Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:11 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2010 MB SLK & BMW 135i
Question Hello Everyone!

Today I looked at the 1 series both the 128 & the 135. I'm very interested in getting one, so I thought joining the forum and learning about which options to get and maybe something about pricing might be valuable.

First I may be somewhat unique in the forum, since I owned a 2002 which bought new in 1970. I still have very vivid and happy memories of that experience. The 1 series truly reminds me of my 2002. It had a lot of flaws, but it was a great driving experience.

I like the size and look of the 1. It's probably due to being a big fan of small cars. I once owned a Toyota Corolla FX16 which I also loved. Of course, neither the BMW or the Toyota would impress anyone, and I think the 1 will be even less so.

My current car is a Mazda MX-5 which is an OK car, but it lacks a lot of things that would make it a great driver's car. I think the 1 might very well be? Anyway, I'll follow the forum with a great deal of interest.

Regards,

BestCS
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e46
have you considered the 3 series? even though the 3 is a couple grand more, i think its well worth it. maybe even a cpo e46? idk, im just not a big fan of the 1 series.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 135i
BestCS - I came out of a Miata into a 135i. The Miata has the 135i beat hands down in steering feel and ability to rotate. Steering feel may be as much the tires as any other single factor (you can deaden the steering feel in a Miata quickly by putting on crap tires ; -). The 135i is running Bridgestone RE050A run-flats and the steering is a bit numb and those tires need small corrections when running in a straight line. Nothing a set of Michelin PS2s won't solve though.

In addition the 135i is running on softer springs all around than the Miata. The 135i has a decent shifter - maybe not quite the rifle bolt feel of the 5-speed Miata but one of the better six speed shifters out there (and better than Mazdas). It's brakes are a revelation coming from the Miata - a bit grabby at first (because I was used to a really long pedal travel in the Miata before any real 'bite' occurred). They are Brembo six pot fronts.

But of course the really HUGE difference between the two is TORQUE! There are bags of torgue waiting at 1400 RPM in the 135i and more power than any out-of-factory Miata driver has dealt with. The engine is a marvel.

But in the grand scheme of things the Miata is a sports car and the 135i a grand tourer. I think some work on the suspension and you can bring the 135i closer to true sports car, but it still weighs almost 3400 lbs.

As to whether or not a 335i would be better than a 135i - well some of us don't need a back seat (and everything from the B-pillar back on the 1ers is done with cost cutting in mind) and some of us don't care for the styling of the 3er (and since BMW sells 10 to 20 times the 3 series cars than the 1er, that is known on BMW forums as blasphemy. ; -)

Last edited by atr_hugo; 06-30-2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr_hugo View Post
As to whether or not a 335i would be better than a 135i - well some of us don't need a back seat (and everything from the B-pillar back on the 1ers is done with cost cutting in mind) and some of us don't care for the styling of the 3er (and since BMW sells 10 to 20 times the 3 series cars than the 1er, that is known on BMW forums as blasphemy. ; -)
there's a reason why the 3 sells alot better than the 1. the 1er is about 2 inches taller in height and 10 inches shorter in length. its as if they took a 3er by the front and rear bumpers and squished it into a hyundai look alike. if the 1er didnt have the roundel on the hood and trunk lid, you'd think honda came out with a new civic.

Last edited by bulwinkl24; 06-30-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: '09 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulwinkl24 View Post
there's a reason why the 3 sells alot better than the 1. the 1er is about 2 inches taller in height and 10 inches shorter in length. its as if they took a 3er by the front and rear bumpers and squished it into a hyundai look alike. if the 1er didnt have the roundel on the hood and trunk lid, you'd think honda came out with a new civic.
Some people are willing to spend several grand for looks. You know the E92 is big to begin with. The 135i is only 6 inches shorter than the E46. Front and Rear legroom is nearly identical. So essentially the 135i is fairly close to the dimensions of the E46. I think it's only 100lbs heavier compared to the 330ci.

