Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-30-2009, 10:59 PM
KevinC's Avatar
KevinC KevinC is offline
your average JAMF
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,049
Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
(Z4MC) Inspection I & II

Just had I-1 done today at 24.5k miles. When I informed the SA that my brake fluid was also due to be replaced (actually 7 months past by now, car was built 11/06), he countered that I was actually 2 months away from being due.. because he was going by the date the car was sold, not the manufacture date, as is proper. They did it anyway though they seemed baffled at this bit of info.

I'm realizing now that I-2 is going to be past 50k miles, and as such not a freebie. Wonderful. My local stealership charges $759.95 for an I-1 on a Z4M, and a whopping $1449.95 for I-2.. which is absolutely outrageous considering that the latter only adds tranny and diff fluid replacements, an air filter, and spark plugs. Are they on crack??? I'll find a good indy shop by the time I-2 rolls around.
__________________

'05 330Ci ZHP ..PD99819______________'07 Z4M Coupe ..LL93707
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:13 AM
SRZHP SRZHP is offline
Registered User
Location: BOS/SJU/AMS/GRU
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13
Mein Auto: MY08 M Coupe IB
You can always consider buying the extended warranty/maintenance. Should run you a few Benjamins on top of the Inp.II.
__________________
2008 M Coupe - Current Whip
2006 M3 - ZCP - Gift to my little brother
2004 330i - ZHP - SOLD
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
pal's Avatar
pal pal is offline
S54=Living on the Edge
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,486
Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe, 2004 Audi T
Hmm ... I thought I-1 was free? Why did your dealer charge you ...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:03 AM
blau335 blau335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fl
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 829
Mein Auto: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Just had I-1 done today at 24.5k miles. When I informed the SA that my brake fluid was also due to be replaced (actually 7 months past by now, car was built 11/06), he countered that I was actually 2 months away from being due.. because he was going by the date the car was sold, not the manufacture date, as is proper. They did it anyway though they seemed baffled at this bit of info.

I'm realizing now that I-2 is going to be past 50k miles, and as such not a freebie. Wonderful. My local stealership charges $759.95 for an I-1 on a Z4M, and a whopping $1449.95 for I-2.. which is absolutely outrageous considering that the latter only adds tranny and diff fluid replacements, an air filter, and spark plugs. Are they on crack??? I'll find a good indy shop by the time I-2 rolls around.
Only tranny diff and plugs and air filter? You left out engine oil, cabin filter, wiper blades, and a valve shimming (which needs shims tools gaskets, extra time). Inspection 2 is $600 in parts alone.

If you find an indy shop doing it for less then a grand they are probably not doing what they are supposed to be. Also if they do not tell you to leave your car overnight and pick it up the next day LATE in the day they are not doing it right. To properly shim the valves it's best to leave the car overnight ready to pull the cover off and check/shim clearances then.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqX7IIaXtkg Is it on a dyno? No.

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers

Last edited by blau335; 07-01-2009 at 09:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 AM
KevinC's Avatar
KevinC KevinC is offline
your average JAMF
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,049
Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau335 View Post
Only tranny diff and plugs and air filter? You left out engine oil, cabin filter, wiper blades, and a valve shimming (which needs shims tools gaskets, extra time). Inspection 2 is $600 in parts alone.
I didn't leave them out.. that huge price delta between I & II is only for the mentioned additional items. Oil, cabin filter, valve adjustment, etc., is part of the I price. No way that adding the few additional items should almost DOUBLE the price of I.
__________________

'05 330Ci ZHP ..PD99819______________'07 Z4M Coupe ..LL93707
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:50 AM
KevinC's Avatar
KevinC KevinC is offline
your average JAMF
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,049
Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau335 View Post
Also if they do not tell you to leave your car overnight and pick it up the next day LATE in the day they are not doing it right. To properly shim the valves it's best to leave the car overnight ready to pull the cover off and check/shim clearances then.
Now that's interesting. My car was in at 7am and done by 1pm.

Any comments from BMW techs on whether their shop keeps cars overnight when doing a valve adjustment? Your comment makes perfect sense, I'm curious if dealership shops are actually adhering to this advice or not. Mine obviously didn't.

Does anyone possibly have an internal document instructing a cooldown period before valve adjustment? If one exists, I want to bring it to the service manager's attention.
__________________

'05 330Ci ZHP ..PD99819______________'07 Z4M Coupe ..LL93707
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-2009, 09:59 AM
blau335 blau335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fl
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 829
Mein Auto: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Now that's interesting. My car was in at 7am and done by 1pm.

Any comments from BMW techs on whether their shop keeps cars overnight when doing a valve adjustment? Your comment makes perfect sense, I'm curious if dealership shops are actually adhering to this advice or not. Mine obviously didn't.

Does anyone possibly have an internal document instructing a cooldown period before valve adjustment? If one exists, I want to bring it to the service manager's attention.
One does exist, it's not overnight it specifies a maximum coolant temperature to check the valves at. It's possible they racked it at 7am changed all the fluids and got the valve cover ready then did it. A few hours should be enough, but that would involve tying that bay up for that time, which most places wont do. Instead they opt for you to bring it in the day before and leave it there so it's ready (and definately cooled down by) the morning for work to be started right away.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqX7IIaXtkg Is it on a dyno? No.

