Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: e82
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
My problem with the 1 series (in US market guise) is that it has no purpose. Simple as that.

It's too expensive and comes with too many high-level trim options and standard features to be a truly legitimate budget-minded alternative to the 3er. So that argument falls flat. You get the same engines as the 3er cars, and generally the same options, so in effect you're spending a couple grand less for the same thing. That would be great - if the 1 series had four doors or some other equally important measure of practicality (I think the three door hatch is the best model - the back seat is indeed tight for most adults). You're also getting an inferior badge, which is a serious issue to the status-conscious buyers who probably constitute a majority of BMW's customers.

It's too large and heavy to appeal to the "small, light, agile" crowd (at least those who are in their right minds), and certainly in no way resembles the renowned 2002 - or even an E36, really. The 1 series feels about as large as, and noticeably heavier than (and it is - from 100 lbs as a 128i to over 300 lbs in 135i guise), my early production E46 daily driver. Drove them back to back. How can I be "thrilled" with the car when the only real advantage it offers over my aging E46 is a more powerful engine? And next to my 987S? Not even a comparison. Granted, the 1er does drive as well as or better than any other current production BMW, but still falls short in that regard of most older models (even those of fairly recent vintage).

At the end of the day: you're getting a slightly cheaper, slightly smaller, slightly uglier E92 clone that the outside world will ultimately regard as inferior because of its "entry level" image. Take it for what it is.

It's not a poor car - quite decent, in fact. It just doesn't make any real sense.

The US-market 1 series should have been a practical, affordable, fun and super efficient (four cylinder) little car - just like the 2002 that it claims to represent. Think of it as a VW Golf competitor. Had the 1 series come to this market in a simple hatchback trim with four cylinder diesel engines, I would seriously have considered purchasing one. I've liked the 1er diesels I've rented in Germany; they manage to combine some degree of practical fun with a fantastic level of efficiency. That, however, would have stepped on the luxury marque image that BMW works so hard to maintain in this country, so we have what we have.
Yes, if you're looking for a BMW to use as a status symbol then the 1 is probably not for you. You can get a stripped e90 328 for about the same price and the 3 would seem like much more car to the average person. In fact, if you want the most status symbol for your buck you should probably buy a used Merc or 5-series.

If you're buying a car to be something other than a status symbol the 1s becomes much more appealing.

Last edited by Kinu; 06-11-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: 128i - YEAR OF THE 1
The 1 certainly isn't a mass-appeal car. If it were, BMW would be marketing differently. It seems when buyer motivation includes either the words "practical" or "cost" - the buyer dislikes the 1.

When it includes the words "fun" and "want" -- you usually find people who like it.

Ultimately, I like the fact that many people take one look and say "Ich!" I think it's hot, and I'd rather not every Tom Dick and Harry have one.
Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drand View Post
Why I hate the 1 series:

1). It is designed for driving at speeds which greatly exceed US speed limits and will cause me to get speeding tickets. I even had to buy a radar detector which BMW didn't tell me I needed before I bought it.

2). It handles too well. It handles so well that while on ED driving on switchbacks my wife thought she was going to die because we were able to drive around corners much faster than she is used too.

3). I enjoy driving it too much. I am going to exceed the miles on my lease and have to buy more at lease end. I am also going to spend even more money on extra gas.

4). It is driving me nuts to have to wait for it to arrive in the US, I am obsessing about it and this is causing my work to suffer as I sit in meetings and daydream about the wonderful driving while on ED.
lol....great post!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 AM

Mein Auto: 135i
First off I would like to say that I am am going to be leaning in the one series direction as I will be getting a 135i at the end of the month...

I am just curious as to whether this is some kind of initiation from the rest of the BMW community . I found this car to be a great upgrade to my wrx, and since Subaru f'ed up the design and quality of the wrx and sti, I figured I would treat myself and go with a BMW. Im sure they saw the success of the wrx and the competition of the other companies competing in this area/class/price range (ie, WRX, STI, EVO, 128, 135, mazdaspeed 3, etc.), and figured they would get into the action. All I ask as you go down to the dealer check it out in person if you haven't done so already, and test drive it.

I'm also asking that further post state weather they have seen it in person and test drove it, if they don't mind. It might back your opinion with some experience.

Besides, I am always up for some criticism, and thoughts. Proceed...
Old 06-17-2008, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 07 E61 530xiT 2004 E53 X5
I was invited to the 1 series launch/test drive here in Montreal in May. The only car I didn't enjoy as much as the others was the 128i base. I found the understeer was too annoying in hard corners. Now this car may never be tortured in spirited driving, and it is safe enough to avoid cats, balls, clidren etc in emergency situations. So if you're an enthusiast, then some kind of sport package is a must with the 128, or just go and get the 135. The 128 sport and the 135 are liitle rocket ships....they brake well, corner well, accelerate well, steer well....I really enjoyed the 135 with the M package and Active Steering, this car is razor sharp!

