Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 07-03-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm Eating My Head

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
Topsider Oil Extractor Comments

I just finished using my Topsider for the first time. I really didn't have any other choice as the seals failed in my jack and I haven't replaced them yet.

Note to self: Continue using jackstands on every jacking occasion.

After assembly which takes 5 mins, I put the extraction tube down the dipstick, released the clamp, got good oil flow and started changing the oil filter.

I kept an eye on the clear tube to ensure continued oil flow and occasionally had to build up the vacumn by repumping. It took about 30 mins start to finish. Plenty of time to get the filter changed and take a good look around the engine compartment.

All in all I like this method better than the conventional way. Less hazard, less mess. It is large enough to hold the 7.9 qts in the 540i and has secure caps for transport to your local recycler.
Ads by Google
Old 07-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Cars
I also use the Topsider method, but now that I'm no longer in the free oil-change portion of my car's life, I don't have the "every 15K" dealer oil change so I will do a traditional oil change every once in a while just to make sure that any heavy stuff exits the engine.

Any takers on the CD/Cassette swap? If your sister ends up buying a cassette deck, let me know as I would be willing to buy her in-dash CD player if the price is right.

For those that didn't read the Roadfly thread (which is most of you). Avionics12 is (or was) looking for a '01+ cassette deck to be swapped for his sister's '03 in-dash CD player. '00 and earlier cassette decks WILL NOT WORK without seriously hacking the wiring harness. The '03 CD player WILL work in '00 and earlier E39s with adapters, but no such adapters are available to do the swap the other direction. See the AV Forum on Roadfly for more specifics.

Bill
Old 07-03-2003, 08:45 PM
I'm Eating My Head

No takers on the CD/Cassette swap (haven't checked tonight) I talked with Sis about hacking into the wiring harness. Last time I'll do that

If I find a willing person with the correct cassette player I'll get in touch with you about buying the CD player. Thanks for doing the research for me
Old 07-03-2003, 10:01 PM
B.O.H.I.C.A

Mein Auto: 325Ci
Here's a tip. Don't jam the tube all the way to the bottom. Leave an inch or so and it will flow quicker.
Old 07-04-2003, 08:12 AM
I'm Eating My Head

Thanks, I'll try to remember that on the next oil change.

Old 07-04-2003, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 540-6spd 10/02 build
Here's my detailed experience with the oil extractor.

www.webs4racers.com/bmw/oil

I'll never change oil the old way again.

I did this in my Tacoma also then pulled the drain plug expecting to get another quart....I didn't get so much as 5 more drops. It litterally sucked the thing dry!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:39 AM
I'm Eating My Head

Nice site you have there Chipster

I knew I was missing something in the oil change routine. Guess I'm heading out to buy a dog.....................
Old 07-05-2003, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 540i6
How deep does the dipstick tube run?

In a 540 (E39), does the dipstick tube run lower in the pan than the drain plug? Why would that be?
I guess the question for the board should be for those of you with e39 540s, are you using (and pleased with) the Griots garage Topsider?

Thanks,
CalvinH
2003 540i6 Black Sapphire Metallic on Sand

P.S. How often do you renew the oil & filter: as indicated by the on board computer, 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, 7500 miles, other.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:32 PM
I'm Eating My Head

I do not know about the depth of the dipstick tube. Still learning

A little clarification seems to be in order. I use the branded Topsider. I purchased mine from USBoat. I do not have the extractor from Griots because the catalog says the capacity is 6.5 liters (6.8 quarts). The Topsider holds a full oil change.

I plan on changing oil every 3K miles. When the SI counts down I'll make the dealer trip for the freebie

Last edited by avionics12; 07-14-2003 at 07:47 PM.