Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 07-06-2003, 06:23 PM
I'm Eating My Head

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
G2 Brake Caliper Painting

Hi Guys and Girls,

I finished painting my brake calipers with the G2 caliper paint today. I decided to stay low key and painted them silver. The final look is good and the instructions are straightforward. A couple of things to pass on about this mod are:

I know why the instructions say the paint must be used in temps between 56-70 deg F. The temp in my garage was 78 and I had a tough time getting finished before the paint "gelled". I had about two and a half hours to work with painting.

The brake cleaner supplied in the kit worked well but I ran out of it before I was finished. Two more cans of CRC BrakeKleen were needed.

The instructions note that you can paint the calipers without removing them from the car. I opted to take the calipers off of the carriers and I also removed the brake carriers so I could paint them on my workbench.

It was a days work but the results are worth it. I think. On second thought I'm not sure Now there is something else to keep clean...........
Old 07-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2001 330i Sport
Old 07-06-2003, 06:50 PM
I'm Eating My Head

Mein Auto: 07 335i Coupe
I'm not as digitally advanced as others here. Yet
Old 07-07-2003, 03:07 AM
Trying to top 1K posts...

Mein Auto: 89 E30 325i, 97 E39 540iA
So, you never removed the caliper hoses? Painted the calipers separated, but not disconnected from the car, and the carriers off the car?

Nice.

If you happened to take any digital pics, I can try and post them for ya. E-mail me.

E39 DIY Site: BMWdiy.INFO
E30 DIY Site: E30.BMWdiy.INFO
BMWTips: BMWTips.com