Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2003, 05:39 PM
bmw540i's Avatar
bmw540i bmw540i is offline
Technik Stg 1
Location: C.A. - T.X.
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 361
Mein Auto: 01 - M62
Zr Y Rated Meaning

What does y rated and ZR rated mean. I know its speed difference but what does each mean
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Mr. The Edge's Avatar
Mr. The Edge Mr. The Edge is offline
.
Location: .
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,211
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw540i
What does y rated and ZR rated mean. I know its speed difference but what does each mean
ZR=149mph+

Y=186mph

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...eral/speed.htm
__________________
Belief cannot argue with unbelief, it can only preach to it

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2003, 05:42 PM
alee's Avatar
alee alee is offline
Super Moderator
Location: New York, NY
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,021
Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Any compelling reason to get Y over ZR assuming that your car will never be able to hit 186mph?
__________________
2001 E46 330Ci - 42K miles, 2013 E92 M3 - Back from PCD
Thinking about doing European Delivery? Read about my ED experience. Best trip, ever.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2003, 07:02 PM
marcelgood marcelgood is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 169
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by alee
Any compelling reason to get Y over ZR assuming that your car will never be able to hit 186mph?
Well, if I understand correctly then ZR rated tires are always rated W or Y in addition, because ZR just says 149mph and above, but doesn't specify how much above. The manual should say wheather they are ZR W or ZR Y. My pilot sports sidewall markings say ZR, but according to tirerack, they are actually Y rated. Somebody correct me if I didn't get this straight.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2003, 08:22 PM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelgood
Well, if I understand correctly then ZR rated tires are always rated W or Y in addition, because ZR just says 149mph and above, but doesn't specify how much above. The manual should say wheather they are ZR W or ZR Y. My pilot sports sidewall markings say ZR, but according to tirerack, they are actually Y rated. Somebody correct me if I didn't get this straight.
The actual speed rating is behind the load rating...It'll say something like xxx/xx/ZRxx 91W, which will indicate a Z rated tire (capable of 149+mph) but should not go over 154mph, which is W rated tire's theoretical limit. If it says something like xxx/xx/ZRxx 89Y, it means the tire can handle up to 186mph.
__________________
Quote:
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2003, 09:34 PM
The Roadstergal's Avatar
The Roadstergal The Roadstergal is offline
Butting back in
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 17,466
Mein Auto: GS500F
I was once told that the higher the speed rating, the better; it indicates better structural integrity at 'lower' speeds, as well. Anyone care to refute or confirm this?
__________________
"This is a revolution, dammit! We're going to have to offend SOMEbody!"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2003, 09:37 PM
TGray5's Avatar
TGray5 TGray5 is offline
Ultimate Driving Machine
Location: So. Calif.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,207
Mein Auto: '13 F10 550i; '13 R1200GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK
The actual speed rating is behind the load rating...It'll say something like xxx/xx/ZRxx 91W, which will indicate a Z rated tire (capable of 149+mph) but should not go over 154mph, which is W rated tire's theoretical limit. If it says something like xxx/xx/ZRxx 89Y, it means the tire can handle up to 186mph.
The speeds quoted reflect the tires ability to hold that speed for one hour straight So there's a little safety margin built in for those of use that might hit solid triple digits for a few seconds every once in awhile But don't complain to me if you blow a tire at 150
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2003, 09:45 PM
The HACK's Avatar
The HACK The HACK is offline
Rest in peace, Coach
Location: People's Republic of United States
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 9,106
Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StahlGrauM3
The speeds quoted reflect the tires ability to hold that speed for one hour straight So there's a little safety margin built in for those of use that might hit solid triple digits for a few seconds every once in awhile But don't complain to me if you blow a tire at 150
Don't worry about me...I hit sustained triple digit speeds mostly on the track. It's STUKA/Butthead we need to worry about.
__________________
Quote:
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-07-2003, 11:36 PM
Emission's Avatar
Emission Emission is offline
Automotive Monomaniac
Location: North of Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 10,688
Mein Auto: Schnelle Autos
There is a valid reason to buy the highest speed rating you can tolerate!

Speed rating is based on the ability of the tire carcass to sustain the centrifical force, and the compound to sustain the high temps found during high speed cruising.

...With this in mind, a tire with a high speed rating of ZR or better will be much more stable, and less likely to blow, in the event of a sudden pressure lost at normal speeds. Those first critical seconds... when the tire pressure drops to zero... and the rim is pressing a flat tire against the pavement at speed... are when the extra heat tolerance and reinforced sidewalls will mean all the difference in the world.

I can't say a TR or SR tire will fail, but I will say a ZR or YR tire will fail in a much more controlled manner.

I will not let my wife (or myself) drive on tires with less than an HR rating. Sure, they cost a bit more, and ride a bit harsher... but the safety margin is everything.
__________________
I am fortunate to have unique press cars delivered weekly, but I own:

'13 Audi Q5 2.0T Quattro 8AT
'86 Porsche 911 Turbo 4MT


Gone, but never forgotten... my E70 X5 35d, E90 335i, E46 330i, E36 328i, E70 X5 3.0si, E53 X5 3.0i.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Read my work as West Coast Editor for Autoblog!

Last edited by Emission; 07-07-2003 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2003, 03:19 AM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,480
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
The "official" speed ratings are S, H, V, Z. Those are the ones you find actually in the tires size designation (except they don't put an S in there).

So you get a 205/50HR15, would be an H rated radial (R) tire.

The highest rating is Z, which is above 149. But the tire manufacturers got worried about the speed potential for the super cars and started with additional ratings for Z tires to indicate the actual speed rating above 149. So Y or W rated tire is really a Z rated tire, with additional info.

That is why the Y or W, etc. is indicated folowoing the offical tire size and rating designation.

The higher the tire rating the better the construction to take the higher heat of high speed running. Typically the better handling tires end up with higher ratings.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Stuka Stuka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,675
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
That is why the Y or W, etc. is indicated folowoing the offical tire size and rating designation.
Not all have the Y rating. Some Z rated tires actually are Z, 149+ with no upper cap. Well, the theoretical top speed of modern sports cars are around 240mph.

Guess what the Big Mac come shodded with?

There are plenty of cars now capable of breaking the Y rating nowadays, and their tires come with Z rating without the upper cap as indicated by the Y and the W.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-09-2003, 01:41 AM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,480
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuka
Not all have the Y rating. Some Z rated tires actually are Z, 149+ with no upper cap. Well, the theoretical top speed of modern sports cars are around 240mph.

Guess what the Big Mac come shodded with?

There are plenty of cars now capable of breaking the Y rating nowadays, and their tires come with Z rating without the upper cap as indicated by the Y and the W.

Andy
02 M3 CB/Cloth SMG
The problem is, if you get a Z rated tire (and ONLY Z) you don't know whether the tire is only good for 150 MPH or 250 MPH. That is why the Y and W rating came about.

Yes, there are some Z rated tires good for 240 MPH, but you can't tell by the rating.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms