Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-11-2009, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: '09 335xi
2009 335xi - Mods I'm Thinking Of

I've had my car for six months now and have put on about 14k miles. Love it so far.

I'm thinking about doing some performance upgrades and wanted to get peoples thoughts on the following. I've searched the threads regarding upgrades but didn't see anything regarding this particular combination.

Cold Air Intake System
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/xcart...?productid=105

Downpipes
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/xcart...?productid=101

Exhaust
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/xcart...&cat=33&page=1

Chip
http://www.burgertuning.com/jb3pnp.html

Is anyone familiar with the Intake/Downpipe/Exhaust manufacturer?
Also, regarding the chip, I'm not sure which one to get. I'm thinking why not just go with the Stage 3 PnP

Any suggestions for alternatives? Anything I should think about before doing this stuff?

Thanks for any advice!
Ads by Google
Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
WOW, 14k miles in 6 months!?! You must have really enjoyed your car! Good for you

2009 335i Coupe, Titanium Silver Metallic, Coral Red Dakota Leather, Gray Poplar trim, Premium package and Sports package with 19s.

Previously Owned: 2006 Audi A4 S-Line Quattro with all the belles and whistles and a B5 Imola Yellow Audi S4
Old 06-11-2009, 04:50 PM

Yes, I'm very happy with it so far. I'm on the road all the time and wanted something comfortable and sporty to drive, so this seemed like the perfect choice.

Had a HPFP replaced about a month ago, but other than that it has been great!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 335i sedan
UR is a reputable brand, and I have JB+ from Burger. Are you worried about warranty? The JB3 can be popped in/out when you go in for service so no biggie there. The other stuff is gonna be hard to hide if you need service.
'09 335i 6MT Sedan: AW / Saddle / Alum / Nav / Premium / Sport / CA / Sirius / 35% / Black Kidneys / HPFP #3
Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 AM
JSFG

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 335i
Make sure you don't cut up the factory exhaust too much if you don't have to.

2009 E90 335i Manual, Jet Black, Al Trim, Sport Pkg., Logic7, USB, Sirius, Heated Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Comfort Access (Ordered 3/9/2009, Built 3/25/09, Arrived 4/24/09)

Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 PM

MattieB - I'm not not worried about the warranty. At the rate I'm putting on miles the warranty will be up in 1.5 years. I was more just wondering if what I plan on doing is a good combination if I am looking for some more horsepower.

Someone mentioned that installing downpipes wouldn't make much difference if the stock exhaust is still on, which is part of the reason I thought I'd do the exhaust as well.

Oldtoe - I wouldn't mind trying to do this stuff myself. I have access to a lift and there are people at the shop who'll help if I need it. From what I've read, everything is bolt on, no welding required and the JB3 is just plug and play.

I've done some basic car work. Brakes, rotors, shocks. Replaced a transmission and engine in my old Saab. Would these mods be to ambitious to try myself? Any idea where I can find some helpful info?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2009, 04:02 AM

Mein Auto: e92 335xi
Downpipes in the x-drive are a challenging install. From my understanding you need to drop the subframe and probably disassemble right drive shaft in order to remove OEM DPs (that or cut the stock DPs to get them out). I am considering doing this but am pretty intimidated by the install.

Adding a tune, upgrading the crappy OEM suspension with KW V3 (or similar coilover), adding aftermarket FMIC and a catback exhaust might be the most sensible route. Upgrading the suspension eliminates the annoying floaty suspension which is the achilles heal of the xdrive models, and is really important if you boost power output with a tune.

Last edited by Elegiac; 06-13-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5
I agree. With an xi suspension is a must when it comes to the upgrade list. Should be very close to the top if not first.

Gone and forgotten: E92 335xi.
Old 06-13-2009, 03:57 PM

I actually thought about the suspension. Wasn't sure if it would be more important to get to that before the upgrades or not, but from what I've read the general concensus seems to be that a better suspension is a must with upgrades.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 550i
I would love to know your real life numbers and feeling when these are done... Let us know.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: mercedes
Anyone out there know how to convert the sport supspension in the 335i to the 335xi. Is it very difficult? We just purchased a 335xi with sport but it did not have the same feel as the 335i with the sport package. Please advise.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:35 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: I hate PM. Email me!
We can help... What are your goals with the car?
BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: '93 BMW 325i
What do you all think about the Dinan mods for the 335xi ? - ie. engine, suspension, brakes? I would probably go eisenmann racing quad tips for the exhaust. Honestly I would only do the rear section. I like it to be relatively quiet when cruising.