Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2009, 04:47 PM
Sexy Sax Man / Kebab Lord

Mein Auto: 1995 M3
Rear Shock Mount DIY

Before we begin I would like to say a couple things...

(1) DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN ANYTHING...you know who you are...

(2) This was done on a 1995 ///M3. Different cars MAY vary...

(3) This is my 1st DIY so if I misspelled anything let me know

(4) This is how Me and my colleagues do this job...If you know a different way please share.

OK!
Glad that's out of the way! Lets begin!

Step 1: Preparation!

Before you can actually do anything you must get to the shock mounts. They are underneath the carpet in the trunk. First off you need to remove the two rear speakers. If they are stuck and don't come out or even seem to be coming out, chances are your shocks are in the speakers...mine were. In this case you have to lift the back end of the car just enough to get the rear tires off the ground. This makes the shocks go down and out of your speakers. After removing the speakers remove all the carpet on the LEFT SIDE and just get the RIGHT SIDE out of the way for you cannot remove it completely because of that gas door cable thing. Make sure you have the proper tools and proper equipment and you may now start working.

Step 2: Raise the car and remove the rear tires. Simple enough.

Step 3: Loosen the 2 side nuts on the shock mounts. Don't remove just yet...just loosen. Also keep the middle one on to hold the shock mount in place.

Step 4: Remove the bottom bolt that holds the shock in place. You need an Impact Wrench.

Step 5: Once you have the bottom bolt removed you may go back and remove the top 2 side nuts we loosened earlier. After that go ahead and pull out the WHOLE shock completely.

Step 6: Remove the old shock mount by removing the middle nut with an impact wrench and install the new one. They should slide off and on.

Step 7: Install just the middle nut to hold the new mount in place. DON'T OVER TIGHTEN!

Step 8: Reinstall the shock. Align the shock mount through the holes and LOOSELY reinstall the nuts. You still need to put the bottom shock bolt on. After that go ahead and finally tighten everything.

Step 9: Make sure everything is secure. Reinstall the wheel and torque to recommended settings. After you reinstall the wheel SLOWLY lower the car and double check EVERYTHING. Make sure all the nuts and bolts are tightened and that the shock mounts are secure and that everything is 1000% safe.

Step 10: Clean up.

Congratulations! You have successfully changed your shock mounts!

Thanks for reading!