I have yet to try the car on Montreal's city roads, so I'm not yet sure about "real world" comfort.

The back seat, yes, is a compromise, but it is in many other coupes as well.

The 1 series is a very specific statement, and I believe it will sell very well.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: M3
I've driven the 135(auto) a few times and the only thing I didn't like was the price. I even thought it was just as much fun as my E46 M3. This is why I will be waiting for an excellent deal on a pre-owned one in about a year. All the negativity on this site about how ugly, overweight, and ridiculous this car is just make me want it more and more. Who likes driving around a car that everyone else already has?
Old 06-21-2008, 04:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 330i, 2007 X3is
I should have never opened this thread....

I own(ed) a 06 330i, a 07 X3is, and am picking up my 135 in 10 days....so there is enough in this thread to pi$$ me off about all of the cars I own.

Ok - I admit the 1 isn't practical, it's a sports car, it isn't suppose to be! If I wanted four doors, a heavier car, with less power, that didn't handle as well, I would have kept my 330i (just sold it yesterday, despite what I just said, I loved that car...)

The 3 series is a sports type car with a general purpose, nothing done excellent, everything done really well. The 1 is a car that is more purpose driven, more of a track car than the 3. Some of us want this - so it does make sense - to me and others like me.

The 1 isn't light, but in today's land of computers, airbags, and comfort technology, it's about as light as I want/ can get for the money with that horsepower and torque. And yes, a couple of hundred pounds makes a difference.

And not to be too off topic - The old X3 (which I owned, an 05) was lacking in quality. With that said, my 07 X3 is as nice as my 06 330i, with the same 265 hp engine, and has done nothing but impress me and everyone that gets in it. That thing moves!

Now, to stay true to the point of this thread - what not to like about the 1...

BMW has apparently changed the programing of the engine to allow more lag in the lower rpms, in the newer production 1's. I have read enough about it to believe that it is true. This is going to make many a newer 1 owner very angry as it seems to be a bait and switch. They didn't do this to the 335...

1 owners that fiddle with their cars and blow them up are going to be the end to moding our cars. BMW will end up voiding our warranties for installing tinted windows....

BMW didn't come out with it's own software upgrade for the 1 to address this obvious issue....

And yes, it is too heavy - Why couldn't they get it under 3k lbs....

Flame away...

Jose
2005 X3 3.0, (collateral exchange by BMW)
Old 06-21-2008, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jose100fires View Post
And yes, it is too heavy - Why couldn't they get it under 3k lbs....

Flame away...

Jose
You want it lighter than a Z4.

Good luck.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325XI Sport pkg
+1
BTW I seen 5 door hatch 120 and 128 in Europe year ago and like it at list appearance.
Plus I don't undestand why here it same price as mine pretty loaded AWD 325XI 5years ago?
Has idea to ask for test drive 128i but deceided even did not bother....
Old 06-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325XI Sport pkg
[My problem with the 1 series (in US market guise) is that it has no purpose. Simple as that.
It's too expensive and comes with too many high-level trim options and standard features ]....[/QUOTE]
+1
BTW I seen 5 door hatch 120 and 128 in Europe year ago and like it at list appearance.
Plus I don't undestand why here it same price as mine pretty loaded AWD 325XI 5years ago?
Has idea to ask for test drive 128i but deceided even did not bother

Last edited by LX-biker; 06-16-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post
You want it lighter than a Z4.
Good luck.
Uhh, the new Z4 3.5 is heavier than both the 128i & 135i coupes and is only a few pounds lighter than the 128i 'vert. I traded an earlier Z4 (3090 lbs.) in on my 128i droptop (3490)and don't really notice much difference in the handling - but the 1er's ride is certainly less bone-jarring than the Z4.

So while about 400 lbs. less weight would be nice, I'd settle for a temperature gauge, an oil dipstick, and a dash readout of actual individual tire pressure since the hardware is in place on the U.S. models.

Tom
Old 06-17-2009, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 128i convertible
Relative to the size of the back seat, my test was to have my 6'4" son get in the passenger side, move the seat as far forward as he could, and then get out and sit in the back. He fit with about an inch to spare. He would not have been comfortable in the front seat without moving it back that inch but my conclusion is that he and my 5' 9" daughter could ride with me for short distances. If you put 2 in the back, they better be small or like each other a lot - it is narrow. But there is enough room for even above average people for short distances, at least. You could do 4 IMHO but it would clearly be a "guys in front, gals in back" kind of situation.

The other factor which has not been mentioned is the soft top. That allows a meaningful amount of luggage to be in the trunk with the top down. I want to be able to take a trip with luggage with the top down. The hard top convertibles typically eliminate the trunk when the top is down. I will have to replace the top some day but the advantage of the ability to use the trunk is worth it to me. They say you can fit 2 sets of clubs in the trunk with the top down. I'm not a big golfer but it looks like it is possible if the bags are not huge.