If you really think the 135i is a "Hyundai look alike", I suggest you see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 128i Cp, 1st year Boxster
BestCS,
I had an E28 5 series (bought new), and now have a Miata (NC; I had 2 NAs before). I like the 1 series a lot, though I greatly prefer the styling of the convertible over the coupe. The simplicity of the cloth top on the 1er makes it preferable to me over the 3er vert. But, my kids would be kind of squished in the back, so for now, I'll keep the Miata.

What all are you looking for?
Old 06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Banned

Question MX-5 a Better Car?

The NC isn't that great a car. The '06->'08 had big problems with a very soft suspension and a hideous 4 X 4 look. It was so soft that the rear would bottom out on minor pot holes. It also wallowed around on corners and had considerable dive and squat on braking and acceleration. I had to replace the miserable Bilstein shocks & OEM spring with Eibach Coilovers to get an acceptable ride and decent handling. If you don't believe me, check the Miataforum, and you'll find this a common problem.

Also the NC's steering has a very poor on center feel. It came with Michelin Preceda tires which were so bad, I replaced them at 10K miles! I now have General Exclaim UHP tires on it now, and they are fine but the steering still leaves something to be desired. Again this is a common problem and has been discussed ad nauseum. The consensus is the alignment, but no one really knows the best numbers - yet.

I haven't driven a BMW in a few years, but everyone I have driven including my 2002 had a very precise and positive steering feel. The on center feel was perfect! Even my Toyota was great. My feeling is the older Miatas were light agile good handling cars, but the new ones need some improvements. Actually, I think Mazda is aming the NC more in the direction of a general audience, i.e., away from the sports car enthusiast.

I don't care for most of the BMW models. They are just too big. I like the dimensions of the 1 and for me, it's surprising how much it resembles the 1600/2002 in appearance and size. Remember, I'm a true small car fan. For example, I was looking at a 370Z, a cheaper option, but I considered it too big, a boy racer look, and really ugly!

I expect the 135 to be very fast with great brakes, steering, and handling. The 2002 was a very quick car that I surprised a lot of American iron with. It would easily run all day long at 125 MPH, had great brakes and steering. The engine was a true jewel, but it had problems with the front fenders rusting and 2nd gear synchros! BTW, I sold it 5 years later for exactly what I paid for it -$4,000, what a mistake!

Small cars are a lot more fun to drive. They are easy to park and can scoot around in traffic. However, the jury is out on the 1. I'll have to take several test drives to find out if it has the qualities that are important to me.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
there's a reason why the 3 sells alot better than the 1.
They sell more 3's on purpose, that's a big chunk of where BMW's profits come from in the US.

They restrict the volume of the E82 in the US and so far they've managed to sell all the E82s they bring in. I don't think the same can be said for the 3er currently.

As far as styling is concerned, the 3er is purposefully safe. And that makes it bland to me.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestCS View Post
The NC isn't that great a car.
That explains it - I had an NB, the NCs I've driven weren't close.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Chairman of the Bored

Mein Auto: 2013 650i Coupe
I had a loaded '06 Z4. Now I have the '08 135 vert. I really like it. I didn't like the 335 vert because it has a hard top and when the top is down there is no room in the trunk plus possible leaks. If I wanted a coupe I would probably get the 335.

2012 328i Coupe
2013 650i Coupe ( retired for Porsche 911 )
Porsche got the 911 right ( after they tried everything else lol )
Old 06-30-2009, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 318i, 135i on order
You have to go and test drive them. No matter what we say, it's no substitution for your own experience. When I was shopping around I didn't even think I would get another BMW because my 3 had gotten so expensive to keep running (177,000 miles) and I had had really bad experiences with the original dealer. I looked at Lexus, Infiniti, Audi, Acura and - as expected - it all came down to the test drives. As nice as some of the other cars drove, none had the same balanced feel as a BMW (though Audi is close). If you had a 2002, you'll probably recognize this immediately. Be warned though, the 135i is a blast to drive and I found it impossible to walk away from.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
Some people are willing to spend several grand for looks. You know the E92 is big to begin with. The 135i is only 6 inches shorter than the E46. Front and Rear legroom is nearly identical. So essentially the 135i is fairly close to the dimensions of the E46. I think it's only 100lbs heavier compared to the 330ci.
youre right about that. but the 135 is still over 2 inches taller than the e46. even with loowering springs, it would still be taller, thus doesnt have the lower center of gravity for handling purposes. if im gonna spend 40 grand on a car, i better get the best bang for the buck. the 1 series doesnt cut it IMO. if you need a back seat, the CPO e46 M3 would be the best bet if youre not into the looks of the e92.

