Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mylou123 View Post
lol, well I'm really careful when I'm driving now because I've had bad experiences with speeding so I may be a bit biased towards this issue. Anyways, my point was, if anyone feels the urge to speed by all means do so. But keep in mind, you are giving the cop a reason to pull you over and write you a big fat ticket. Now if you think that is a risk worth taking then by all means. You never know when you might run into a cop and even those little gadgets that supposedely detects radar guns miles away are unreliable most of time. Personally, I like to play it safe and stick within the speed limit. Of course, when I'm at the track...then thats a different story and that is the primary reason why I bought a 335i. It can be used as a track car, and also be practical enough to use as a DD
I am glad to hear it!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 04-16-2014, 10:42 AM
JimK

Mein Auto: '02 M5, Chevy Blazer
Keep it under ten over or move with the traffic, do not lead nor follow, stay in he middle.
Ret Sgt CPD
Old 04-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKnight View Post
Keep it under ten over or move with the traffic, do not lead nor follow, stay in he middle.
Ret Sgt CPD
That's been my strategy for over 30 years and I have only been nabbed for speeding when I ignored it.

Also, I use what I call the "Shield Method". When I'm on the Interstate I wait until some yahoo comes blasting by at 20 or more mph over the limit and then I let them get almost out of visual range and shadow them about a 1/4 mile back.

Then you keep an eye in the rear view for the Fuzz. In 30 years I have never been picked off from behind while doing the sheild method. And I have seen many "shields" get popped as I cruised past unmolested.

Last edited by BashedBarrique; 04-16-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Tolerance level here is 10km
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i
2013 VW Golf R - Rising Metallic Blue
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
Old 04-16-2014, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330I ZSP
Radar detectors illegal in VA
Old 04-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: '00 Z-3 '06 325ixT
Go here www.speedtrap.org

Your chances of a ticket depends on the greed of local law enforcement. Some areas of Florida (Starke, Waldo, Baldwin) are notorious speed traps. Other area like I-95 around the southern part of the state you'll get passed by 4 cotton-head old ladies doin' 107 on their way to a Bridge game.

Common sense, radio down, eyes up, situational awareness and a good radar detector all help.

Sneak don't streak. Drive invisible. When Officer Friendly has to describe your car to the judge and they both laugh, you're screwed. One of the secrets to rapid transit is control of your testosterone........when you attempt to show LEO how big your wee-wee, the officer is gonna show you how big HIS pistol is.

I-75 from Atlanta to 20 miles inside Florida you are the lowest person on the law enforcement financial food chain.

Sometimes the speed limit is all you're gonna get.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011/335i
My speed constantly varies.
I back off at hill crests, entrance ramps, etc. Speed up when I can see for distance, etc.
Unless a rabbit comes by fast, then I follow 10-lengths behind and don't worry about what speed, just hope that I am luckier than him

2011 335i Sport/Premium/cold. Black-on-Black, Jack I LOVE this frickin' car!!!!
2007 Suzuki GSXR1000 WERA SS-spec race bike
---------------------------------------------------------
89 SAAB 900T
92 SAAB 9000T sedan
94 Toyota Supra Turbo
95 Z28
05 SAAB 9-3 2.0T
Old 04-16-2014, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328i xdrive
I know someone that got pulled over being the last driver in the left lane. She asked the cop why he pulled her over for what everyone else in front was doing. He said she was the only one he could catch.

photo DSC09440.jpg
Old 04-16-2014, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westech View Post

Your chances of a ticket depends on the greed of local law enforcement. Some areas of Florida (Starke, Waldo, Baldwin) are notorious speed traps. Other area like I-95 around the southern part of the state you'll get passed by 4 cotton-head old ladies doin' 107 on their way to a Bridge game.

Common sense, radio down, eyes up, situational awareness and a good radar detector all help.

Sneak don't streak. Drive invisible. When Officer Friendly has to describe your car to the judge and they both laugh, you're screwed. One of the secrets to rapid transit is control of your testosterone........when you attempt to show LEO how big your wee-wee, the officer is gonna show you how big HIS pistol is.

I-75 from Atlanta to 20 miles inside Florida you are the lowest person on the law enforcement financial food chain.

Oh please. There's nothing greedy about their enforcement of the law. If you don't speed you don't have to worry about their greed. I suppose you feel the "speed trap" in Hampton, Florida was greedy?
Old 04-16-2014, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc3r View Post
I cruise at +8 over the limit if I have good visibility. Otherwise its with the flow or at limit. I dont speed in residential... ever. Granted the police rarely patrol residential.
dont be so sure, if its a cut thru they will be there waiting on you especially where they put tons of 4 way stops at every intersection. Hate that crap!
Old 04-16-2014, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
In my opinion and in my town, I rarely see cops during rush hour traffice, its like they go hide somewhere or are involved in the rush hour crashes, usually the end of the month I see more cops giving tickets, got to get that quota to pay for their salaries and the courts and the cars. 5 miles over in a 55 and you are most likely OK since most people are doing 65, in a 70 again 75 you can get away with, if you get a ticket for 15 over posted, and go to court they drop it to 9 miles over so in theory 8 miles over and they are wasting their time

