Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-17-2009, 10:59 AM
aka cngzsn

Mein Auto: 330i
How to get rid of the factory understeer on a stock car ;)

Lessons learned from a bad alignment... Read on (long, but I think informative).

So we all know that we're safer with what BMW chose for us, but hate that understeer. Here's what you can do about it without running a square setup, getting sway bars, or changing the suspension altogether. A little story first

I recently got new tires and have been driving on them for nearly 2 weeks without an alignment and finally found the time to get it done yesterday. Off to the shop and they came up with a "sport" alignment specs for my car. Computer also told us that no weights are necessary for the alignment...

An hour later the car is off the rack, I look at the rear tires and wow, looks great with -2.7 degree negative camber on each side and has a total toe-in of about 0.53 degrees.. Front cambers are at about -1.3 degree and there is a total front toe-in of about 0.28...

I was told that I would need a more negative camber up front, but I don't have adjustable camber plates, so that's all they can do, fine, and I'm out for a drive...

And it drives like a frigging FWD car! WTF?

Here's the catch:

Much less negative front camber than the rear, too much front toe-in makes the car understeer like crazy. Turn-in has decreased a lot and I find myself putting extra effort to make the car turn. Certainly not what I wanted.

So I start digging up the forums, and came with the following info. BMW aligns the car in such a way that it has some front toe-in for directional stability (and more tire wear!), and the front camber is not enough for a nice turn in (lets the front tires lose traction easily at a fast curve so you remember to slow down and do not die)... And in my case this imbalance is even more pronounced, since the rears sit at a -2.7 degree camber (when I sat in the driver's seat this camber went up to a whopping -3.5 on each side , which is why you should sit in the car while getting an alignment).

Here's what I did and what you can do to correct your stock specs:

0. Never get an alignment with no weights in the car. You can have the weights that the factory recommends on each seat, but better yet, sit behind the wheel with a full tank of gas.

1. Zero that front toe-in, these cars are not highway cruisers but twisty killers, so you can trade some of that directional stability for MUCH better turn in, less understeer, and better tire-wear.

2. Never run too much negative camber with that much toe-in in rear, you'll need new rear tires in NO TIME.

So, here's what I recommend on a street driven car:

Front:

Camber: Can't do much about the camber on a stock car, might as well keep it stock and take care of the toe only. If possible, run an aggressive camber up front, about -2 to -2.5 is an acceptable range.

Toe-in: 0 total toe-in. As close to 0.00 as possible per side.

Don't worry about the tire-wear with that much negative camber, which happens when too much negative camber is combined with too much toe-in (this will drag the tire on the inner side, whereas running an aggressive negative camber with no toe-in will simply cause it to "roll" on the inner side. Dragging the tire will cause it to wear quickly, rolling the tire won't).

Rear:

Camber: -2 degree negative camber with YOU SITTING BEHIND THE WHEEL.

Toe-in: 0.20 total toe-in (0.10 per side). Never toe-out on the rear wheels.

If you're not allowed to be there while getting an alignment, have them set the rear camber to -1.5 and total toe-in to 0.30.

I hope this helps somebody out there. It is extremely important to get a proper alignment, and you can have much better handling than what the factory decided for you and improve your tire wear while doing so.

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW 6MT - Sold
Kashmir Beige MetallicSamana BeigePoplar Wood e34 525it ZPP/Auto
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT

Last edited by SeanC; 07-18-2009 at 07:28 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
I recommend a bit of front toe OUT.
Old 07-17-2009, 02:47 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Excellent opinion and information.
Thank you Sean.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 07-17-2009, 02:47 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Good stuff.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Yeah, I think I have 1/16 out up front, 3/16 in out back. 0 up front will make the car a little twitchy in a straight line on the street... at least on the E46. Racers probably run 0.

-2.0 camber in the rear is the max I was told to run and that's what I have. -3.0 up front = killer (hard) cornering ability at speed.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 07-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
yeah, i think i have 1/16 out up front, 3/16 in out back. 0 up front will make the car a little twitchy in a straight line on the street... At least on the e46. Racers probably run 0.

-2.0 camber in the rear is the max i was told to run and that's what i have. -3.0 up front = killer (hard) cornering ability at speed.
+1!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:07 PM
aka cngzsn

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
I would, too, but I think it's a little bit unnecessary for the street. My commute is mostly highway, so I want to keep the directional stability a little bit while maximizing tire wear. If that doesn't make sense, please see my reply to Jeff below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Yeah, I think I have 1/16 out up front, 3/16 in out back. 0 up front will make the car a little twitchy in a straight line on the street... at least on the E46. Racers probably run 0.

-2.0 camber in the rear is the max I was told to run and that's what I have. -3.0 up front = killer (hard) cornering ability at speed.
I think any toe-out up front would be more responsive but less stable than a zero toe. So I would assume that racers run a negative (toe-out) toe than 0 up front, which is certainly what you and Kris are running

Sapphire Black MetallicNatural BrownSilver Cube e46 330i ZHP/ZCW 6MT - Sold
Kashmir Beige MetallicSamana BeigePoplar Wood e34 525it ZPP/Auto
HellrotDove Grey e36 ///M3 - RIP
Alpine WhiteTanSand High Gloss e46 330i SunRoofLess/5MT