if a back seat isnt needed the nismo 370z blows everything away in its price range.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
youre right about that. but the 135 is still over 2 inches taller than the e46. even with loowering springs, it would still be taller, thus doesnt have the lower center of gravity for handling purposes.

if a back seat isnt needed the nismo 370z blows everything away in its price range.
If you are racing that is significant. On the street . . .

As far as the Nismo 370Z is concerned - it's a good one. But bear in mind car companies make different cars because people have different tastes and NEEDS.

I needed a car with a higher H point than the 370Z (and especially the Miata ; -). If I didn't need the H point elevation I'd be in a Cayman S.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Banned

Note the 2002 was a very tall car too. It also was on the skinny side although it did have wide seat for apparently big German bottoms! It also was very sensitive to crosswinds. The 370Z is likely a better buy, but I understand the engine get a little rough when you get into the higher RPMS. Also the Z is made to attract attention. I'd doubt if anyone would ever notice the 1!

I did a first check on the 1. It was just a walk around. It has a good sized trunk. Also the back seats are usable in fact, they are a lot bigger than I thought. What I like is the car doesn't have any wasted space for looks like a big pointy nose. Many people have never even been close to a 2002, so they can appreciate how much the 1 resembles it.

I'll probably go with the 135 coupe, and I'll carefully choose the options. The price get really high when you start getting a lot of stuff. I'm wondering if the sports pkg is worth the money? I believe it's the seats, steering wheel, and some trim. I like leather but not for an extra $1,100! Also the convertible is nice but will really push the price up an extra 5K or so!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
Well, as is true with most of the current offerings from this marque all the enthusiast really needs with the E82 is either the Sports Package (ZSP) or the M Sports Package (ZMP). The difference in cost between the two is about $200, but the ZMP gets an anthracite headliner (imo more aethestically appealing than the stock SP gray one), Type 261M double spoke wheels and assorted 'M' cosmetic bits.

I truly think you'll want to get one or the other. Just search any BMW board here or on any of the other enthusiast sites for the one defining regret; that they didn't get the sports package.

From there it's pretty much fluff and stuff, depending upon how luxurious and gussied up you want to make it.

It's entirely possible with the coupe that checking all the option boxes (including Steptronic heaven forbid) can bring the sticker to over $50,000.

I come from the 3er lineage of E30, E36 and E46. Each got progressively more bloated, with more techno gadgets and nannies with each iteration.

I'm still not really able to unequivocally like any of the current flame surfaced offerings. I have styling reservations about the entire lot of them.

And the E82 also has it's interior cosmetic and performance warts.

But the reason I am drawn to it and like it so is it's tossability. Yeah, it's a GT, but with underpinnings and attitude that still give it a bit of a sports car aura.

The 128 is the best value of any BMW right now. If I weren't coming from an E46 ZHP with 235hp I would have likely found the 128's 230hp to be more than adequate.

And with it's NA nature you don't have to worry about potential long-term mechanical issues with the twin turbo's.

Having never owned nor even driven the 2002 I can't say if the E82 is akin to the 2002. I suspect not; at 3300 pounds for the 135i it has to be a half ton heavier.

But once you put it through its paces I think you'll quickly come to respect the E82's soul, and maybe come to realize as I did that it hits the right notes when it comes to the fun quotient as any 4 seater this company has produced in the last 20 years, even those with the vaunted 'M' badge.

Finally, if you're really serious about getting to the know the E82 you'll definitely want to join the 1Addicts.com crowd.

For whatever reason this board just doesn't get (no pun intended this time) this car. So there's not a whole lot of traffic about it over here.

Maybe that will change in the coming months and years as more people get over their hangups and preconceived notions regarding it, and give it an honest whirl.