Jim
Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M5 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
I hate the fact we can't get European models in the US.
Oooo, I think the 1 series models here are fine, though perhaps a 120i 4cylinder would do the market well, and make cloth seats avaiable, and perhaps manual window winders, simple ac, etc. Selling more cars has to make more sense than trying to be 'elite' and only offering expensive spec options.

I really think the 123d engine needs to come though, in the form of next gen. X3xdrive23d....!

Gone but not forgotten
2004 545i steptronic - Titanium Gray - Sport Package
2003 Z4 2.5i manual - Sterling Gray - Sport Package, Premium Package
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
1996 Mercedes C220 Classic
1996 VW T3 Caravelle 2.6i
1995 VW Jetta III CLX
1989 VW Jetta II CLI exec
1961 Auto Union (DKW) 1000S (inherited from grandmother)
Old 06-17-2009, 07:16 PM

Mein Auto: 08 M5 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
We've been living with a 118i hatch in Europe for awhile. US-spec cars get a lot of rubbish stuff that I could do without.

Like the stupid warning chimes. In the 118i, it NEVER chimes if you leave the key in when you open the door. It also doesn't chime when you turn on the ignition, regardless of whether you have the belt fastened. (But if you drive off w/o a belt, it will start to chime). Rolling up the windows with the remote was also a cool feature. And EfficientDynamics..........brilliant. The electric power steering is the best electric steering I've ever driven!
Chimes only when necessary?!? Damn now I am jealous of the Euro specs! How often I have wanted to rip out the frikken gong, whats with that on American spec cars? Door is open? Yes, I know that, there is a hole to my left. Car off and key in ignition? Yes I know that because its not in my hand and I cant lock the car.... retarded.

Gone but not forgotten
2004 545i steptronic - Titanium Gray - Sport Package
2003 Z4 2.5i manual - Sterling Gray - Sport Package, Premium Package
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
1996 Mercedes C220 Classic
1996 VW T3 Caravelle 2.6i
1995 VW Jetta III CLX
1989 VW Jetta II CLI exec
1961 Auto Union (DKW) 1000S (inherited from grandmother)
Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: ??
wow, 39 responses before anyone mentions the jaw-dropping lack of a limited slip differential on a sporty sub-compact making 300+ hp..

but i only scanned the thread.. maybe i just missed all the complaints about trying to sell you electronic braking gimmicks instead of a proper rear...
Old 06-18-2009, 05:23 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 Accord, 2004 X3
IMO the 1 series is nice and clean and "cute" looking car but is on the feminine side.
3 series looks so much more substantial.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: E90 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by drand View Post
Why I hate the 1 series:

1). It is designed for driving at speeds which greatly exceed US speed limits and will cause me to get speeding tickets. I even had to buy a radar detector which BMW didn't tell me I needed before I bought it.

2). It handles too well. It handles so well that while on ED driving on switchbacks my wife thought she was going to die because we were able to drive around corners much faster than she is used too.

3). I enjoy driving it too much. I am going to exceed the miles on my lease and have to buy more at lease end. I am also going to spend even more money on extra gas.

4). It is driving me nuts to have to wait for it to arrive in the US, I am obsessing about it and this is causing my work to suffer as I sit in meetings and daydream about the wonderful driving while on ED.
Heh, gotta love ED. All four of those points apply to my 3er. I actually got a test drive in a 135i while my car was in for service, and it was a fricken blast. Price aside, only downside I could think of is the impracticality of it.

ED (M 3050 Z) Pickup May 21 2008, re-delivery August 22, 2008:
335xi Sparkling Graphite on Black Leather/Dark Walnut, ZPP, ZSP, ZCW, 6FL, HD Radio, 18" wheels
ED blog: http://bmweuro2008.blogspot.com/
ED photos: http://www.ryan.piratescott.com/euro2008/index.html
Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: '09 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog View Post
IMO the 1 series is nice and clean and "cute" looking car but is on the feminine side.
3 series looks so much more substantial.
Who cares if it might be considered "cute" and appears feminine. The car is simply a blast to drive. The 3 series is more substantial in regards to weight and sales.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD1 View Post

The other factor which has not been mentioned is the soft top. That allows a meaningful amount of luggage to be in the trunk with the top down. I want to be able to take a trip with luggage with the top down. The hard top convertibles typically eliminate the trunk when the top is down. I will have to replace the top some day but the advantage of the ability to use the trunk is worth it to me. They say you can fit 2 sets of clubs in the trunk with the top down. I'm not a big golfer but it looks like it is possible if the bags are not huge.
Its one of the reasons I bought the 135 vert instead of the 335, I wanted to be able to drop the top on weekend trips. The 335 vert trunk is useless with the top down and it costs another 10k or so.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:14 PM
BMW & Mopar enthusiast

Mein Auto: 06 Dodge Magnum SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwulffusa View Post
Door is open? Yes, I know that, there is a hole to my left.
HAHAHA!

I don't have a BMW yet but I hate the chimes for no reason as much as the next guy.