Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-15-2009, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.I.M.POSSIBLE View Post
You could basically put it anywhere you want given the correct cable length.
I guess I wasn't sure how easy it would be to route a cable there and was hoping someone already did and could comment... Thanks though.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: B25
I have the DICE and I love it!
Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 04 325Ci
I just picked up this aux cable for bavauto and am wondering how easy the install is. Do I remove the stereo and hook it up to the back? What should I be looking for on the back of the radio? How do I even remove teh radio? I have some technical skill so i'm sure I can do this myself. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayn81 View Post
I just picked up this aux cable for bavauto and am wondering how easy the install is. Do I remove the stereo and hook it up to the back? What should I be looking for on the back of the radio? How do I even remove teh radio? I have some technical skill so i'm sure I can do this myself. Any info would be appreciated.
See here:

http://my330i.com/mod26.php

2006 325Ci
Old 06-18-2009, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 330I ray ray ray...
out of all the opt i looked at, changing the HU was the best choice for me, i see the playlist on my new HU it charges the ipod and controls everything, the ipod stays in the glove box,.. am not anal about the stock look.. plus the apine looks good IMO, plus with the new HU everything sounds better..

thanks
Old 06-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Mod the driver

Mein Auto: BMW
Cheap and works

I have the AUX cable in my car with nav. Cable goes to glove box and I have a mic cable that stretches to the drivers side. Works fine, but until I get the iPhone with Pandora, I don't listen to the iPod much. Unlocking the Touch while driving to advance songs is annoying.

2003 330i ZSP 6MT
1995 M3
Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto: 330I ray ray ray...
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon325e View Post
I have the AUX cable in my car with nav. Cable goes to glove box and I have a mic cable that stretches to the drivers side. Works fine, but until I get the iPhone with Pandora, I don't listen to the iPod much. Unlocking the Touch while driving to advance songs is annoying.
thats what am talking about, my friend have the aux for his merc, and he have to pick the ipod to do everything, to me that just sucks, with my alpine i get the same menu as the ipod, so naving for a song is easy,..

Last edited by sonspot; 06-18-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:30 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i
Quote:
Correction.. All cars past like 2000 have the jack. Only 9/02 and higher radios have the aux feature. It doesn;t matter about the build date of your car, just the manu. date of the radio.

OP has a 2004 bTW so he's good.
wait, now I'm a bit confused. So all e46's have the AUX jack in the back but only 03 and newer have the aux control feature? or all e46 radios have the aux jack but only 03 and newer can actually use them?

Not really a huge issue with me if it dosnt work but I'd love to be able to get some iphone connectivity with my 99 328i
Old 06-19-2009, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: 05 X5, 04 S430, 02 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by necrophielia View Post
wait, now I'm a bit confused. So all e46's have the AUX jack in the back but only 03 and newer have the aux control feature? or all e46 radios have the aux jack but only 03 and newer can actually use them?

Not really a huge issue with me if it dosnt work but I'd love to be able to get some iphone connectivity with my 99 328i
Then you need to change your radio to a newer verison and you'll be set. Check Ebay. IT must be a 09/02 or later model radio. Otherwise to solve the cunfusion, many radio's have the wo sets of small terminal in the pbbck. the first set is for the cd changer and the second set is for the Aux cable. Bad thing is that even with the connection in the back, the software that gives you the Aux soft key on the radio controls starts at 09/02 build.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328i
Quote:
Then you need to change your radio to a newer verison and you'll be set. Check Ebay. IT must be a 09/02 or later model radio. Otherwise to solve the cunfusion, many radio's have the wo sets of small terminal in the pbbck. the first set is for the cd changer and the second set is for the Aux cable. Bad thing is that even with the connection in the back, the software that gives you the Aux soft key on the radio controls starts at 09/02 build.
got it, thanks. I'll just wait till I after I overhaul the cooling system and can get the double din adapter to install the deck from my last car (pioneer avic f700bt). I miss having a touch screen gps anyways.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
The aux input wiring may be cheap but that doesn't charge your ipod at the same time to :-\. daaaaaamnit.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 06-19-2009, 01:16 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
I keep thinking about picking up a DICE, but since I have a 2005 car that will play MP3 discs, I'll probably just save my money.

One of the better stock audio system setups I've seen in a car of this class is in my brother's 2007 A4 (B7), which has an in-dash six disc CD changer that will play MP3s right off the disc. Not only this, but it has a large display screen that will read out the name of the song and allow you to cycle through album name, artist name etc, and a full featured menu system that will let you browse the disc as such.

The BMW headunit, for the sake of comparison, will still allow you to select songs by folder/album (it works the same way the CD changer does, where the first number is the folder/album instead of the disc and the second is the track number), but it won't show the name of the folder or the tracks that it's playing.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:18 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
I keep thinking about picking up a DICE, but since I have a 2005 car that will play MP3 discs, I'll probably just save my money.

