Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: '09 335d premium/sport
09 335 xi vs 335d

I currently drive an IS 350 sport package. Am seriously considering a 335. Have driven both xi and d and though different am impressed by both cars. I live in an area with considerable winter driving. Have fared well in my RWD IS with no worries driving to the ski hills etc. Looking for input regarding the x-drive vs RWD (only avail on 335d). Do I need x drive and therefore the xi? Appreciate any input. Can't really find anything regarding a comparison of the two models.
Ads by Google
Old 06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
BMW d Driver

Mein Auto: e46 M3, 335d
You can compare the 335i vs. xi to try to get an idea of AWD vs. RWD performance on the 335.

I went for the d and live in MN. If anything, I have heard with good winter tires the RWD is just as good if not slightly better at times than the AWD with All Seasons. I have not wintered yet to see, but I am hoping I can make it with just the All Seasons as we dont get THAT much snow and only usually a few days a winter.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i sedan, sport paddles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
You can compare the 335i vs. xi to try to get an idea of AWD vs. RWD performance on the 335.

I went for the d and live in MN. If anything, I have heard with good winter tires the RWD is just as good if not slightly better at times than the AWD with All Seasons. I have not wintered yet to see, but I am hoping I can make it with just the All Seasons as we dont get THAT much snow and only usually a few days a winter.
Tires are the most important part of the equation, thats for sure. A good snow tire will stop and grip alot better than all seasons, AWD is a distant 2nd to Tires in winter weather.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:50 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.anger View Post
I currently drive an IS 350 sport package. Am seriously considering a 335. Have driven both xi and d and though different am impressed by both cars. I live in an area with considerable winter driving. Have fared well in my RWD IS with no worries driving to the ski hills etc. Looking for input regarding the x-drive vs RWD (only avail on 335d). Do I need x drive and therefore the xi? Appreciate any input. Can't really find anything regarding a comparison of the two models.
Why cant you get an x-drive diesal? The engine and the suspension/tranny are independent systems.

If it is a matter of "they don't have it on stock" - well you are buying brand new, order what you want and tell them to stuff the stock.

If it's an issue that you can't get that combination then figure out what is more important. If you REALLY need the x-drive due to weather then safety trumps money ANY day of the week.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 AM

Agree that tires are important. All season does not equal winter. I have a set of Blizzaks for my IS and it goes pretty much anywhere. I would never get a Lexus 250 AWD over my 350 it is beautiful in the snow. I am leaning towards the d. The feedback from MN helps. Thanks.

Last edited by dr.anger; 06-12-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post

We need to compare apples to apples. If you are comparing x-drive to rwd then you need to be using the same tires. Given that x-drive is better then rwd for traction.

Most people grab all seasons because they do not have the space, time/patience, or money to change out tires twice a year.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 AM
BMW CCA Member #422645

Mein Auto: '09 335i xDrive Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Why cant you get an x-drive diesal? The engine and the suspension/tranny are independent systems.

If it is a matter of "they don't have it on stock" - well you are buying brand new, order what you want and tell them to stuff the stock.

If it's an issue that you can't get that combination then figure out what is more important. If you REALLY need the x-drive due to weather then safety trumps money ANY day of the week.
xDrive is not offered on the 335d at this time. Nor is the D available as a coupe (if that matters).

Bob
Paddles | iDrive | Comfort Access | Logic7 | iPod | Smartphone | Sirius | PDC | 18" style 189's
]

Follow me on Twitter: Montego335xi
Old 06-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i sedan
Throw some winter tires on there and you will be golden. As far as auto sedans go.... 335d is the best of the best...45mpg ohhhlala
Old 06-12-2009, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.anger View Post
If you're hanging tough in Calgary with RWD right now, can't see how you'd do worse with the 335d as long as you have a good set of snow tires.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:32 AM
BMW d Driver

Mein Auto: e46 M3, 335d
Quote:

The 335d is ONLY offered as a RWD Automatic right now. Probably because of the torque would be my guess. It also is only in a E90 (sedan).

Quote:
We need to compare apples to apples. If you are comparing x-drive to rwd then you need to be using the same tires. Given that x-drive is better then rwd for traction.

Most people grab all seasons because they do not have the space, time/patience, or money to change out tires twice a year.
Obviously, and obviously AWD will be better in the snow with the same tires.

What an interesting comparison is though is All Seasons on the AWD vs. Winter Tires on the RWD because we know the AWD with All Seasons is ok in the snow. So if the RWD with Winter Tires is slightly better than the AWD with All Seasons in the snow we know it is probably capable of handling the snow.

I dont think anyone is debating whether or not the AWD is better than RWD in the snow w/the same tires...it clearly is.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:57 PM
Not a real doctor.

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
You'll be fine with the RWD diesel. Just fine. I'd go for it. Gas prices are on the way back up and premium is now more expensive than diesel.

Plus, the diesel, from what I understand, is built like a tank. 45 mph, loads of torque, RWD (which can be more fun in the snow if you've got the room to play)... what's not to like?

If they had had the diesel in the coupe with MT, I would have gotten it.

'09 328i Coupe: MT, Monaco Blue, Black Dakota, Dark Burl, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, CA, Logic7, HD Radio, IPod
Ordered: 14Jan09; Delivered: 24Feb09 from Stratham, NH BMW
Old 06-12-2009, 04:03 PM
Feverish Fanatic

Mein Auto: E90 330i
Yeah RWD with snow tires are fine in the winter.
Old 06-12-2009, 08:51 PM
SECOND IS NOT A GEAR

Mein Auto: 335d,Supercharged Maraudr
The 335d will apply torue to the wheels is a much more contolled application making it awesome in the snow plus almost 600mi on a tank...What could be better...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 AM

Thanks all. Appreciate the input.