Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 07-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328CI
Is it okay to put 18" wheels on NON-SPORT coupe?

does anyone know if this will cause a problem with the suspension or any issues at all if you put 18" rims on a non-sport 328ci? I'm asking because I just read this quote from BimmerFest.org FAQ stating

"Typically a +1 treatment yields good results (in cases of a car with sport suspension but 16" wheels, going to 18" may also work for you). I would recommend against putting 18" wheels on a non-sport E46 however as the suspension is not designed for that. The E46 can accommodate tire widths up to 235mm in the front and 255mm in the rear. "

thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 07-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Gone Motoring!

Send a message via Skype™ to ayn
Mein Auto: Smart Fortwo cab
r u sure your 328Ci doesn't have sport suspension?

if you really don't, get in the Bilstein PSS9 coilovers GB and you'll be all set!

--Andrew
Old 07-03-2003, 01:14 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
All coupes have sport suspension standard.
Old 07-04-2003, 03:44 AM

Mein Auto: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
All coupes have sport suspension standard.
Thats what I thought, too. AFAIK, they offer the 18s as an option today, so it shouldnt be a problem. The Tire-Rack is a good source for confirmation though.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Old 07-04-2003, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: 318i
Re: Is it okay to put 18" wheels on NON-SPORT coupe?

Quote:
Originally posted by kyle808
does anyone know if this will cause a problem with the suspension or any issues at all if you put 18" rims on a non-sport 328ci? I'm asking because I just read this quote from BimmerFest.org FAQ stating

"Typically a +1 treatment yields good results (in cases of a car with sport suspension but 16" wheels, going to 18" may also work for you). I would recommend against putting 18" wheels on a non-sport E46 however as the suspension is not designed for that. The E46 can accommodate tire widths up to 235mm in the front and 255mm in the rear. "

thanks!
BMW offers the 18" wheels - the same wheels - as an option on every 3er BMW sold in the UK (except the M3) whether or not it has sports suspension settings. I imagine the ride/handling combination to be poor with this settings - softer springs, no sidewall give, massive grip, heavy wheels, a recipe for bumpstop action, corkscrewing and slow steering - but it's available at least.

I don't know if BMW would then tweak the suspension settings to suit this wheel. they should, but I'm sure they don't (certainly the shocks are exactly the same part according to the ETK, and the spring rate calculation does not take into account wheel type or size, only kerb weight/options).
Old 07-04-2003, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW M3
YES, this fit with no problems at all. We've used 18" wheels for testing on our test vehicles for years. The first two sets of E46 test cars we had 328Is and 328CIs, did not have sport suspensions. This is a very common upgrade and looks great as well! You can see our complete list of fitments in 18" at :

http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR8&...eels/index.jsp

Old 07-04-2003, 10:03 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Sport
Re: Is it okay to put 18" wheels on NON-SPORT coupe?

That FAQ makes no sense. Those bimmerfest.org people...
Why would the stiffer sport suspension be required?
With a lower tire side wall, one would think that the softer suspension would be better...

Last edited by JetBlack330i; 07-04-2003 at 10:05 AM.