hard time programing this thing. I have 2 things I want to program. A gate opener and a garage door opener. I reset the bottons before programing anything. I successfuly programed the gate opener on number 1. I contunued to follow the instructions on the homesite website on how to program a garage opener. (Press and hold both at the same time untill flashes slow then fast, then release bottons) I've tried 15 times and I can't get it to work. When I try to do it, it flashes fast right off the bat then goes out. How the heck do you program a garage dorr openeer?

It's for a 2001 BMW X5

Hope you guys can help me.

Brian
Old 08-08-2004, 12:27 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdt04452
First of all, do you have code rollback type opener? Here what you need to do:

1. unplug the power from the garage opener
2. Now go inside your car and select button #2 and have the remote control program as directed from the manual.
3. Now, You need another person go back the garage opener and plug in the power
and locate the button on garage opener (program code button) usually a red button. Now press the RED button. At the same time, the person inside the car press the program button #2 and hold down until the garage opener start moving. I hope this will help you out !!!
Why the heck would you need to unplug the garage door opener for?

On all the rolling code openers I've ever done, there is a button on the opener you need to push to tell it you're programming a new remote. Don't need to hold it down. Press it, then press transmit on your car's door opener. That's how all the ones I've seen work. Including my own.

However, you should consult your garage door opener's manual to ensure these are the exact steps to take for you as well.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 08-08-2004, 07:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 20014 335i M-Sport EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeboy
Why the heck would you need to unplug the garage door opener for?

On all the rolling code openers I've ever done, there is a button on the opener you need to push to tell it you're programming a new remote. Don't need to hold it down. Press it, then press transmit on your car's door opener. That's how all the ones I've seen work. Including my own.

However, you should consult your garage door opener's manual to ensure these are the exact steps to take for you as well.
Same here. Just need to press the UGDO button within 30 seconds of pushing on the garage opener button on the motor.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:21 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
It's actually a two-step process for the rolling code garage door opener:

With the key in the accessory position (or with the engine running so you can get some air conditioning and not get all hot and mad while you work on this )

1. Press and hold the button on the X5 UGDO panel that you want to program, while holding your current remote near the panel and pressing the button on your current remote. Don't let go of either button until the UGDO light starts blinking rapidly.

2. Then, get out of the X5 and step on a stepladder and press the red button on your garage door opener. You've got about thirty seconds to return to the X5. (A friend could be helpful here, but I've done it myself)

3. Press and hold down the same button again on the UGDO panel. The instructions say to repeat this press and hold thing a couple times, but mine picked it up on the first try.

A word of wisdom - do NOT hold down the red button for very long on the garage door opener. You just need to press it in once, jump down and go back to the X5. Holding it down for any real length of time resets ALL your remotes, which means you now cannot open the door with anything, and have to program everything (ask me how I know )

The homelink website has a nice step through instruction page if you need it.

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather
Old 12-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzer View Post

With the key in the accessory position (or with the engine running so you can get some air conditioning and not get all hot and mad while you work on this )

1. Press and hold the button on the X5 UGDO panel that you want to program, while holding your current remote near the panel and pressing the button on your current remote. Don't let go of either button until the UGDO light starts blinking rapidly.

2. Then, get out of the X5 and step on a stepladder and press the red button on your garage door opener. You've got about thirty seconds to return to the X5. (A friend could be helpful here, but I've done it myself)

3. Press and hold down the same button again on the UGDO panel. The instructions say to repeat this press and hold thing a couple times, but mine picked it up on the first try.

A word of wisdom - do NOT hold down the red button for very long on the garage door opener. You just need to press it in once, jump down and go back to the X5. Holding it down for any real length of time resets ALL your remotes, which means you now cannot open the door with anything, and have to program everything (ask me how I know )

With all the flurry of activity on the 6, I decided to give my wife's X5 a little TLC and try this. Worked like a charm, thanks!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto: x5 4.4i,acura,jeep,mazda6
Suzer is Right.
I just went through the same thing with my wife's new Lexus.
I have the "Security+" opener.
After Suzer's step 1,which sets the memory.You get out of the car and get on the stepladder under your ceiling unit.You may have to remove the light cover to get to the red "smart button".Push it ones like you would push a doorbell.You have 30 seconds to get back to your car to push the car button.Push it ones for 3 seconds,or twice or three times,each for 3 seconds.Mine worked on the second time...P.S.Make sure your car is not under an open door,because the door will start moving.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:41 AM
BMW Fanatic

Mein Auto: BMW
Check this detailed article.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 330 Ci
One thing missing from all this advice is to put the HomeLink into learn you have to hold the 1 & 3 buttons at the same time for 20 seconds (til you get a flashing light), THEN hold the opener remote button and the button you want to progam until the HomeLink flashes...now you can press the learn button on your lift motor and run back to your car in under 30 seconds. The HomeLink website has videos that show you exactly what to do.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 5 Series
hey guys! just want to help, here's a link that may be helpful: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/ind...showtopic=2215
it's easy enough to understand if you take the time to research etc. i followed it and it actually worked! anyway hope this helps

Old 05-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: x5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzer View Post

suzer is right. Also Sethx9 addins right too.
Thank you both. It worked for me second time. I have no clue why BMW manual is missing regarding Motor button press step.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: x5 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethX9 View Post
One thing missing from all this advice is to put the HomeLink into learn you have to hold the 1 & 3 buttons at the same time for 20 seconds (til you get a flashing light), THEN hold the opener remote button and the button you want to progam until the HomeLink flashes...now you can press the learn button on your lift motor and run back to your car in under 30 seconds. The HomeLink website has videos that show you exactly what to do.
Thank you.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: X-5 and 94 325i Convert.
Thank you

Just fixed it for her and she is happy for a minute. LOL