in town you best do the posted limit and speed at your own risk
Old 04-16-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Oh please. There's nothing greedy about their enforcement of the law. If you don't speed you don't have to worry about their greed. I suppose you feel the "speed trap" in Hampton, Florida was greedy?
You're constructing a response based on a pair of false premises. First you assert that greed has nothing to do with law enforcement. In St. Petersburg, Fl (my hometown) the city had several red-light cameras erected. The city traffic department was then found to have shortened the yellow light duration time, These cameras generated far more revenue that having uniformed officers perform the same task. In the speed traps I mentioned, especially Waldo, speed limit signs are placed in such a way they can't be seen from the roadway, they are placed in such close proximity (i.e. 55 mph, 45 mph, 35 mph, 25 mph) that the motorist doing the posted speed limit can't obey the brake safely to comply with the posted speed limit signs. School zone speed limits are enforced during nights, weekends etc. when schools are not in session. AAA makes it a point to advise their members of speed trap locations. In one case the municipality is so dishonest the state legislature is preparing to un-incorporate the town. When towns receive 70+% of their operating revenue for their operation expenses you can pretty much assume safety isn't their primary focus.

An overwhelming number of LEO are legitimate hero's and I willingly offer my respect but don't give me indigestable crap that 1.) there is no greed involved in law enforcement as recently a FHP trooper admitted to quotas and 2.) not speeding makes you immune to speeding tickets. In front of a judge the word of the LEO is ALWAYS deemed the truth.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
You're constructing a response based on a pair of false premises. First you assert that greed has nothing to do with law enforcement. In St. Petersburg, Fl (my hometown) the city had several red-light cameras erected. The city traffic department was then found to have shortened the yellow light duration time, These cameras generated far more revenue that having uniformed officers perform the same task. In the speed traps I mentioned, especially Waldo, speed limit signs are placed in such a way they can't be seen from the roadway, they are placed in such close proximity (i.e. 55 mph, 45 mph, 35 mph, 25 mph) that the motorist doing the posted speed limit can't obey the brake safely to comply with the posted speed limit signs. School zone speed limits are enforced during nights, weekends etc. when schools are not in session. AAA makes it a point to advise their members of speed trap locations. In one case the municipality is so dishonest the state legislature is preparing to un-incorporate the town. When towns receive 70+% of their operating revenue for their operation expenses you can pretty much assume safety isn't their primary focus.

An overwhelming number of LEO are legitimate hero's and I willingly offer my respect but don't give me indigestable crap that 1.) there is no greed involved in law enforcement as recently a FHP trooper admitted to quotas and 2.) not speeding makes you immune to speeding tickets. In front of a judge the word of the LEO is ALWAYS deemed the truth.
I am doing no such thing. If you're speeding you're breaking the law and getting caught doing so is not greed.

And spare me the whole whining about speed limit sign placement in a thread titled "What is the safer speed (above the speed limit ..to avoid a ticket??" At least the OP has the decency to acknowledge he's breaking the law.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
I am doing no such thing. If you're speeding you're breaking the law and getting caught doing so is not greed.

And spare me the whole whining about speed limit sign placement in a thread titled "What is the safer speed (above the speed limit ..to avoid a ticket??" At least the OP has the decency to acknowledge he's breaking the law.
So you're saying that a fraudulent set of traffic controls designed specifically to entrap a motorist is acceptable? That you should be ticketed for not obeying a speed limit that you don't know you've exceeded until you see it?

I'd be curious to your reaction to a ticket you received for exceeding a posted speed limit when you couldn't see the sign.

The OP asks what is the safer speed above the speed limit to avoid a ticket.........the only answer is there is no answer.

And. like the OP, I readily admit to speeding when it's reasonable, prudent, and damned fun to do so.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLBoss View Post
There is no "safe" speed above the limit. That's why they call it a limit. Anything above and you takes your chances although 8 or less over will likely go unscathed...
Agree. 'Acceptably fast' is simply the 6mph over, which allows for inaccurate speedometers as a defense.
I generally told our daughters "follow the 80/20 rule...if 20% are going FASTER than you, it really does not matter that you also are 10mph over, as you are not the worst of the offenders! If you are the FASTEST half of the speed limit offenders you WILL BE CITED, if someone is watching that portion of highway!" It have seen one solo CHP car pull over MULTIPLE cars all cruising well over the speed limit! BTW, when daughters got tickets, they admitted to not being within my 80/20 rule!

Last edited by wilt; 04-16-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Ret Sgt CPD

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Ret Sgt CPD
Quote:

Your chances of a ticket depends on the greed of local law enforcement.

Sneak don't streak. Drive invisible.

The above two responses pretty much sum up my motto: "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine."

In a large state like Texas, with many small communities, the evidence of the "opportunity" for local law enforcement is never so evident as when small municipality LEOs hang out in strategic locations along the interstate, with the sole purpose of making the monthly quota in traffic fines.

Sunny, you live in Denver, do you have the occasion to drive south to C. Springs? Is Castle Rock still the "speed trap" it used to be (with the State Highway Patrol station strategically positioned with its parking lot leading directly onto an on ramp of I-25)?

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
So you're saying that a fraudulent set of traffic controls designed specifically to entrap a motorist is acceptable? That you should be ticketed for not obeying a speed limit that you don't know you've exceeded until you see it?
Not at all. However I suspect what you call fraudulent really translates into "I don't agree with". If you feel there is fraud involved then you have a legitimate defense and you should take steps to correct it. In your earlier post you've identified what you believe to be "fraudulent" placement of the speed limit signs. What steps have you taken to hold the government accountable for said fraud?

Quote:
I'd be curious to your reaction to a ticket you received for exceeding a posted speed limit when you couldn't see the sign.
From a legal perspective a driver should be cited only for traffic infractions they commit. However I recognize the system is not perfect and citations will be issued in error. With that said the systems imperfections works to a drives advantage and not to their disadvantage. Even if they were to be unfairly issued a speeding citation they should chalk it up as "karma" for all those times they didn't get caught. Personally I wouldn't be happy about receiving a such a citation. However if I am to expect perfect enforcement then I should be willing to write a check for all the times I didn't get caught.

Quote:
The OP asks what is the safer speed above the speed limit to avoid a ticket.........the only answer is there is no answer.

And. like the OP, I readily admit to speeding when it's reasonable, prudent, and damned fun to do so.
The OP asked a question about willfully breaking the speed limit. You jump in with the whole "The government is picking on us...we're merely driving down the road minding our own business and their traps unjustly ensnare us". Sorry but I'd say in the vast majority of instances a driver was exceeding the speed limit without any fraudulent, nefarious action by the government. At least the OP has the maturity to acknowledge as much.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
was told by Houston traffic officer that your generally safe at 10 over due to the margin of error ( 10% or so ) inherent to the radar/laser. that being said, depends on where you are. got pulled over for 52 in a 45 in friendswood. not uncommon there. a few places like that here. Shenandoah tx, 600 or so residents, 18 new patrol units and a way big courthouse. a nice one at that.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
I commute back and forth on the Long Island Expressway daily. I've on more than one occasion cruised past police (also driving down the LIE) at 80 mph. These cops pretty much know me--I'm just that guy in the Montego Blue BMW. "He always drives pretty fast, but he doesn't do stupid aggressive sh!t. Whatever."

Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Better with Butter

Now, having just posted that, I'm certain I'll be getting a ticket during tomorrow's commute.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot. Starting tomorrow, the New York State police departments will be enforcing "speed week"--where they're cracking down on speeders and aggressive drivers, through April 24th.

I'm most definitely staying under 10 over the limit.

Last edited by galahad05; 04-16-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Now, having just posted that, I'm certain I'll be getting a ticket during tomorrow's commute.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot. Starting tomorrow, the New York State police departments will be enforcing "speed week"--where they're cracking down on speeders and aggressive drivers, through April 24th.

I'm most definitely staying under 10 over the limit.
I'd be interested to know what speeds people have been caught driving? Anyone care to share? I was nabbed for 120 MPH in a 65 MPH (I-80 in Wyoming). Ironically the ticket was $120 and no points on my license (out of state).
Old 04-17-2014, 06:45 AM
Better with Butter

I had one speeding ticket for going 70 in a 65 just north of Dallas TX, about....15 years ago I guess. The officer cut me a break--I was going like 76 and he'd caught me at it.

Driving a Mustang GT by the way, back then.

That was my one and only speeding ticket ever.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
The above two responses pretty much sum up my motto: "9 you're fine, 10 you're mine."

In a large state like Texas, with many small communities, the evidence of the "opportunity" for local law enforcement is never so evident as when small municipality LEOs hang out in strategic locations along the interstate, with the sole purpose of making the monthly quota in traffic fines.

Sunny, you live in Denver, do you have the occasion to drive south to C. Springs? Is Castle Rock still the "speed trap" it used to be (with the State Highway Patrol station strategically positioned with its parking lot leading directly onto an on ramp of I-25)?
I make that drive regularly as it's the route I take to visit my immediate family. In fact I'll be making that drive on Sunday for the Easter holiday. As for Castle Rock being a speed trap it's no more so than any other town. At least not in my experience. The State Patrol station you speak of is long gone.

With that said years ago I, along with two other vehicles, got nabbed outside of Castle Rock. We were spotted from the air...they had three officers standing by the side of the road as we drove by (doing the speed limit of course), they jumped in their cars and pulled all three of us over for speeding. So much for the "rabbit".
Old 04-17-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
I had one speeding ticket for going 70 in a 65 just north of Dallas TX, about....15 years ago I guess. The officer cut me a break--I was going like 76 and he'd caught me at it.

Driving a Mustang GT by the way, back then.

That was my one and only speeding ticket ever.
I haven't received a speeding ticket in years. It's been so long I can't recall. My secret: I've learned speeding doesn't really get you to your destination faster unless you can do it for a really long time (such as a cross country trip).