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-01-2009, 10:09 AM
KevinC's Avatar
KevinC KevinC is offline
your average JAMF
Location: Chandler, AZ
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,049
Mein Auto: '07 Z4MC,'05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau335 View Post
One does exist, it's not overnight it specifies a maximum coolant temperature to check the valves at. It's possible they racked it at 7am changed all the fluids and got the valve cover ready then did it. A few hours should be enough, but that would involve tying that bay up for that time, which most places wont do.
That makes me feel better. I suspect this is what they did.. the shop is MASSIVE (something like 70 service bays) and business is slow right now (evidenced by the huge lineup of available loaner cars - in the past, sometimes I wouldn't get one). I know they were already at work by 10am as I got a call suggesting I shell out for a new set of rear tires.
__________________

'05 330Ci ZHP ..PD99819______________'07 Z4M Coupe ..LL93707
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM
jmillet's Avatar
jmillet jmillet is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 742
Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
35 degrees C

Quote:
Originally Posted by blau335 View Post
One does exist, it's not overnight it specifies a maximum coolant temperature to check the valves at. SNIP.
Per TIS Tech Data 11 34 the max coolant temp for S54 valve clearance check is 35 degrees C (95 degrees F). A couple of hours cool down ought to do the trick.
I prefer to do valve check/adjust when engine is over-night cold.
__________________
Jim Millet
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe'
Premium Package, Nav, HD Radio, Heated Seats, CDV Delete, RPI Scoop, Strong-Strut fire wall braces, TCK DA Coil Over Suspension with Camber/Caster plates.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-03-2009, 09:41 AM
blau335 blau335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fl
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 829
Mein Auto: 335
Dammit, I was just reading through the TIS to double check the clearance values and figured I'd post the coolant temp, but you beat me.

I wish I had a .28 feeler, but bmw doesn't even sell feelers even close to the min and max of the clearances, it's got to be a PITA. Inlet min is .18-.23, bmw techs are sold .15 .20 and .25 What if the valve is at .16 or .17? the .20 and .25 wont fit, but the .15 will, the tech would have to assume it's in spec, even though it would be tight. BMW does some dumb stuff sometimes.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqX7IIaXtkg Is it on a dyno? No.

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau335 View Post
Dammit, I was just reading through the TIS to double check the clearance values and figured I'd post the coolant temp, but you beat me.

I wish I had a .28 feeler, but bmw doesn't even sell feelers even close to the min and max of the clearances, it's got to be a PITA. Inlet min is .18-.23, bmw techs are sold .15 .20 and .25 What if the valve is at .16 or .17? the .20 and .25 wont fit, but the .15 will, the tech would have to assume it's in spec, even though it would be tight. BMW does some dumb stuff sometimes.
.007 and .009
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-03-2009, 11:30 AM
jmillet's Avatar
jmillet jmillet is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 742
Mein Auto: E86 Z4 M Coupe 7LM08376
Quote:
Originally Posted by blau335 View Post
Dammit, I was just reading through the TIS to double check the clearance values and figured I'd post the coolant temp, but you beat me.
I wish I had a .28 feeler, but bmw doesn't even sell feelers even close to the min and max of the clearances, it's got to be a PITA. Inlet min is .18-.23, bmw techs are sold .15 .20 and .25 What if the valve is at .16 or .17? the .20 and .25 wont fit, but the .15 will, the tech would have to assume it's in spec, even though it would be tight. BMW does some dumb stuff sometimes.
I use the Craftsman off-set leaf gauge, SKU 40802, price $9.99, that has blades ranging from .005" (.127mm) to .030" (.762mm). As pointed out by Ron the .007" (.178mm) and the .009" (.229mm) work for the intake valve clearance check and the .011" (.279mm) and .013" (.330mm) for the exhaust valves.
__________________
Jim Millet
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe'
Premium Package, Nav, HD Radio, Heated Seats, CDV Delete, RPI Scoop, Strong-Strut fire wall braces, TCK DA Coil Over Suspension with Camber/Caster plates.

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Ron Stygar's Avatar
Ron Stygar Ron Stygar is offline
19,585 Miles
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 11,143
Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmillet View Post
I use the Craftsman off-set leaf gauge, SKU 40802, price $9.99, that has blades ranging from .005" (.127mm) to .030" (.762mm). As pointed out by Ron the .007" (.178mm) and the .009" (.229mm) work for the intake valve clearance check and the .011" (.279mm) and .013" (.330mm) for the exhaust valves.
$15.84 total delivered tax and shipping.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...?keyword=40802
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-04-2009, 09:50 AM
blau335 blau335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fl
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 829
Mein Auto: 335
I think you guys missed the point, BMW only sells their techs feelers in .05mm increments I have feeler gauges that are appropriate (I have the same set as you actually), I'm talking about the monkies at the dealer. If they just used bmw tools customers would be boned.
__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqX7IIaXtkg Is it on a dyno? No.

TCK d/a coilovers, Stoptech 6/4 piston BBK, OEM CSL headers
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms