Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition

BMW Motorcycles (aka Beemers) and the Competition
Have an interest in BMW motorcycles or just motorcycles in general? Discuss the line of BMW motorcycles and how they may compare to the rest of the competition in this forum!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Would you buy a bike that you are not allowed to test ride?

I see people posting on Craigslist that they are not allowed to test ride the bikes they have for sale. WTF? Seriously.

Some say they'll demonstrate it for you.

You take the same chances when you let someone test drive your car, no?
Ads by Google
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Analyst + Therapist = ...

Mein Auto: people crazy
same as a dealership
Old 05-26-2009, 07:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 M5 6sp
Good luck to those selling with that attitude, if you're selling private, you have to make the same concessions and take the risks a dealer does. If you wont do that, just trade it in then, or sit with it............
I would never buy anything that I wasnt allowed to drive/ride alone, for a while...., how could you possibly know what you are getting into or whether you even like the vehicle without some personal time, doing your thing without someone watching over you.

Gone but not forgotten
2004 545i steptronic - Titanium Gray - Sport Package
2003 Z4 2.5i manual - Sterling Gray - Sport Package, Premium Package
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD
1996 Mercedes C220 Classic
1996 VW T3 Caravelle 2.6i
1995 VW Jetta III CLX
1989 VW Jetta II CLI exec
1961 Auto Union (DKW) 1000S (inherited from grandmother)
Old 05-27-2009, 05:25 AM
YeS...

Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by #5880 View Post
same as a dealership
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwulffusa View Post
Good luck to those selling with that attitude, if you're selling private, you have to make the same concessions and take the risks a dealer does.
Dealers DO NOT let you test ride bike.

Its weird the fact that people or dealers wont let you test ride them, but it is a huge liability. And no, its not the same as a car.

That being said, i do not think i would buy a bike from a private seller if i cant test ride the bike.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:52 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Z4M/ GSXR
I think it's just an understanding within the bike community that there are no test rides on bikes (around here anyway). Too much of a risk that the bike can be dropped. When I sold mine I didn't allow any test rides and the guy that ended up buying it gave me the cash before the test ride with the understanding that if he dropped it he bought it.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
BMW dealers will let you test ride as long as you have an endorsement. If they don't know you, they will ride along side with you.

I would not buy a bike I could not test ride.

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 05-27-2009, 08:53 AM
YeS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
BMW dealers will let you test ride as long as you have an endorsement. If they don't know you, they will ride along side with you.

I would not buy a bike I could not test ride.
I wonder if its like that here in NY. I know for a fact that a regular dealership will not let you test ride a bike here. I dont think it has much to do with stealing it, i think its more about the liability if you let the bike fall or get into an accident.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 AM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '07 530xiT
My husband bought his Ducati from a private seller. No problem getting the guy to let him test-ride it.

He bought his BMW from a dealer. No problem getting a test ride.

Bought my Aprilia from a dealer. No problem getting a test ride.

Bought my Honda from a private seller. No problem getting a test ride.

He has test-ridden numerous bikes and not once that I know of has he been denied a test ride.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:00 AM
BMW Driver :)

Mein Auto: 2000 E39 M5
Ride them on ride days, bikes get stolen all the time by folks with false ID presented to sellers, dealers do not let you test ride except for demo days (may be few and far between but i have never seem it)
Old 05-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Slacker Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: '02 3LOU5i
No fvcking way I would buy a bike that I wasn't allowed to test ride. That's like buying a house without getting an official thorough inspection.

And it's not true that dealerships WON"T let you test ride a bike. If you have a motorcycle endorsement, they'll just hand you the keys and you're free to do what you will. At least, that was the case when I bought my Harley.
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - Aly's and Susi's (our two Miniature Schnauzers)
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S
Old 05-28-2009, 05:28 AM
YeS...

You guys must have some real trusting dealerships around your area. But this is definitely a good thing. If they allow you to test ride, then go for it 100%.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglovemp View Post
You guys must have some real trusting dealerships around your area. But this is definitely a good thing. If they allow you to test ride, then go for it 100%.

Like I said, the BMW dealer will ride along side you in Seattle. And, I suspect if you walk in and look like a squid, he'll deny you the ride altogether. Never seen it, never happened to me, but I am sure it does.

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Driving around somewhere

Mein Auto: nothing at the moment
In the KC area, the only bike dealer I know of that will let you test drive is the BMW dealer. I have never test ridden one, so I have no personal experience with it, but none of the other dealers will allow it based on my experiences.

To answer the original question though, I have bought one bike that I was not allowed to test drive and I wouldn't do it again to be honest. I would travel to a dealer that would to make sure I was a good fit on the bike in actual riding conditions.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:01 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
I wouldn't buy a bike without a test ride, period.

I've test rode several bikes, including both that I bought. I allowed test rides on my Kawi when I was selling it, if they showed me a valid M1 class license...not that it was even anything worth worrying about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
buying a bike w/o a test ride is insane there is no way i would do that
Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Over-the-Hill

Mein Auto: '07 530xiT
So my husband test-rode a bike today at Ducati Indy. He'll pick it up when we get back in town.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 325cic
I'm currently trying to sell my bikes and that is something I am really struggling with...As an individual, letting someone I don't know ride on my insurance is opening myself up to a risk I don't really want to take. Not so much from the loss of bike standpoint but from the liability standpoint if something happens. On the other hand I can understand why someone would want to ride before spending money on a bike. I bought my first bike without test riding (I had never ridden before) and my second I test rode. In my area I know the BMW dealer will let you and maybe the HD dealers let you but the rest will not. If I let someone test ride it would be with the understanding that I am going to follow them in my car or on my other bike...No exceptions. Just my thoughts.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Slacker Extraordinaire

Mein Auto: '02 3LOU5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1200rsvt View Post
I'm currently trying to sell my bikes and that is something I am really struggling with...As an individual, letting someone I don't know ride on my insurance is opening myself up to a risk I don't really want to take. Not so much from the loss of bike standpoint but from the liability standpoint if something happens. On the other hand I can understand why someone would want to ride before spending money on a bike. I bought my first bike without test riding (I had never ridden before) and my second I test rode. In my area I know the BMW dealer will let you and maybe the HD dealers let you but the rest will not. If I let someone test ride it would be with the understanding that I am going to follow them in my car or on my other bike...No exceptions. Just my thoughts.
If I was selling a bike, I would do three things:

(1) Go to a HUGE empty parking lot where the test ride will only take place, reducing the accident to other people/property factor and,

(2) The agreed amount IN CASH is present, and that stipulation of "you crash it, you bought it" is in effect.

(3) The buyer must have a valid motorcycle license. (Of course, this is not applicable to dirt bikes).
2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - Aly's and Susi's (our two Miniature Schnauzers)
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S
Old 06-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post

(1) Go to a HUGE empty parking lot where the test ride will only take place, reducing the accident to other people/property factor and,

(2) The agreed amount IN CASH is present, and that stipulation of "you crash it, you bought it" is in effect.

(3) The buyer must have a valid motorcycle license. (Of course, this is not applicable to dirt bikes).
Yea, a couple of ads I saw asked for the money up front to test drive. I would bring someone with me and have them wait with the owner to make sure they don't run with the money.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post

I've bought and sold many bikes before and so far have been lucky. A husband and wife who comes over to look, I let him do a test ride. And most of the time the guy buys the bike. Three rugged guys comes over on 2 bikes, I said sorry I do not allow test rides. He gets mad, I tell them to leave. Or one time a father and a young son to look at the bike. I did allowed him to test ride leaving his driver's license with MC endorsement. It's pretty much how the potential buyer presents himself that makes me decide to allow him to test or not and also on the kind of bike I am selling. Like if I am going to sell my 08K1200S, that is definitely a no test ride allowed.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Like I said, the BMW dealer will ride along side you in Seattle. And, I suspect if you walk in and look like a squid, he'll deny you the ride altogether. Never seen it, never happened to me, but I am sure it does.
North San Diego BMW would allow me to test ride any bike although I've already set my mind on one. Maybe I would have preferred that he rides along side with me because I got lost! I have to stop and call him for direction.LOL. Also, maybe I should have taken his offer because now I wanted the K1200GT.