Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 05-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
Drove the new Z4 Idrive I35 today.

Crevier BMW has a new Z4 dark blue with white interior Idrive I35. I took for a test drive and was very impressed with the handling, power, and most impressive, the new double clutch automatic. I've always been a manual trans driver, but this car may change my mind. The steering wheel has tap shifters on both sides of the steering wheel and the typical console tap shifter which I preferred. Drove it with the top up and down, very tight, nice exhaust sound, and fit and finish are typical BMW solid. Sticker price was just over 60K without Nav (Wow) They are getting an auto 3.0 in about a week which I will test drive and provide a comparison impression.
Advertisement
Old 05-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
$60k, are you F************* kidding me! That's almost $10k over a previous-gen Z4 M! How much was the dealer markup?
Old 05-12-2009, 08:00 PM
///M 'n it up!

Send a message via AIM to wildag
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion@BMS View Post
$60k, are you F************* kidding me! That's almost $10k over a previous-gen Z4 M! ....
I'm right there with you... that price is freakin crazy. Especially when compared with the competition

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/#/vehi...SLK350&yr=2009

I'm not saying that the MB SLK-350 is equal in our standards, but for someone looking at the sales sheets, BMW is high by at least $10k.

DreamingWell.com Web Services
Old 05-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0
While I saw one up close and personal this past weekend, $60k is silly crazy. You can pickup a M3 convertible for slightly more with the current discounts out there and end up with a great deal more content.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 AM
Still Cruisin'

Mein Auto: 2003 325xi, 2001 Z3 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3Papa View Post
While I saw one up close and personal this past weekend, $60k is silly crazy. You can pickup a M3 convertible for slightly more with the current discounts out there and end up with a great deal more content.
Wait a few years, and pick up a good one used. Let some other sucker take the depreciation.

As for the M-DCT, I'm sure it's very impressive. As will be the repair bill when it dies due to lack of maintenance provided by BMW under the "plan."

If I can, I'm never buying another automatic for a car of this price. It's one thing to buy one on a Chevy or something that can be replaced fairly cheaply. Quite another for a tranny that's probably going to break 6k to replace. And when BMW quits offering a manual transmission, I'll quit buying BMWs.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: Lots of different stuff
I'm sure everyone knows that the M-DCT is a manual transmission that the car's electronics control. In fact, it is two manual transmissions combined together with two individual clutches. I've driven this tranny in the M3 many, many miles (One Lap of America) and it is pretty good. It is not flawless as it has some clutch chatter occasionally, and on more than one occasion during slow speed turns at intersections it felt like it paused all acceleration to decide what gear to go into. But overall, it is pretty nice.

I am also apprehensive about the long term maintenance costs associated with this transmission. Obviously we can purchase a CPO agreement as the car goes out of warranty, but if this tranny starts becoming a maintenance hog, the CPO price will skyrocket. Then you're really stuck. I recommended to my dealer to encourage BMW to make the tranny a 100K mile warranty item to provide buyers with "peace of mind". It would make me way less apprehensive about purchasing it.

BTW, my dealer also has a new blue Z4 which is not fully loaded but comes with a $60K+ price tag. BMW is obviously pretty proud of this car. I can't see it ever being a high sales volume item for them at this price.
'14 X1 M sport 3.5 Alpine White
'91 M5 Jet Black
'01 M3 Alpine White
Old 05-13-2009, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 M Sport Coupe
Well said and I agree 100%...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Wait a few years, and pick up a good one used. Let some other sucker take the depreciation.

As for the M-DCT, I'm sure it's very impressive. As will be the repair bill when it dies due to lack of maintenance provided by BMW under the "plan."

If I can, I'm never buying another automatic for a car of this price. It's one thing to buy one on a Chevy or something that can be replaced fairly cheaply. Quite another for a tranny that's probably going to break 6k to replace. And when BMW quits offering a manual transmission, I'll quit buying BMWs.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Still Cruisin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley View Post
I'm sure everyone knows that the M-DCT is a manual transmission that the car's electronics control. In fact, it is two manual transmissions combined together with two individual clutches. I've driven this tranny in the M3 many, many miles (One Lap of America) and it is pretty good. It is not flawless as it has some clutch chatter occasionally, and on more than one occasion during slow speed turns at intersections it felt like it paused all acceleration to decide what gear to go into. But overall, it is pretty nice.

I am also apprehensive about the long term maintenance costs associated with this transmission. Obviously we can purchase a CPO agreement as the car goes out of warranty, but if this tranny starts becoming a maintenance hog, the CPO price will skyrocket. Then you're really stuck. I recommended to my dealer to encourage BMW to make the tranny a 100K mile warranty item to provide buyers with "peace of mind". It would make me way less apprehensive about purchasing it.

BTW, my dealer also has a new blue Z4 which is not fully loaded but comes with a $60K+ price tag. BMW is obviously pretty proud of this car. I can't see it ever being a high sales volume item for them at this price.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a transmission that has as many modes as this one is more than simply a manual controlled by a computer. It's a very sophisticated automatic transmission. If it can be driven in automatic mode without the driver having to do anything to shift gears (and it can be driven this way) it's an automatic, not a manual.

And the more sophisticated it is, the more expensive it's going to be to replace.

Put it this way. As long as you drain the gearbox oil on a pure manual transmission, it's got a way better than average chance of outliving the car. At the most, you'll have to put a couple of clutches in it-not a big or expensive job.

Does anyone truly believe this transmission, no matter how wonderful it might be, has a reasonable chance of outliving the car? Given BMW's non maintenance, does anyone believe that it really has much of a chance of outliving 100k miles?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Quote:
.. And when BMW quits offering a manual transmission, I'll quit buying BMWs.
If BMW quits offering manual transmissions, I don't think there'd be any other brand left offering it, perhaps only Porsche.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaynemosley View Post

A roadster is never a high volume car to begin with. With this one, BMW obviously put a lot of design effort and content into it, and will focus on the exclusivity and profit.

The Z4 has certainly grown up and it's now for people with different tastes.

Last edited by TMQ; 05-13-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Still Cruisin'

[QUOTE=TMQ;4179045]If BMW quits offering manual transmissions, I don't think there'd be any other brand left offering it, perhaps only Porsche.

Oh sure there would be, just not something I'd really want to drive.

I guess the Corvette will probably always have a stick, but I really don't want one of those, unless it's a 1965-66 convertible.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:58 PM

Drove a 6 speed manual 3.0 today

Drove the 3.5 dual clutch a few days ago and today I drove the 3.0 with a manual trans. Power is good with the manual and the shifter is smooth. Decent exhaust sound, not quite as throaty as the 3.5. The 3.0 has 17" tires vs the 18's on the 3.5. Although I didn't take it through the twisty's, I didn't notice much difference, if any, with the 3.0. It had a black exterior and red interior, the red really compliments the car IMO. MSRP was $51.7, still a boat load of money but it was a fun car to drive. I asked if they would deal on the car and the answer was, "make us an offer". At least it sounds like they are not going the "market adjustment" route. Probably because the car is ridiculously priced to begin with.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Unless you live in an area with flat roads avoid the Z4. Every one I have driven drove like a buckboard with very bouncy ride. Worse than an X3 which is pretty bouncy.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbrandon View Post
Unless you live in an area with flat roads avoid the Z4. Every one I have driven drove like a buckboard with very bouncy ride. Worse than an X3 which is pretty bouncy.
And just how many of the new Z4's have you driven?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ###M3### View Post
In 2 years the new Z4 will go for 30k.
In two years the Z4 will sell for what it would sell for today and there will be a new Z2.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM
Lap Dog

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 M Coupe, '01 325i
Curious if the M-DCT tranny offered in the Z4 35 is $2,900, just like the M3? I tried building a Z4 35 through BMWNA's site and did not see that as an option.

'01 325i: Orient Blue/black, SP, M stress bar, UUC sways, TMS camber plates, TMS rear sub reinf kit, CAI, Shark, Borla, Dunlop Direzza 245/40/17 on 17x8 O.Z. Superleggeras

HPDE instructor, Boston Chapter Autocross Co-chair, Boston Bimmer columnist www.boston-bmwcca.org/bimmer/online.aspx

My performance driving site: www.OneHotLap.com
Old 05-22-2009, 04:57 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Exactly.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-S View Post
Exactly.
Of course cars will depreciate over two years, but there's a price to pay to have the latest technology (and fun car), and you can't take it with you. I'm still waiting to see a Brinks Truck at a funeral.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Corvette ZO6
60 grands a lot of money..

Cool looking car on the road...but still 60 g'???
Old 05-28-2009, 08:38 PM
.oo=||=oo.

Mein Auto: Bimmers
Quote:
I'd have to agree about this with regards to the E85 Z4 3.0 sport package with the M54 engine (2003 thru 2005 if I'm not mistaken). All other E85 variations seemed to have pretty good ride characteristics (caveat - never drove the M versions).

Last edited by hmr; 05-28-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Launch Control Ready

Mein Auto: 11 997.2 S & 11 335 ZMZ
The price is insane plain and simple. Good luck selling them in this economy...or any economy for that matter.

I have an 06 3.0si that I hated after about six months. I totally over paid for that car ($51K sticker and leased at $46K). $60 large is insane. I do like the concept of the 3.0TT in a Z4 but that much more than the out going M car is mindboggling.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:41 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmr View Post
I'd have to agree about this with regards to the E85 Z4 3.0 sport package with the M54 engine (2003 thru 2005 if I'm not mistaken). All other E85 variations seemed to have pretty good ride characteristics (caveat - never drove the M versions).
I have a 2004 3.0i non-sport (17" wheels). The ride improved greatly when I got rid of the run-flats. I do think they adjusted the suspension in late 2005 MY, to have better ride characteristics with run flats. I have heard that changing the run-flats on the 3.0i sport makes a big difference also.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 06-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
note my sig, I have both the Z4 and the X3
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Slow But Speeding...

Mein Auto: 09 and 11 e90's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
In two years the Z4 will sell for what it would sell for today and there will be a new Z2.
+1

People seem to forget that the Z4 has been pushed up a little to make room for the Z2. The Z2 will fit where the Z4 was. Same as the X3 being pushed up to make room for the X1.

- J
Old 06-11-2009, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i/530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmr View Post
My non-sport '04 Z4 3.0i was so bouncy and prone to tramlining it was really pretty dangerous. Replacing the run-flat tires with normal ones got rid of all those bad handling characteristics and made it a pleasure to drive instead of a daily wrestling match.

I later replaced the suspension with H&R sport springs and Koni adjustable sport shocks and the ride and dampening got even more controlled compared to the factory setup...much more like the Z4M (the road stance too). This combo is a great fit with the
Z4 and I highly recommend it.

Those high prices on the new Z4 could be good for the resale value of the earlier series. When Porsche raised the price of their 944 by $10K back in the late-80's it boosted the used market quite a bit.