One of the better stock audio system setups I've seen in a car of this class is in my brother's 2007 A4 (B7), which has an in-dash six disc CD changer that will play MP3s right off the disc. Not only this, but it has a large display screen that will read out the name of the song and allow you to cycle through album name, artist name etc, and a full featured menu system that will let you browse the disc as such.

The BMW headunit, for the sake of comparison, will still allow you to select songs by folder/album (it works the same way the CD changer does, where the first number is the folder/album instead of the disc and the second is the track number), but it won't show the name of the folder or the tracks that it's playing.
Actually the BMW navi will show you the names.
You have to burn the CD properly with the tags edited etc...
And make sure that there compatible with the CD player
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 06-19-2009, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: B25
Quote:

I thought the same thing. And one day I finally ordered it. And its amazing. If you get it, you wont regret it...
Old 06-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:

Seen the E9x system? USB port, plug in any thumb drive, ipod, external laptop hard drive, etc and you can do the same thing you describe with the audi audio system.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325i & 00 323Ci
You can always lengthen the cables that come in the kit, which is made to go from the back of the in-dash radio to the left side of the glove box. If the jack is mounted where the DSC etc buttons are, then the cord gets in the way of the shifter. One guy mounted it in the front of the little rectangular (toll token?) box behind the cupholders, but said the clearances to the cupholders were very tight but do-able.
If you have the Nav system, they also have a kit for that with a different jack.

If it wasn't for the special jacks, you could do it yourself for about $4. $1.69 for the Mini in-panel stereo jack, 3 wires about 2' long, some solder, shrink tubing, and the connectors.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325i
Good morning and sorry for the question. I just purchased an 04 325i and am looking to put the Aux Input switch into the vehicle. Based on the recommendation of this forum I am going to purchase the Aux cable from Bavauto. I was thinking of mounting it in the cubby hole underneath radio. Are their any better suggestions on where to place it? Or will I encounter any issues doing it there? Also if you've installed this already does anyone have any pictures they can post? Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325i
Thanks you guys. I bought the :eBay, eLuka, $36.99+shipping, pics below (inc. in-glovebox installation):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...fAudioQ5fVideo

I'll receive next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone know how to remove the stereo?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:26 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by soroush3344 View Post
Thanks you guys. I bought the :eBay, eLuka, $36.99+shipping, pics below (inc. in-glovebox installation):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...fAudioQ5fVideo

I'll receive next week. I'll let you know how it goes. Anyone know how to remove the stereo?
I received mine last week, from BavAuto. Together with it (and a set of Pagid Red brakepads), I got the puller kit consisting in six nylon tools that allow you to remove all the trim pieces without marring them. Worked so well that I'm tearing apart the driver's door panel this weekend cause I am sick and tired of the creaking from the armrest. But I digress... Here's the relevant link I had posted earlier in this same thread:

http://my330i.com/mod26.php

Note that he did it on a car with standard transmission, so there's more room to maneouver the console pieces. If you have a Steptronic, you have to disconnect three cables that energize the shift indicator LEDs, before you can move the shift boot out of the way. That is, of course, if you want to put the jack next to the DSC button up front. If you put it in the glovebox it will be way easier.

After you plug the radio head unit back in, you may have to reset the AREA setting in service mode. Mine reset to EUROPE. More info, see here.

2006 325Ci
Old 08-07-2009, 10:18 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
My son and I installed the eLuka aux input last week (he did most of the work). The most difficult part was removing the interior trim pieces to get at the radio. The stock eLuka cable connecting the radio to the aux jack is fairly short, would be a stretch to put the jack behind the cup holders, though as the poster noted above, you could extend the cable. We installed it on the panel w/ the DSC button, etc. TRICK - don't use the square panel that says "Auxiliary Input" that fits around the jack. It is shiny black and sticks out on the dash. It is not needed. Just install the jack, very clean look. Yes, you have to drill a hole in your panel. Sound is good!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
on ebay for 100 buck these is a ipod connector where you can connect it in the truck by the cd player if you have one and bam! it works like a charm!
Old 08-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: M3-Imola Red Interior
I still use cd's. I'm ghetto.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:04 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
FM transmitter in NYC is super fail
+1 same for Chicago. In the big cities, there are no open spots in the FM band, so the transmitter is always fighting one station or other. I only use mine now on road trips when away from home.

Going the DICE route once I get motivated.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 AM
New to it all...

Mein Auto: 08 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post

Going the DICE route once I get motivated.
The DICE system rocks, and it's so easy that even I can install it (read: very, very simple).

Old 03-22-2011, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalZHP View Post
I installed my auxillary port myself. Paid under $50 for it too online. If you can change your own oil, you can install this. I tried an FM transmitter for about 30 seconds before I realized the auxillary port was the way to go for sound quality.
Any tutorial you followed to install this? I already have a Dension Icelink+ hooked up to the cd changer spot even though I only have a single cd disc. Will installing this mess up the iPod integration? Do I have to choose one or the other? Thanks.

Last edited by nabilalk; 03-22-2011 at 12:49 PM.